Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about current setup with 9 tuners

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   skreemer7

skreemer7

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

I have a question as to how my directv setup is currently wired. I currently have a genie and 2 HD-DVRs for a total of 9 tuners. I remember the tech getting a little frustrated when he installed the genie and after doing a whole bunch of reading I see that the swm lnb has a limit of 8.

From my understanding, for a 9 tuner setup, I would need a standard lnb with 4 wires going to a swm 16 or using a splitter 4 wires each going to 2 swm 8s.

When I look outside, here's my setup (I will post pics later). I have 2 cables coming down from the satellite, each going to its own 8 way switch (not sure if these are swms or not, they look just like a regular 1-8 switch). On one of the 8 way switch is one cable which goes to my genie, which is also where the power inserter and cinema kit are installed on the receiver side. The other 8 way switch has 2 cables coming out, one for each of my other 2 receivers.

I don't understand what type of setup this is. I have whole home viewing working and on demand works as well, but both of these have been flaky in the past. My understanding is for deca to work it has to be on the same "switch." is this why I am having some stability problems?

My plan was to move all my receivers to one switch and disable one tuner on my receiver upstairs. Would this work and increase my deca stability? This would mean I have a swm lnb since I have just one cable going into the 8 way splitter, but that 2nd one is throwing me off. I could not find a setup to match that.

As a side, is it possible to disable one tuner of the 5 on the genie?

I will try to post pics later today.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,793 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

It is possible there is an SWM-16 installed at or near the dish, with four coax from the dish to the SWM-16, then the two coax from the SWM-16 to the splitters you mention.  If that is the case, it should be working properly.

If there is but one coax from the actual dish (LNB), then it would be an SWM LNB which is limited to 8 tuners. There would have to be a splitter someplace at or near the dish in order for you to get 2 coax coming down to the other 2 splitters you identified.

There is no need for an 8-way splitter before your Genie. You could remove that entirely and replace it with a barrel connector.  You could replace the other 8-way splitter with a 2-way splitter (make sure it is a green labeled DirecTV splitter).

You are correct in that you need an SWM-16. It is designed to support whole-home between the two 8 tuner segments that it has; you don't need to put everything on a single leg/coax from an SWM16.

If you really have an SWM LNB, a temporary solution would be to limit one of your DVRs to one tuner. But the correct answer is to call and get an installer back out to replace the LNB and install an SWM16.

#3 OFFLINE   skreemer7

skreemer7

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

Reading some more, I have some more thoughts. I need to look near the roof but I'm guessing I have a swm16 near the dish and then 2 wires coming down to my 8 way splitters. In that case Why could I have stability issues with receivers occasionally disappearing from the Network.

EDIT: missed the above post.

Edited by skreemer7, 11 July 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

The thing that pops into my head first is that if your SWM is close to the dish then there could be cable length issues. In my testing I have found that using an 8-way splitter, receivers begin to have problems seeing each other if there is more than 150 cable-feet between them, in other words two 75-foot runs could actually be causing problems. 

As carl6 pointed out, the best way to deal with this is to simply go to smaller splitters or no splitter at all if possible. If you only need four outputs on a splitter use a 1x4, and if you only need one, use a barrel connector -- but be sure it is rated for satellite use. Generally (but not always) the satellite-rated ones have blue centers.

There are some excellent resources out there on the web for testing the performance of whole-home/coax networking, and excellent third-party sellers who specialize in offering splitters and barrels for this purpose. As a moderator here I don't endorse any outside sites but I'm sure that others here can point you in the right direction. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

I have a question as to how my directv setup is currently wired. I currently have a genie and 2 HD-DVRs for a total of 9 tuners. I remember the tech getting a little frustrated when he installed the genie and after doing a whole bunch of reading I see that the swm lnb has a limit of 8.

From my understanding, for a 9 tuner setup, I would need a standard lnb with 4 wires going to a swm 16 or using a splitter 4 wires each going to 2 swm 8s.

When I look outside, here's my setup (I will post pics later). I have 2 cables coming down from the satellite, each going to its own 8 way switch (not sure if these are swms or not, they look just like a regular 1-8 switch). On one of the 8 way switch is one cable which goes to my genie, which is also where the power inserter and cinema kit are installed on the receiver side. The other 8 way switch has 2 cables coming out, one for each of my other 2 receivers.

I don't understand what type of setup this is. I have whole home viewing working and on demand works as well, but both of these have been flaky in the past. My understanding is for deca to work it has to be on the same "switch." is this why I am having some stability problems?

My plan was to move all my receivers to one switch and disable one tuner on my receiver upstairs. Would this work and increase my deca stability? This would mean I have a swm lnb since I have just one cable going into the 8 way splitter, but that 2nd one is throwing me off. I could not find a setup to match that.

As a side, is it possible to disable one tuner of the 5 on the genie?

I will try to post pics later today.

I

would suggest you call D* back and have it wired correctly (at no cost to you)  

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,683 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

You either don't have a SWiM16 or the SWiM16 is in a non-accessible location. Either case is equal to a bad install.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,687 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Having a swim 16 hidden from plain view isn't a bad install. Using a splitter, much less an 8 way when no splitter should even be used is terrible.

I'd suggest checking out solid signal for dtv approved 2 way splitter and barrel connector if he doesn't want to call dtv about it. Also if you do change make sure you unplug everything before adjusting and then make sure you boot up the swim power supply first before the receivers.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

I'd want someone to look over what the original installer did if the installation is within the 30 day window. If they used two 8-way splitters, who knows what other issues there might be?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,683 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

Having a swim 16 hidden from plain view isn't a bad install. Using a splitter, much less an 8 way when no splitter should even be used is terrible.

I'd suggest checking out solid signal for dtv approved 2 way splitter and barrel connector if he doesn't want to call dtv about it. Also if you do change make sure you unplug everything before adjusting and then make sure you boot up the swim power supply first before the receivers.

You either don't have a SWiM16 or the SWiM16 is in a non-accessible location. Either case is equal to a bad install.

Hidden & non-accessible are not synonyms.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

why would a "non-accessible" switch be a bad install?  I and a service call where the SWM16 was about knee high from the ground. I  had to move it about midway on up on the side of the house since it was bien chew on by critters??  where I installed the SWM16 is considered un-accesible"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   skreemer7

skreemer7

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I do have a swm just by the dish with 2 wires coming down. I connected the single receiver with a barell connector and left the other 2 on the 8 way switch for now. I actually used a couple extra deca adapters to get Internet to my den and everything is working great.

#12 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,687 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hidden & non-accessible are not synonyms.

Unless they installed it and then built and finished a wall around it, its not really anymore un accessible as it was when it was actually installed, and I don't think that's what happened here, do you?  And therefor, its just hidden as far as I am concerned.  Un accessible means you'd have to tear something out to get to it.  Otherwise you could call putting it behind a panel that requires the removal of four screws unaccessable.

#13 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,687 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I do have a swm just by the dish with 2 wires coming down. I connected the single receiver with a barell connector and left the other 2 on the 8 way switch for now. I actually used a couple extra deca adapters to get Internet to my den and everything is working great.

Great to hear!

spam firewall