Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WIRELESS A/V AND DIRECTV

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts
  • LocationDALLAS TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Hi All

I have an old tube type Samsung monitor out in my enclosed patio that is fed by a $50 converter box for OTA viewing. The system works great but I like to watch baseball in the evening and the only way I can get baseball is with DTV.

I have used wireless A/V years ago and was not impressed, so I did a little research and bought a 5.8GHZ unit from Monoprice for a littlr less then $60.  From everything I read, 2.4MHZ can be a problem so 5.8GHZ is the way to go.

The unit is well built, hooked up easy and puts out a good picture at my house.  I hooked up the Yellow/Red/White on the back of my HR34 to the transmitter.  Its well known that you will get a NAG screen about HD cables, follow the directions in the NAG screen and everything works fine. A Component/Composite box can be bought from monoprice for a little more then $40 that removes the Nag screen if you want to go that way.

The household system must have remotes set to RF so the DTV box can be controlled from the patio. There are IR extenders that would also work. All this works fine at my house

The only problem I have is the very hot temperatures on my patio,110F, knocks ot the 5.8 receiver but when it cools down to 100F it starts working again.  Either way I am not out on the patio at those temperatures so its no problem

All in all I like the device.

SSTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,275 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Personally I'd stay off the patio until the temperature got down to the low 80's.  :sure:

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#3 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

Run some RG6 out there and get a receiver. No need to worrry about temp., nag screens or wireless issues to save a few bucks. Been there done that out by my pool. Best thing I ever did was run the cable and do it the right way. I now have a 46" flat screen out there and am looking to add an AVR.

#4 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 226 posts
  • LocationDALLAS TX

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

Hi All

90+ is not bad in Dallas if you have a fan (HA) because of low humidity and yes a full DTV install on the patio is the best solution but also the most expensive. What I have done is to show how to enjoy DTV on a occasional basis IE a guest room or the kitchen. All you need is a 120 volt outlet. My 5.8 unit is not critical on location and works great.

SSTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...