Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What's better than thousands of part-time jobs paying minimum wage or slightly more? Answer--NO jobs!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,355 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

So let's throw the baby out with the bathwater by singling out the world's largest employer, passing a law that causes said employer to take its presence--and thousands of jobs--elsewhere, rather than letting this company hire like other retailers do.

It never ceases to amaze me how such stupid officials fail to grasp simple economics.  :rolleyes:

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

There are places where a local government can pull that off and places where it can't.  DC is a place where it can't.  DC only has one hardware superstore, not because it is too small for more than one or that it has laws that restrict profits, but because real estate is much cheaper in adjacent, nearby Maryland, and it has had to beg food supermarkets to open there or stay there just because the market economics don't work out for them.  Basically, if you want to buy groceries in Washington, DC, you have to go to a CVS store for them.

Edited by AntAltMike, 11 July 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,091 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

There really needs to be a raise to minimum wage. Big companies like WalMart can easily afford it, but they'd rather stuff their own pockets... and there's nothing wrong with that. However, minimum wages are a joke.

• Bronxiniowa likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

However, minimum wages are a joke.

Then why not eliminate it altogether? Let competition among employers set the pay. Besides, increasing it leads to a surge in unemployment among the young more than any other group. The last federal hike ended up giving way to youth unemployment of 25%. 

Just throwing it out there.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#5 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,738 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

I agree that Walmart makes a lot of money.

On the flip side of that they save people money every day.

My mother was paying over $400 each month for her medicines. Now with using the Walmart drug store she is paying a little bit over $100.

I buy my medicines there now also. The huge $4 per prescription list is worth a ton to me.

An item that my son has for breakfast every day cost $4.38 for a box of 10 at Walmart. That same item at CVS is $7.98.

I do almost all my shopping at Walmart.

Edited by jimmie57, 11 July 2013 - 01:16 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,132 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Then why not eliminate it altogether? Let competition among employers set the pay. Besides, increasing it leads to a surge in unemployment among the young more than any other group. The last federal hike ended up giving way to youth unemployment of 25%. 

Yep, yes go back to when the working man had zero rights -- to the era of servitude.

• sigma1914 and Bronxiniowa like this
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,091 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Many companies kinda already do dictate minimum wages... by outsourcing for significant lower wages.

• Bronxiniowa likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yep, yes go back to when the working man had zero rights -- to the era of servitude.

Poppycock! That's so Industrial Revolution. Ain't gonna happen. 

#9 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Many companies kinda already do dictate minimum wages... by outsourcing for significant lower wages.

Perhaps we ought to make it more financially appealing, then, for companies to keep their jobs within rather than without. 

• Bronxiniowa likes this

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,091 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Exactly, we'll have a new era of child labor and servitude.

#11 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

--- sigma1914 & Drucifer

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,091 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Perhaps we ought to make it more financially appealing, then, for companies to keep their jobs within rather than without. 

More tax breaks for insourcing? There's enough tax breaks for big business already.

#13 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Overhauling the income tax code for businesses (as well as individuals) would be a start. Getting rid of all those loopholes and simplifying things would help. I don't think I ever said more tax breaks are needed, but there are monetary means to incentivize companies to not outsource.

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,091 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Overhauling the income tax code for businesses (as well as individuals) would be a start. Getting rid of all those loopholes and simplifying things would help. I don't think I ever said more tax breaks are needed, but there are monetary means to incentivize companies to not outsource.

Like what to be incentives? It's hard to beat paying a person in India $3 a day for what costs $8-9 a hour here.

#15 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

I'm sure there are ways we can motivate a company to keep jobs here. It can be done. We just need to figure out how. FWIW, ABC World News Tonight has had a long-running series called "Made in America" that deals with this subject. 

#16 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,091 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

Higher wages equals workers having more money to spend. Workers having more money to spend equals more profit for businesses. More profit for businesses equals more jobs for workers.

Keeping wages low hurts everyone, especially workers, but also the businesses cutting the paychecks.
Clearly, WalMart isn't catching on to this.

#17 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

So using your logic, we should require businesses to pay, say, $30/hour (do I hear $50? $60? $100?), because, after all, the workers will have more money to spend?

Competition in the market place will lead to higher wages. Minimum wages do just that--they keep wages, and workers' income you so wish to augment--at a minimum, lower than they otherwise would be (in most cases, because there will always be those who try and screw others). Minimum wage doesn't mean a company has to pay "at least this amount". Instead, minimum wage means, "I can get away with not having to pay my employees more than 'this' amount." 

#18 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

I've always been of a mind that corporate taxes are a scam that the government uses to hide how much we pay in taxes. Think about it, who pays corporate taxes? I know a lot of people would think big profitable companies should have to pay taxes because they can afford to and therefore that means the rest of us pay less right?  Well that's what the government wants you to believe anyway. No what really happens is that companies raise their prices and fees for services so they cover the cost of paying those taxes and who buys their products and services?! If you said "you and me" then you're a winner! That's right we the consumer pay the cost of corporate taxes and because it's hidden as an included cost of their product and services we don't notice and somehow think that means we're actually paying less in taxes. Corporate taxes should be banned, they are sneaky and dishonest to the consumer and taxpayer. And that's before we even talk about how companies are always buying and selling tax breaks and loopholes via contributions to congress.

Edited by tsmacro, 11 July 2013 - 02:13 PM.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#19 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

You do know that in small businesses, which make up the bulk of this country's workforce, income is taxed twice--there's the corporate tax of the business as its own entity, then there's the personal income tax of the small business owner. He's zonked twice, once as an individual, then again as the business owner. This is so wrong.

#20 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

You do know that in small businesses, which make up the bulk of this country's workforce, income is taxed twice--there's the corporate tax of the business as its own entity, then there's the personal income tax of the small business owner. He's zonked twice, once as an individual, then again as the business owner. This is so wrong.

Yeah there are so many things wrong with our tax system it's not even funny. They just need to scrap the whole damn thing and start over. I'd be all for anything that's primarily set up for actually collecting revenue for needed government services that's transparent and easy to understand. Hell if you did it right you probably wouldn't even need the IRS anymore or at least end up with a very scaled-down version of it. These days the tax system is more about trying to influence behaviour and giving special favors to those who line your pockets .

• 1980ws likes this

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...