Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Bridge

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

I played at WGBH a couple of times, and ran into Julia Childs there in the stairwell. She was about as tall as me, about 6-2 then. Once I was there in a 3-man orchestra for a live radio broadcast of Archibald MacLeish's "Fall of the City", and the second time my band was playing for their yearly telethon. And I was on David Silver's "What's Happening Mr. Silver?" on WGBH-TV.

Question about The Bridge: What does Hastings do business-wise with Alma when we first see them hanging out at lunchtime? And how did Hastings know his wife and son were killed by hit-and-run scumbag Jr. Sol or whatever his name was? And what was the stripper scene at the open with Jr. Sol and Frye all about? It looked like Frye was playing him in some way.

Don't forget that this is a general thread about The Bridge, so watch out for spoilers... To try to answer your questions...

Spoiler

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Merg's hidden message makes sense. It was a flashback, no?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#63 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,537 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

I had all those same questions. And more:

How does everyone seem to come and go between Mexico and U.S. so easily? Why does Alma appear to work in US or the boyfriend appear to work in Mexico? It's mm ot eeally that easy, right?

What does the shrink have to do with any of it? Were we supposed to know him when he was killed?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#64 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Dang, I just went to IMDB, which has great synopsis's (synopsi?) of Breaking Bad, for example, but nada, nada, nada.

I have ruled out Detective Jim Cooper, though!   :)

Too many questions unanswered for me. May have to re-watch, paying more attention. (leaving the laptop closed).

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#65 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

Great show. Getting better all the time. Love Sonja.

#66 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

I had all those same questions. And more:

How does everyone seem to come and go between Mexico and U.S. so easily? Why does Alma appear to work in US or the boyfriend appear to work in Mexico? It's mm ot eeally that easy, right?

What does the shrink have to do with any of it? Were we supposed to know him when he was killed?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

Spoiler

#67 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

How does everyone seem to come and go between Mexico and U.S. so easily? Why does Alma appear to work in US or the boyfriend appear to work in Mexico?

From USA Today:

El Paso, Texas, is on the border of Mexico, across which is the large city of Juarez, a major trade and transportation hub. Traveling between Texas and Mexico is relatively easy, and thousands of Mexicans and Americans cross the border daily for work, school or shopping. However, bear in mind that drug-related violence has plagued Juarez for a number of years and traveling through Mexico can be unsafe. The U.S. Department of State issued a travel warning for Mexico in late 2010.

And while the Homeland Security website on the SENTRI pass program makes it sound like a big deal, more commercial web sites describe it like this one does which is how it is:

Who is eligible for a SENTRI Pass?

Anyone can apply. There are no restrictions on how many times you cross the border.

However, the SENTRI Pass system is designed for 'low risk' people. People with any penalties, violations, convictions, or pending law enforcement investigations will not be considered for the SENTRI Pass program.

How does it work?

There are special SENTRI Pass only lanes at many of the busy border crossing points (see list below). It is similar to a carpool lane or FastTrack toll booth lane. SENTRI Pass holders can use these lanes which are significantly less populated. When you approach the border, you present your electronic SENTRI Pass card, and it is scanned by a machine. SENTRI Pass holders also have a transponder adhered to the vehicle's windshield which also communicates with the border patrol computer system. This quick scanning system allows SENTRI Pass holders to pass through the border at a rate of about 10 seconds per vehicle.

It really isn't any harder for regular travel back and forth than it is across the Canadian border.

People forget that much of the American Southwest was a part of Mexico until 160 years ago which by European standards of wars changing borders was yesterday. Some people in the El Paso and Juarez areas have family and economic ties going back 200 years or more, a length of time that far exceeds most of my ancestors coming to this continent.

Edited by phrelin, 30 August 2013 - 11:38 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#68 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:54 AM

*******************************SPOILER ALERT***************************************************************

(there should be an icon above to do this right, I'm not a code monkey)

Why didn't Gus simply strangle Hastings when he had the chance in the car?? All he had to do was loop the cuffs over his head and pull!!

And why didn't Ruiz simply pull his gun on Hastings and take him into custody at their rendezvous? Hastings didn't promise to take him to his son, so why not just arrest the douche??

And why couldn't anyone notice the LOUD water running in Hasting's uncle's place??

And earlier, Gus was told to meet Hastings somewhere via the impostor texting. He was on his way there when he met the girl who denied the texting. So why wasn't that meeting place a HUGE deal??? Yet it was never referred to again.

And how did Hastings magically know about Son Jr. being the one who killed his wife? Or the obscure Daniel Fry connection? Or his wife's affair with Ruiz? And why did he kill the shrink who just prescribed him some painkillers?

Loose ends all over the place.

#69 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:39 AM

Here's what i can never figure out about TV shows or movies:

Why is it that all law enforcement get about 100' from their suspect and yell "police, don't move"?

Or everyone running from the villain who is chasing them in a car, run a straight line down the middle of the road?

But if I think about it too much, I get upset, turn off the TV and pick up a book. :)

#70 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,833 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

If they ran a crooked line it would be harder for the camera to keep up with them.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#71 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

*******************************SPOILER ALERT***************************************************************

(there should be an icon above to do this right, I'm not a code monkey)

[ spoiler ] Spoiler text [ /spoiler ]

Remove the spaces inside the brackets...

- Merg

#72 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,537 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

Did anyone else think that Hasting's was going to grab Sonya while she was at the Uncle's house alone, in massive pain?  They spent a lot of unnecessary camera time on her at the kitchen counter, doubled over in pain and taking pain pills.  I kept waiting for Hastings to appear from behind her and either hit her over the head, or shoot her.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#73 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Did anyone else think that Hasting's was going to grab Sonya while she was at the Uncle's house alone, in massive pain?  They spent a lot of unnecessary camera time on her at the kitchen counter, doubled over in pain and taking pain pills.  I kept waiting for Hastings to appear from behind her and either hit her over the head, or shoot her.

Sorry. Didn't think that.

- Merg

#74 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

[ spoiler ] Spoiler text [ /spoiler ]

Remove the spaces inside the brackets...

- Merg

Can't we just get a code icon for this in the header like all the other functions?

• oldschoolecw likes this

#75 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Can't we just get a code icon for this in the header like all the other functions?

It's a great idea

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#76 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

I like the show but it is awfully sloppy and uneven. They keep cutting away to the Stephen Linder subplot which never goes anywhere.

It would be fascinating now to see the original Swedish/Danish production, in which the bridge runs between Sweden and Denmark. Not hard to picture a beautiful blonde cold-as-fish Swedish woman as Sonya. Aren't they all like that? :rolling: And which country gets to be the upright, civilized nation and the other the depraved fourth-world psychotic hell?? Maybe they drew straws...

ThebridgeAU.png

Edited by Maruuk, 15 September 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#77 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

Or how about if you're going to talk about the events of a specific episode you start a thread for that episode per the forum rules?  :D

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#78 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

Oh, you mean like every other general show topic that also mentions show specifics? Hopefully you're going around to each of them and lecturing them as well.

#79 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Oh, you mean like every other general show topic that also mentions show specifics? Hopefully you're going around to each of them and lecturing them as well.

OK, I'll bite since I don't usually say anything about this problem.

So far we haven't succumbed to the Twitter "blurt out anything that crosses your mind" model here. It's admittedly harder to have the discipline to type - using brackets [ ] -

{spoiler} around the discussion {/spoiler}  

or starting an episode thread with a title like Mad Men: "In Care Of" OAD 6/23/13 ***SPOILERS***.

I don't subscribe to a "never mention" rule in general threads, but I try to be careful not to violate the spirit of the TV Show Talk Forum rules. Personally, I'm not bothered by spoilers but I understand that many are. My wife doesn't even like me to tell her its the season/series finale until she sees the show.

No one is going to be booted from the Forum for violating the spoiler rule a few times over the years. But it is just common courtesy we should give each other. I personally would prefer we not become part of the "Twitter-verse" approach to posting here.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#80 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hate spoilers. I don't even like the previews for the next episode.

It's gotten to the point here I won't go into a thread unless I'm caught up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...