Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tech Visit - Problems With C31?, Got A HR44...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

The "usual" C31 problems were increasingly plaguing my C31's connection to my HR34, grey screens, very slow remote response, etc. and I finally called D* on Tuesday and scheduled a tech visit for today.  He rooted around for awhile and then replaced the LMB on the dish, both multiswitches, fine tuned the dish orientation, then he whipped out a HR44 to replace my HR34! Oddly he left the original C31 and I didn't think to ask for a C41 to replace it until after he left.  All the coax is new from last October's D* install.  Everything is working well now and even though I lost all my recordings I'm still pretty pleased with his "scorched earth" approach to tech support. The HR44 is FAST! 

DirecTV subscriber since 1994

HR44-700 -> 60" Panasonic Plasma
HR24-100 -> 50" Panasonic Plasma
C31 -> 22" Junk Magnavox LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

The "usual" C31 problems were increasingly plaguing my C31's connection to my HR34, grey screens, very slow remote response, etc. and I finally called D* on Tuesday and scheduled a tech visit for today.  He rooted around for awhile and then replaced the LMB on the dish, both multiswitches, fine tuned the dish orientation, then he whipped out a HR44 to replace my HR34! Oddly he left the original C31 and I didn't think to ask for a C41 to replace it until after he left.  All the coax is new from last October's D* install.  Everything is working well now and even though I lost all my recordings I'm still pretty pleased with his "scorched earth" approach to tech support. The HR44 is FAST! 

Great score!

How much faster would you say the HR44 is over the HR34?  A 'Tad', very noticeably, or freaking fast?  Just curious!

#3 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

The speed deltas were published in the HR44-500 Second Look.

#4 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Great score!

How much faster would you say the HR44 is over the HR34?  A 'Tad', very noticeably, or freaking fast?  Just curious!

I'd say "noticeably".  Accessing recorded content from the HR34 to my HR24 loads faster and listing the content on both machines rips.  Scrolling the guide and the list is also much faster on the HR34.  Bootups on the HR34 is really faster than the HR34.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994

HR44-700 -> 60" Panasonic Plasma
HR24-100 -> 50" Panasonic Plasma
C31 -> 22" Junk Magnavox LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,864 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

There is a YouTube video review of the hr44 where the reviewer does a split screen comparison between hr34 and hr44.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,146 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

I'd say "noticeably".  Accessing recorded content from the HR34 to my HR24 loads faster and listing the content on both machines rips.  Scrolling the guide and the list is also much faster on the HR34.  Bootups on the HR34 is really faster than the HR34.

Mike is asking bout '44-> '34 comparisons. He may be looking for one or more of us to put our collective feet in our mouth....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,645 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

Great score!

The speed comparison between the HR34 and HR44 is listed in the "HR44-500 Second Look" which I'm sure you are aware of. Guide (going from 100 to 200 including ads) HR34 7.5 seconds - HR44 5.3 seconds......Playlist (96 items) HR34 8.8 seconds - HR44 7.2 seconds......Channel Change (between 2 HD channels) HR34 4.2 seconds - HR44 3.4 seconds......Reboot (from moment you get front panel lights to live TV) HR34 6 minutes 2 seconds - HR44 2 minutes 7 seconds. Given these figures the HR44 is slightly faster than the HR34 when using the Guide, Playlist, and Channel Changing. The HR44 is significantly faster than the HR34 when rebooting.  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

Laxguy and MysteryMan so helpful as always... !rolling   I get it - you think the HR44 is a tad bit faster etc..  I'm sure DirecTV appreciates the help and that you guys are always there to back them up!

Just looking for his honest personal opinion on the 'feel' of the 44 vs the 34 and I think that's what he gave me.  Thanks Hotelone by the way!

Thanks Stuart - I'll check out that video again.

I don't care all that much about the speed of changing channels or boot up speed.  Most important to me is that when I push down arrow 5 times and right arrow 3 times I actually end up there.  Both HR34's I've played with were considerably less responsive when actively recording/running clients  than my HR24s when they are recording.  The C31 client response I would classify as 'unusable' for anything but the occasional use.  I'd push down arrow on the C31 3 or 4 times and it would clunk down 7 or 8 lines.  Blah...

#9 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,645 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

Laxguy and MysteryMan so helpful as always... !rolling   I get it - you think the HR44 is a tad bit faster etc..  I'm sure DirecTV appreciates the help and that you guys are always there to back them up!

Just looking for his honest personal opinion on the 'feel' of the 44 vs the 34 and I think that's what he gave me.  Thanks Hotelone by the way!

Thanks Stuart - I'll check out that video again.

I don't care all that much about the speed of changing channels or boot up speed.  Most important to me is that when I push down arrow 5 times and right arrow 3 times I actually end up there.  Both HR34's I've played with were considerably less responsive when actively recording/running clients  than my HR24s when they are recording.  The C31 client response I would classify as 'unusable' for anything but the occasional use.  I'd push down arrow on the C31 3 or 4 times and it would clunk down 7 or 8 lines.  Blah...

You are correct. We're helpful because unlike you we present facts instead of opinions. The HR44's Guide speed edge over the HR34's is 2.2 seconds, it's Playlist speed edge is 1.6 seconds, and it's Channel Changing speed edge is .8 second. Do those figures make it "significantly" faster than the HR34? No. "Slightly" faster? Yes. Your posts are conflicting. In post #2 you ask Hotelone how much faster the HR44 is than the HR34 yet in post #8 you state "I don't care all that much about the speed of changing channels or boot up speed". I guess you're one of those who want having their cake and eating it too. :sure:  I have yet to hear of mass reports of people experiencing arrow pushing issues and response issues when actively recording/running clients as you have had with your HR34's so it would appear to be a isolated incident rather than the norm. But I'm sure DirecTV appreciates the help and that you are always there to back them up! :sure:     

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

MysteryMan facts...  Hmm...

It seems that most people think the speed increase is higher than your 'facts'.  To each his own.

I don't see the conflict between posts...  When I push a button I want an immediate response - I care more about that than channel changing speed or boot up speed.  I don't boot often and I don't channel surf.  Doesn't seem to hard to understand...

I don't have an HR34 - I was using a neighbors HR34/C31 and another friend of mine.  I know I'm not going to convince you of anything - not even trying to do so.  I'm just trying to find out if I should bother with the HR44.

The over-all consensus,  including Hotelone,  is that the HR44 is more than a tad increase in speed - except of course you and Laxguy that only see a small increase in performance.

#11 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

I'm having the same issues also... did you have to pay for the upgrade to the HR44?  Maybe I'll have to do the same in order to get these problems fixed.  Also I was under the assumption that the C31 would not work with the HR44... so yours is working good?  What about after a few days?  Thanks!

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,146 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

Mike-

1. You'll not be happy with the HR44.

2. Hotelone was talking about 24/34, unless he wasn't, but that's what he wrote.

3. Consensus means "over all".....

4. Speed is in the eye of the user, and as you point out, boot time isn't all that important.

5. For me, I stick by my statement that the 44 is a tad faster than the 34. 

6. No need to try to belittle me because I disagree with much of—and how—you post. 

• MysteryMan likes this

#13 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,645 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

MysteryMan facts...  Hmm...

It seems that most people think the speed increase is higher than your 'facts'.  To each his own.

I don't see the conflict between posts...  When I push a button I want an immediate response - I care more about that than channel changing speed or boot up speed.  I don't boot often and I don't channel surf.  Doesn't seem to hard to understand...

I don't have an HR34 - I was using a neighbors HR34/C31 and another friend of mine.  I know I'm not going to convince you of anything - not even trying to do so.  I'm just trying to find out if I should bother with the HR44.

The over-all consensus,  including Hotelone,  is that the HR44 is more than a tad increase in speed - except of course you and Laxguy that only see a small increase in performance.

If you read post #7 you'll see where my facts came from (HR44-500 Second Look). Again, in post #2 you're asking about speed differences between the HR34 and HR44 but in post #8 you stated you don't care all that much about the speed of changing channels or boot up speed. Now you're stating you want a "immediate" response when you push a button. You choose to use the speed issue when it's convenient for you. But like you posted, to each his own. :sure:   

#14 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Mike-

1. You'll not be happy with the HR44.

2. Hotelone was talking about 24/34, unless he wasn't, but that's what he wrote.

3. Consensus means "over all".....

4. Speed is in the eye of the user, and as you point out, boot time isn't all that important.

5. For me, I stick by my statement that the 44 is a tad faster than the 34. 

6. No need to try to belittle me because I disagree with much of—and how—you post. 

Why do you say "You'll not be happy with the HR44"?  Just wondering.... I currently have HR34 and overall been happy with it but less satisfied with the C31 Mini Clients response time... So for me anything that would help that issue is worth doing if I have to do the same as Hotelone.  So for me I don't have a reason at this point to upgrade to the HR44 other than if it would help the mini clients.

#15 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

I call uncle!  You guys win!  The HR44 is only a tad faster than the HR34.  Belittle you?  Right - maybe you should your own posts.

Apparently I lack the skills to explain 'speed' of DirecTV equipment.

I realize DirecTV is a religion to some of you and I apologize for not feeling the same way.  Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Hotelone - if you could clarify your post on the speed difference between your old HR34 and your new HR44 I for one would appreciate it.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Why do you say "You'll not be happy with the HR44"?  Just wondering.... I currently have HR34 and overall been happy with it but less satisfied with the C31 Mini Clients response time... So for me anything that would help that issue is worth doing if I have to do the same as Hotelone.  So for me I don't have a reason at this point to upgrade to the HR44 other than if it would help the mini clients.

That was just a dig at me....  I don't think he means 'you' won't be happy.  

#17 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Maybe... I don't think we need to argue what boxes are how much faster or whatever though.  Obviously the HR44 is going to be "faster" than the HR34 since it is newer and has newer hardware... Just like any electronic equipment a newer box is going to be faster.  For me overall just want my equipment to work like it should as I think we all want.  It seemed to me those guys were just stating the tested speeds between the boxes which I think is nice... and you were asking about the feel of the speed, maybe a misunderstanding but I think we're all here for the same reasons to help and get each others opinions.  I did watch the comparison video and the HR44 does seem much faster in the channel guide over the HR34 which I think is one area that most people would care about like you stated over other areas like boot time, etc...  Overall I'm comfortable with the speed of my HR34 but yeah more speed would always be nicer!  :yesman:

#18 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Maybe... I don't think we need to argue what boxes are how much faster or whatever though.  Obviously the HR44 is going to be "faster" than the HR34 since it is newer and has newer hardware... Just like any electronic equipment a newer box is going to be faster.  For me overall just want my equipment to work like it should as I think we all want.  It seemed to me those guys were just stating the tested speeds between the boxes which I think is nice... and you were asking about the feel of the speed, maybe a misunderstanding but I think we're all here for the same reasons to help and get each others opinions.  I did watch the comparison video and the HR44 does seem much faster in the channel guide over the HR34 which I think is one area that most people would care about like you stated over other areas like boot time, etc...  Overall I'm comfortable with the speed of my HR34 but yeah more speed would always be nicer!  :yesman:

I think you are correct - most people here are able and willing to help.  There are some here that would argue that rain is not wet just because I posted it....

You're right about the video - there the HR44 looks much faster scrolling through the guide over the HR34.  I was hoping to get an unbiased opinion from someone and Hotelone looks like a perfect person to get the skinny from.

Glad to hear you are comfortable with the speed of your HR34.  We need more people around here willing to just post the real deal.

#19 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think you are correct - most people here are able and willing to help.  There are some here that would argue that rain is not wet just because I posted it....

You're right about the video - there the HR44 looks much faster scrolling through the guide over the HR34.  I was hoping to get an unbiased opinion from someone and Hotelone looks like a perfect person to get the skinny from.

Glad to hear you are comfortable with the speed of your HR34.  We need more people around here willing to just post the real deal.

Yes, I would like to hear more of Hotelone's thoughts also since I'm mostly having problem with the C31 Mini Clients and would like to get those issues resolved one way or another... if that means having a tech look at my setup and putting in an HR44 also.  I'm getting sick of not being able to pause a show properly from the C31 clients every time the kids or wife need something and missing half a show or having to rewind, etc... and also listening to the wife complain that it doesn't work good.  I keep hoping for an update or something but at this point it's just wishful thinking since this has mostly been going on since I upgraded to the system 10 months ago.  On the other hand I don't want to upgrade to an HR44 since I don't want to lose all my shows that I have recorded either... just want my equipment to work!  :)

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,146 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Not a dig, Mike. But your posting history is replete with complaints and then long arguments about.... almost any aspect of any hardware.

So, yes, I meant Mike won't be happy, a prediction, to be sure, but one in which I have a high degree of confidence. Most others will be more than satisfied. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...