Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tech Visit - Problems With C31?, Got A HR44...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Not a dig, Mike. But your posting history is replete with complaints and then long arguments about.... almost any aspect of any hardware.

So, yes, I meant Mike won't be happy, a prediction, to be sure, but one in which I have a high degree of confidence. Most others will be more than satisfied. 

Not a dig?  Ok, if you say so...

Yep - I do have a history of complaints about DirecTV HRs.  To this day every DirecTV DVR with the possible exception of the HR44 is slower than my 5 maybe 6 year old Dish Network HD DRV.  When DirecTV engineering get the speed of their DVRs up to 5 year old Dish Network speed I'll stop complaining.  Maybe the HR44 is it...  Unless of course you are correct and it is only a tad bit faster then I guess we'll have to wait another 5 years for DirecTV to catch up.

Edited by Mike Greer, 12 July 2013 - 11:00 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Yes, I would like to hear more of Hotelone's thoughts also since I'm mostly having problem with the C31 Mini Clients and would like to get those issues resolved one way or another... if that means having a tech look at my setup and putting in an HR44 also.  I'm getting sick of not being able to pause a show properly from the C31 clients every time the kids or wife need something and missing half a show or having to rewind, etc... and also listening to the wife complain that it doesn't work good.  I keep hoping for an update or something but at this point it's just wishful thinking since this has mostly been going on since I upgraded to the system 10 months ago.  On the other hand I don't want to upgrade to an HR44 since I don't want to lose all my shows that I have recorded either... just want my equipment to work!  :)

Hopefully he'll post back even with the nasty tone this thread has taken on.  

I didn't realize they were still having troubles with the C31 and pause/ffd/rwd etc.  You'd think over a year after the release they would have those straightened out.  Maybe the C41s are better?  If so you'd at least be able to get a fix without losing all your recordings.

Good luck!

#23 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hopefully he'll post back even with the nasty tone this thread has taken on.  

I didn't realize they were still having troubles with the C31 and pause/ffd/rwd etc.  You'd think over a year after the release they would have those straightened out.  Maybe the C41s are better?  If so you'd at least be able to get a fix without losing all your recordings.

Good luck!

I've never really had an issue with any equipment other than the minor thing here or there with my old HR24,I think it was... I've been with D*TV for probably 10+ years... But yeah I would have thought they would have this fixed by now also and really only having problems with pausing myself... overall all the other functions work fine on the C31 but maybe with a slight delay compared to the HR34.  I'm not sure about the C41's and don't think they are compatible with the HR34.  Also nobody seems to know much about the slow issues with the C31's on here either... I don't seem to get much of a response from anyone about it anyways.  Would be nice to just know that there is a fix in the works or something.  I don't bother calling support since they will just tell me to reboot... I shouldn't have to reboot every couple days to have things work like they should.

Sounds like you have Dish Mike...?  I've never had Dish just because of personal reasons but my in-laws have Dish HD DVR... not sure what model but there box, speed wise seems to the same as my HR34 and old HR24 and in my own opinion maybe even a little slower but could be my in-laws remote that seems to stick sometimes also...?  :)  Are you thinking about switching to D*TV that you are wondering about the speed of the HR44 and have you had D*TV in the past that you say you always had issues with the speed of the DVR's?  Just wondering...

#24 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

I'm not sure about the C41's and don't think they are compatible with the HR34.  Also nobody seems to know much about the slow issues with the C31's on here either... I don't seem to get much of a response from anyone about it anyways. 

You can use C31's with the HR44, I have with mine. The only real difference between the C31 and C41's is that the C41's support the new RF remote standard that DIRECTV is using with the RC71 remotes. Speed wise they are the same, what makes the difference is if the server is a HR34 or HR44 with the HR44 being a bit faster.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#25 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

You can use C31's with the HR44, I have with mine. The only real difference between the C31 and C41's is that the C41's support the new RF remote standard that DIRECTV is using with the RC71 remotes. Speed wise they are the same, what makes the difference is if the server is a HR34 or HR44 with the HR44 being a bit faster.

Thanks - but you can't use the C41 with the HR34 correct or am I wrong?   So the HR44 would probably help with the speed of the C31's if I upgraded or wonder if I would still have the pause issues with the C31's, if anyone can confirm this?

#26 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

I've never really had an issue with any equipment other than the minor thing here or there with my old HR24,I think it was... I've been with D*TV for probably 10+ years... But yeah I would have thought they would have this fixed by now also and really only having problems with pausing myself... overall all the other functions work fine on the C31 but maybe with a slight delay compared to the HR34.  I'm not sure about the C41's and don't think they are compatible with the HR34.  Also nobody seems to know much about the slow issues with the C31's on here either... I don't seem to get much of a response from anyone about it anyways.  Would be nice to just know that there is a fix in the works or something.  I don't bother calling support since they will just tell me to reboot... I shouldn't have to reboot every couple days to have things work like they should.

Sounds like you have Dish Mike...?  I've never had Dish just because of personal reasons but my in-laws have Dish HD DVR... not sure what model but there box, speed wise seems to the same as my HR34 and old HR24 and in my own opinion maybe even a little slower but could be my in-laws remote that seems to stick sometimes also...?  :)  Are you thinking about switching to D*TV that you are wondering about the speed of the HR44 and have you had D*TV in the past that you say you always had issues with the speed of the DVR's?  Just wondering...

Most of my issues went away when I got rid of my HR22s.  I had Dish and switched to DirecTV and was shocked at how much slower the HR22s were than my Dish Network 622s.  Have you ever used the HR21/22/23s?  Half the time my HR22s wouldn't respond to the remote - like may others here that were posting at the time.  The HR24s are much better but still occasionally stop responding...  Nothing like it used to be.  As far as speed goes the HR24s are still slower than Dish.

Could be that your in-laws have a bad remote or setup.  Most people here that used both Dish and DirecTV know Dish receivers are quick - response to the remote is pretty near instant etc.  Scrolling through guide and lists leaves anything from DirecTV behind..  Except maybe the HR44.  

I'm just trying to decide if I want to spend the money and start a 2 year deal with the HR22...  I think Hotelone would be a good source to compare the speeds since he just got one and doesn't seem to be tainted!

#27 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Most of my issues went away when I got rid of my HR22s.  I had Dish and switched to DirecTV and was shocked at how much slower the HR22s were than my Dish Network 622s.  Have you ever used the HR21/22/23s?  Half the time my HR22s wouldn't respond to the remote - like may others here that were posting at the time.  The HR24s are much better but still occasionally stop responding...  Nothing like it used to be.  As far as speed goes the HR24s are still slower than Dish.

Could be that your in-laws have a bad remote or setup.  Most people here that used both Dish and DirecTV know Dish receivers are quick - response to the remote is pretty near instant etc.  Scrolling through guide and lists leaves anything from DirecTV behind..  Except maybe the HR44.  

I'm just trying to decide if I want to spend the money and start a 2 year deal with the HR22...  I think Hotelone would be a good source to compare the speeds since he just got one and doesn't seem to be tainted!

Ah - yes I had a HR22 not HR24 before my HR34.... yes I do remember the slow response times with it... after they upgraded to the HD guide it was much better.   My HR34 is nothing like the HR22 days thou... I would say that responds very well and near instant.   You mean start a 2 year deal with the HR44... ?   Yeah, overall I realize there are always going to bugs and such with anything just expect sometype of resolution eventually or communication.

#28 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Thanks - but you can't use the C41 with the HR34 correct or am I wrong?   So the HR44 would probably help with the speed of the C31's if I upgraded or wonder if I would still have the pause issues with the C31's, if anyone can confirm this?

Yes the C41's work with HR34's just fine. But if you're having a pause issue, I haven't seen that with either C31 or C41 on either the HR34 or HR44 so I can't say if replacing the HR34 would correct it, sorry.

#29 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Yes the C41's work with HR34's just fine. But if you're having a pause issue, I haven't seen that with either C31 or C41 on either the HR34 or HR44 so I can't say if replacing the HR34 would correct it, sorry.

Thanks!  So wierd that some people have issues with things and others don't...

#30 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,480 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thanks!  So wierd that some people have issues with things and others don't...

And almost equally amazing that it's frequently the same people who either do or do not have problems!

Also echo RAD's post that the C41s work fine with both 34s and 44s. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#31 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

It is amazing that the its the same people over and over that never have problems...  Even when the an update goes wrong and the mass of complaints skyrocket... There seems to be a certain group that just don't run into trouble - ever.  Quite amazing!

#32 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

It is amazing that the its the same people over and over that never have problems...  Even when the an update goes wrong and the mass of complaints skyrocket... There seems to be a certain group that just don't run into trouble - ever.  Quite amazing!

Never have said I never have problems, just not seeing the same problems that some folks say they have.

#33 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'm having the same issues also... did you have to pay for the upgrade to the HR44?  Maybe I'll have to do the same in order to get these problems fixed.  Also I was under the assumption that the C31 would not work with the HR44... so yours is working good?  What about after a few days?  Thanks!

I have the protection plan so there was no charge.  The C31 works with the HR44 just fine - I think the only difference is the C41 works with the new HR44 remote but I could be wrong.  Everything is working fine now, and "noticeably faster" than my old HR34...

And BTW, what happened to my thread since I last checked it?!! (you guys...) :bang   :rolling:

DirecTV subscriber since 1994

HR44-700 -> 60" Panasonic Plasma
HR24-100 -> 50" Panasonic Plasma
C31 -> 22" Junk Magnavox LCD

#34 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

I have the protection plan so there was no charge.  The C31 works with the HR44 just fine - I think the only difference is the C41 works with the new HR44 remote but I could be wrong.  Everything is working fine now, and "noticeably faster" than my old HR34...

And BTW, what happened to my thread since I last checked it?!! (you guys...) :bang   :rolling:

Glad to hear all is well and 'noticeably' faster.

Sorry about the thread going to hell!  

In your earlier post you were talking about the speed of the HR44 vs the HR34 right?

#35 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Glad to hear all is well and 'noticeably' faster.

Sorry about the thread going to hell!  

In your earlier post you were talking about the speed of the HR44 vs the HR34 right?

I see you're still inquiring about the speed of the HR44 vs the HR34 even though you stated "I don't care all that much about the speed of changing channels or boot up speed." in post #8. :sure:  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#36 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

I see you're still inquiring about the speed of the HR44 vs the HR34 even though you stated "I don't care all that much about the speed of changing channels or boot up speed." in post #8. :sure:  

I see you're still being so helpful.  Thank you.

You do realize that the speed of changing channels only matters if you're a channel surfer right?  Ya see, it only comes into play when you change the channel.  To give you a simple example that will hopefully shed some light on what you don't understand...  Channel change speed only is a factor when you are on say channel 451 and change to channel 2.  That speed isn't important to me personally because I rarely change the channel.

Does that help?

Sorry - forgot to explain what 'boot up speed' is...  That is how long it takes for your receiver to come to a usable state after you plug it in or restart it.  I also don't care to much about this speed because it only comes into play occasionally.  For example...  If you push the little red button your receiver will restart.  The power could also go out requiring your receiver to boot up again when the power comes on.

That has to help right?

Edited by Mike Greer, 13 July 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

Let me apologize again Hotelone...  we can't seem to stay on topic here.  Maybe Laxguy and MysteryMan could just a new thread where they could pick on poor ol' pathetic me and keep this thread about you scoring an HR44 and what the speed difference is between the HR34 and the HR44.

Depending on what an HR44 will cost me I may just do it so I can see what the speed differences are.  I value your opinion specifically on the HR44 vs HR34.  

I'll PM  you directly and would suggest that MysteryMan and Laxguy also use PMs to direct their love to me personally thus saving everyone else the pain of this thread.

Edited by Mike Greer, 13 July 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,480 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

Mike: You are the one who hijacked the thread to make it about your stuff. 

PMs- No, no, and no. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#39 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

I see you're still being so helpful.  Thank you.

You do realize that the speed of changing channels only matters if you're a channel surfer right?  Ya see, it only comes into play when you change the channel.  To give you a simple example that will hopefully shed some light on what you don't understand...  Channel change speed only is a factor when you are on say channel 451 and change to channel 2.  That speed isn't important to me personally because I rarely change the channel.

Does that help?

Sorry - forgot to explain what 'boot up speed' is...  That is how long it takes for your receiver to come to a usable state after you plug it in or restart it.  I also don't care to much about this speed because it only comes into play occasionally.  For example...  If you push the little red button your receiver will restart.  The power could also go out requiring your receiver to boot up again when the power comes on.

That has to help right?

Watch my fingers. I'm going to type slow. In post #2 you asked what the speed difference is between the HR44 and the HR34. In post #3 NR4P stated "the speed deltas were published in "The HR44-500 Second Look". In post #7 I provided the speed comparison figures (Guide, Playlist, Channel Change, and Reboot)  found in "The HR44-500 Second Look". Given that, your question was asked and answered. Yet for some reason you behave like a small child by repeatedly asking the same question. Maybe it's because math isn't your forte. Perhaps reading with comprehension isn't one of your strong points. :shrug:       

#40 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

Mike: You are the one who hijacked the thread to make it about your stuff. 

PMs- No, no, and no. 

I agree.

spam firewall