Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possible Genie Upgrade Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

I recently had my system upgraded to support whole home with SWM and the Cinema Connection Kit. This was gratis from Directv in response to a request to upgrade to Genie for free. The CSR said he couldn’t do that but he could do this to get my system ready for it and get me MRV. But since the installation, we’ve had problems with our two old HR20s spontaneously restarting at least a couple times a day and one of them intermittently getting disconnected from the network. The tech who did the installation warned me this intermittent disconnection might be a problem as the HDDVRs are so old.

So I was thinking about calling up Directv and seeing if they would reconsider and upgrade my two ancient DVRs with a Genie and a client (installer said they should have, at the very least, upgraded my two ancient HR20s with newer DVRs). I also have an HR24 that I’m quite happy with I would like to keep to have a backup DVR in case something happens to the Genie. Who knows if they’ll bite, but in case they do I was hoping I could switch out the receivers myself rather than have to schedule an installation. But I’m wondering if I would need to change anything about the way things are set up now. Right now I’ve got three locations:

1) Family Room (where the HR24 is now, where the Genie would go): there is 1 coax coming to a SWM splitter, with 1 coax out to the DVR and 1 to the DECA with the ethernet cable connected to my router going into that and another cable out to an adapter plugged into the wall. My question here is would I have to do anything other than take the 1 coax currently going into the 24 and plug it into the Genie?

2) Living Room (where an HR20 is now and where I would place the Genie client): there is 1 coax coming to a SWM splitter with 1 coax out to the DECA with a coax out to the DVR and an ethernet cable out to the DVR as well. The other coax out from the splitter runs to a small orange thing that says “Broad Stop Filter” which connects to a coax into the DVR. My question here is would I have to do anything different here for the Genie client? Does it even have/need an ethernet cable connection?

3) Basement (where an HR20 is now and where I would place my HR24): connection looks the same as the Living Room. I assume that since I’m exchanging a normal DVR for another DVR, that I would just need to unplug the 2 coax cables and ethernet from the 20 and plug them back into the 24, right? The installer mentioned something about running the power from/to this location. I didn’t really understand what this was all about. Does it make a difference?

Sorry about the long post which may be irrelevant if Directv turns me down flat, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed they don’t! Your input is much appreciated.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

Oh you have HR20-100s which are a pain in the neck for deca. Sounds like they are hooked up right though.

If they send you the stuff, the hook up is easy. Genie hooks up just like your HR24 is hooked up now.

However, the other two locations would be different than what they are now. You'd disconnect the coax from the wall from that splitter, and connect it strait into the genie client, and strait into the HR24. No need for the splitter with the deca and the line with the bsf. Manly one coax without anything else on the line goes into the HR24 and the client.

I don't think they will ship it but you can try. Either way I'd complain that you did an upgrade and its not working right and you want the genie. Just be nice about it and Let them know you are frustrated. There could be something else going on as well, so a service call isn't necessarily a bad thing anyway. Just because the unit are old doesn't mean they shouldn't be working right. The constant reboot is a concerns, and if both are doing it, there could be something else going on too.

#3 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful. And I hear what you're saying about the value of another tech visit especially in the light of the spontaneous reboots. That's a problem we used to have with an HR20 in the living room. But we haven't had a problem with it since we got a 20 and immediately plugged it into a UPS battery backup. It appears that it was connected with interruptions of the power at that location. Why it would return and be a problem with both locations, I have no idea.

Oh you have HR20-100s which are a pain in the neck for deca. Sounds like they are hooked up right though.

If they send you the stuff, the hook up is easy. Genie hooks up just like your HR24 is hooked up now.

However, the other two locations would be different than what they are now. You'd disconnect the coax from the wall from that splitter, and connect it strait into the genie client, and strait into the HR24. No need for the splitter with the deca and the line with the bsf. Manly one coax without anything else on the line goes into the HR24 and the client.

I don't think they will ship it but you can try. Either way I'd complain that you did an upgrade and its not working right and you want the genie. Just be nice about it and Let them know you are frustrated. There could be something else going on as well, so a service call isn't necessarily a bad thing anyway. Just because the unit are old doesn't mean they shouldn't be working right. The constant reboot is a concerns, and if both are doing it, there could be something else going on too.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#4 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

Called and got lucky today with the Genie upgrade. The first level CSR couldn't find anything for me so I asked to be transferred to retention. She very promptly offered the upgrade for free. But, thinking of Inkahauts' suggestion, I didn't ask to install it myself. It comes Tuesday!

AU9, SWM8
Whole Home.

#5 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Excellent! Glad it worked out for you, I think you will be pleased with the upgrade.
T

#6 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Can't wait for Tuesday!

Excellent! Glad it worked out for you, I think you will be pleased with the upgrade.

AU9, SWM8
Whole Home.

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Great news!  Hopefully you will let us know how it goes!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...