Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Channel Master and Echostar working on new OTA DVR

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,528 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:02 AM

Channel Master and Echostar working on new OTA DVR

Sometimes you just want to enjoy TV without making a commitment, and time-shifting broadcasts either means building your own HTPC or purchasing an OTA DVR -- like the now defunct Boxee. 

Back in 2011, Channel Master teamed up with Entone to fill that niche and a recent FCC filing shows the company (once again) partnering with Echostar to bring a new OTA DVR to the market. The set-top box -- called Channel Master K77 (not pictured) -- also provides over-the-top functionality and comes in two flavors: CM-7500GB16, which features 16GB of built-in flash (and relies on external USB storage for DVR support) and CM-7500GB320, which incorporates a 320GB hard drive. 

While it's unclear when the device will launch, it will be competing with a number of similar offerings from Simple.TV, Tivo (Series 5) and Aereo once it lands on store shelves.

channelmastertv01.jpg
Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Add a clear QAM tuner for basic cable subscribers and make it function like an old VCR so you don't have to pay a fee to use it and they might have something useful for us cheapskates who simply want to view TV when we want to.

#3 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,729 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

It sounds very much like the Dish DTVPAL DVR they had produced earlier. I have one of those - it works pretty well, except that now the only guide info you get is the PSIP that all stations are required - usually about 12 hours to about 72 hours, depending on the station. It was really great until ROVI turned off the TVGOS and you could get up to a week of good guide info.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#4 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

It could be a good product. I wonder how many tuners it would have, could it support external antenna, could it stream to other devices?

my setup here

#5 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

It needs at least 2 tuners, And the ability to copy to your PC, else - get a TiVo. 

Why settle for less when the best is possible cheaper.

Without an antenna it is a brick, not a tuner!

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

It was my impression the 'old' Channel Master OTA DVR just needed a software update or two to be halfway decent.  Did that ever happen, or am I mixing it up with something else ??

(HTGO)

:coffee

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

It was my impression the 'old' Channel Master OTA DVR just needed a software update or two to be halfway decent.  Did that ever happen, or am I mixing it up with something else ??

(HTGO)

:coffee

there was two of them - which one you mentioned ?

7000DVR and 7400

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

With ChuckieCo involved, it'll probably have a fee to nickle and dime you every month.

Without that, it could be OK.  The previous CM DVR was far too expensive.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#9 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

It needs at least 2 tuners, And the ability to copy to your PC, else - get a TiVo. 

Why settle for less when the best is possible cheaper.

Without an antenna it is a brick, not a tuner!

Because Tivo has halted production of models with OTA tuners.  And because Tivo charges an outrageous monthly fee for their guide info.  My guess is that any "savings" you'd get by getting a Tivo would quickly be eaten up in guide fees.

#10 OFFLINE   Islandguy43

Islandguy43

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

I was a beta tester for the Original  Dish DTVPAL DVR and thought it was a pretty good ota machine.  My only complaint was i couldn't hook iit up to basic cable and have it work.  

I agree if they do put a QAM Turner in it; there could be quite a market from us cheapstakes, who want to move to IPTV.

Just give me the Sabres and Yankees in HD.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

I could give a little secret as you was a beta tester, the model [TR-50] has tuner's chips what are supporting 8VSB and QAM modulation; it was a matter of FW development to employ the capabilty

bur echostar went more profitable way - get 8VSB only signals and added PayTV features (smart card, ordering PPV, subsribe, etc)

#12 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

I agree that it should have ClearQAM functionality and I hope it doesn't come with a monthly fee like TiVO.

Channel Master already sells a ATSC/NTSC/ClearQAM tuner for $123 (that seems very expensive to me, but it is one of the few (if not only) ClearQAM tuners available), but it doesn't have the DVR functionality.  I hope they would also include ClearQAM in this box too.  

I work for a University and we are migrating to digital ClearQAM over the summer in our residence halls.  It would be great to point students to a DVR that supports ClearQAM with no monthly fee.  I just hope the price is reasonable.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#13 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

I wish the broadcasters would create a DVR themselves. I think a lot of new functionality could be created.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,038 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

I wish the broadcasters would create a DVR themselves. I think a lot of new functionality could be created.

You meant the channels themselves?  They wouldn't allow them to do anything like skipping or ffwd.  But theyd have every pop up in the world during commercials to buy anything that was in the commercial...

#15 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

I'm thinking something more like the UK's "Red Button" service....

If I'm watching a newscast, I could push a "Red Button" during a story, and the DVR would download background/sidebar information, in any format (graphics, text, audio, etc) to be viewed a bit later. Talking-head programs, like newscasts, would be ideal times to send the additional non-broadcast format data, since the newscasts generally have low bandwidth requirements.

A car commercial could use the "Red Button" to send you a more detailed look at the vehicle and it's options...or even let you get time to read all those "legal details" that are usually in such fine print.

A story about weather in a certain area of the world could include a "Red Button" invitation, which would let you view a more in-depth forecast, or even allow the DVR to accept updates throughout the storm.

All this info could be trickled in to your DVR during low-bandwidth portions of the programming, since it would not be "live".

And, the stations could add small ads to the downloads, just like they do on their websites, so they could justify their efforts.

#16 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'm thinking something more like the UK's "Red Button" service....

To the viewer/tax-supported BBC, you are the customer. To US commercial TV networks, you are the product - advertisers are the customer.

So, the BBC gives you the red button, and the US commercial networks try to figure out how to make you stop skipping their ads.

Edited by Orion9, 12 August 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Follow this company....Simple.tv

Started as a Kickstarter campaign.  About four months, they secured 6M from New World Ventures (VC run by a Pritzker).

Promising hardware for an OTA DVR solution.

https://www.simple.tv/overview

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#18 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

I could give a little secret as you was a beta tester, the model [TR-50] has tuner's chips what are supporting 8VSB and QAM modulation; it was a matter of FW development to employ the capabilty

bur echostar went more profitable way - get 8VSB only signals and added PayTV features (smart card, ordering PPV, subsribe, etc)

The TR-50 tuner would not have qualified for the $50 government card had it included QAM capability.

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

TR-50 (its a DVR, remember ?) never been qualified for $40 coupon; perhaps you think about TR-40.

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Follow this company....Simple.tv

Started as a Kickstarter campaign.  About four months, they secured 6M from New World Ventures (VC run by a Pritzker).

Promising hardware for an OTA DVR solution.

https://www.simple.tv/overview

Nay.

• No HDMI to TV.
  • Another money maker on TV guide [EPG].

spam firewall