Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Suggestions for someone that has 2 residences.............

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   minsco92

minsco92

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

I am currently commuting from Tennessee to Alabama for my occupation.  I have an account already in Tennessee and I have just acquired an apartment in Alabama.  What would be the best way of getting service in Alabama?  I figure Directv will want me to add a second account, but I am inclined to put up my own dish and add another receiver.  Any suggestions on what some of you would do?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Two accounts makes everything easier, but obviously more expensive.

Will anyone be in TN using that DirecTV while you're in AL? If so, then by using DirecTV at both locations at the same time would be a violation of your TOS and is certainly not recommended.

How far between the two locations? I ask because your locals in TN might not be available in AL if you're just carrying a receiver back and forth.

A number of 'snowbirds' shift their account service address between their two residences, but you're probably going back and forth too often for that to work.

You might also want to look at a GenieGo. If you have WiFi at your AL location, you can watch whatever is on your DVR(s) back in TN (and if you want to watch something live, you just set it to record in TN and then you can watch it in AL). Carrying an iPad or laptop back and forth is much easier. Also Slingbox-type devices would accomplish the same thing.

Edited by trh, 13 July 2013 - 09:57 AM.

spam firewall