Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone call DirecTV and reduce their bill? Share stats here!

negotiate price

• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oliversmall

oliversmall

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hi.  I'm curious about stories/stats about people's success (or not) of negotiating their DirecTV bill.  If you haven't tried to do so already, I recommend you do (see my stats below - wondering if I got better than what others are seeing.)

If you call now, or if you called before, please share your stats so others in this forum can see what works.

• Called June 2013
  • Been subscriber for about 2 years
  • Suggested I wanted to cancel because I was considering downgrading due to budget reasons and using online/netflix/etc.  
  • Got $30 off/month.  $10 off was specifically for the movie channels.
  • Took about 10 minutes

What have other people done?  Any tips/tricks to share?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Customer for 13 years. Called a few weeks ago to cancel Showtime. Asked why and said I needed to save money. The rep gave me $15 a month off my bill for 15 months. Total call around 5 minutes.
Go Big Red!!!

#3 OFFLINE   gdn

gdn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Customer over 12 years - called a few weeks back to upgrade equipment - offered $20 off a month for 12 months as well for being a good customer.   I pushed for the full 24 months as the bill has climbed almost $30 in the last 3 years and I've added no services or equipment.     Rep said just call back in 12 months and they would probably do the same thing for me. 

HR21-100 and HR22-100, Sony SXRD KDS60A2000, Samsung LN40A650, Logitec 880 and almost retired Pronto TSU1000 remote - used still for the CD changer.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Its an entertainment luxury item, if you can't afford to pay for it or dont want to, move on to another provider, or drop to lower programming package/less equipment.  In my opinion, the packages prices and discounts should be fixed so everyone pays the same and there is no more of these BS threads.

• duffytoo, marabunta, nap81992 and 4 others like this

#5 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Its an entertainment luxury item, if you can't afford to pay for it or dont want to, move on to another provider, or drop to lower programming package/less equipment.  In my opinion, the packages prices and discounts should be fixed so everyone pays the same and there is no more of these BS threads.

+1

Antennas work for free and get a great picture.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#6 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

+1

Antennas work for free and get a great picture.

Yes, but no ESPN, CNN, BBCA, Cartoon Network, and many others.

I don't mind switching carriers every two years if it saves me money, although I did stay with DirecTV for 4 1/2 years. Although I saved money by switching the chief reason was the ridiculously slow response on my  HR20 when trying to change channels.

Verizon has offered a couple additional discounts during my two-year term with FiOS without much prodding on my part. We'll see what happens when my contract is up in early October.

Edited by billsharpe, 13 July 2013 - 05:34 PM.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#7 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Everything is negotiable. 

If DTV can go to a programmer and negotiate for a better rate than given to another distributor, why can't a DTV subscriber do the same?

• damondlt, luckydob, jtudor and 1 other like this
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#8 OFFLINE   gdn

gdn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

I agree - wish everything when it comes to selling a service like this were priced equal, but it's not.   I didn't threaten to leave and I didn't initially ask for a discount - it was offered for being a long time customer - I then asked if he'd extend it to 24 months.

If you agree that everything in life should be exactly equal and you don't want to negotiate, Cuba and a few other countries around the world offer that kind of life.    It happens in most everything you do - buying a house, car, even electronics or groceries - show someone it sells for less somewhere else or just negotiate a bit and - well, it's dollars in your pocket, so everyone's choice what you do or don't ask for.

• luckydob likes this
HR21-100 and HR22-100, Sony SXRD KDS60A2000, Samsung LN40A650, Logitec 880 and almost retired Pronto TSU1000 remote - used still for the CD changer.

#9 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

14 year customer.  Called as I was considering transitioning to ATT.  Got all new equipment (Genie and minis) no charge and installed no charge.  They were also able to credit me for a few of the packages I have.  Reduced my bill by about $45 a month.  Good for 15 months...no idea where they figured that from.  Will call in 12 months to extend the discounts.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

+10000

At the end of the day those who do not call, because we dont feel entitled, we wind up paying for the discounts of others.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   oliversmall

oliversmall

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Great stats.  Thanks all for sharing.  Seems like people are getting between $15/month and $45/month just for essentially calling and asking.  Anyone getting much pushback from the reps?

Edited by oliversmall, 13 July 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

I could be wrong, but I really don't think those of us who call in asking (or sometimes just receiving when we called in about something else - that happens a fair bit) for discounts or deals on new equipment or programming such as NFLST are really a significant factor in what determines the price Directv sets for its programming packages or equipment. With programming packages, the price is almost certainly determined mainly by deals arrived at between Directv and the content providers. As far as equipment, I have no idea what determines the pricing beyond the costs of R and D and manufacturing. But, again, I'm highly skeptical that those of us who called up and got Genie for free (mine arrives Tuesday!) are a significant factor in the price. We could all stop calling tomorrow and I suspect the prices for everything would remain the same and rise much as they have in the past.

As such, I'm just not convinced that those who aren't calling and asking for discounts are paying for the discounts of those of us who do call. But, perhaps, I'm wrong. I would be interested in seeing any evidence to the contrary.

+10000

At the end of the day those who do not call, because we dont feel entitled, we wind up paying for the discounts of others.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#13 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

It's ridiculous to throw stones at those that negotiate a better deal for themselves! We in fact are one of the few countries that think we should pay whatever a seller ask for a service or product. It's a way of life in Asia, Latin Ammerica and even Europe to negotiate a price and not blindly walk in there and plop down your money. I think there's even an article in Consumers Report advocating negotiating and the ins and outs of doing so. People that don't want to negotiate are what make companies like Carmax so successful!
  • scoop8 likes this

#14 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

I will call asking if there is any wiggle room or deals on Premium Channels or Sports Packages. I don't have any issues with that because whether I get the programming or not is not that important to me especialy at the higher prices.

I won't call and ask for discounts on my package or equipment. If I can't afford it I'll cancel or downgrade. It's just television. I understand those who do, I don't like Directv giving in on prices that should be fixed.

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live
Phillies - Flyers - Rays - Noles

#15 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

Makes you wonder just how much they make off you a month if they can drop 20 a month off the bill instantly! Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by omartinjordan, 14 July 2013 - 06:22 AM.

• 1980ws likes this

#16 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Why is getting a better rate a sense of entitlement? I guess when you guys buy a car you pay sticker price and take the first price the dealer offers you for trade? If not then you are just feeling entitled to what you think your car is worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using DBSTalk mobile app

• satcrazy likes this

#17 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

I was with Directv for 7 years when I had to cancel due to financial restraints 2 years ago. They offered no discount and made sure to remind me to pay the balance of my last bill (which I did).

I did, however, score big when I finally returned to Directv in April. CHoice Extra package, Genie HR-44 with 2 clients, NFLST (Which I really don't care about), all for $46.00 a month for a year (which I will try to extend after 12 months).

#18 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

+10000

Can I have your account number so I can let them know who to charge when I call in? lol 

#19 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

I called a few weeks ago to eliminate NFL Sunday Ticket, because I did see it as a "luxury". I signed up for DirectV last fall, because I wanted to cancel DISH. A free season of NFLST was a plus, but certainly not a requirement. I was surprised to see NFLST on my bill to begin with; it must have been somehwrre in the "fine print" it was an automatic renewal. Originally, DTV wanted to charge $37.99 fro six months. In the end, I reduced it to $9.99/month for six moths (offset from a reduced $29.99 month and $20 off for premium movie channels). While not great savings here, I did get at least some savings. But, I certainly did not feel "entitled" to do so; I was trying to undo an unexpected charge on my bill.

+10000

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

I was surprised to see NFLST on my bill to begin with; it must have been somewhere in the "fine print" it was an automatic renewal.

I believe all the out-of-market sports packages have 'auto-renewal'. But several months before the season starts, you'll receive a line-item on your bill for $0.00 for the package.  Just as long as you cancel before the start of the season, you're OK.

spam firewall