Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone call DirecTV and reduce their bill? Share stats here!

negotiate price

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

This weekend I called looking for a deal on NHL CI.  Got sidetracked due to a dispute about whether activating an owned receiver which I did in November 2011 should add a 2 year committment.  After getting shuffled between a few different CSRs and supervisors, finally got to a retention person and I communicated politely my growing annoyance at having been on the phone 40 minutes already trying to sort this out.  I have been a D* customer since the Primestar buyout in 1999.

She offered $20/month off for a year, $10/month additional off for 2 months, free Premier for two months, and free NFL ST in exchange for me agreeing to be back under contract through November of 2014.  Despite all this free stuff, they wouldn't give an inch on the NHL CI price although I could now buy it easily with all of those discounts.  The lady said I was probably right about me not really being under contract but that it would be really complicated to fix.  I accepted her bribe to drop the matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,227 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

It's very hard to get that fixed. As I understand it, the fix is typically a note on your account that you are not under commitment. In the future, be sure to contact the Access Card Team when activating an owned receiver. Most CSRs do not know how to properly do that and as such when they activate the receiver it automatically adds a commitment to the account.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#183 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

This weekend I called looking for a deal on NHL CI. Got sidetracked due to a dispute about whether activating an owned receiver which I did in November 2011 should add a 2 year committment. After getting shuffled between a few different CSRs and supervisors, finally got to a retention person and I communicated politely my growing annoyance at having been on the phone 40 minutes already trying to sort this out. I have been a D* customer since the Primestar buyout in 1999.
She offered $20/month off for a year, $10/month additional off for 2 months, free Premier for two months, and free NFL ST in exchange for me agreeing to be back under contract through November of 2014. Despite all this free stuff, they wouldn't give an inch on the NHL CI price although I could now buy it easily with all of those discounts. The lady said I was probably right about me not really being under contract but that it would be really complicated to fix. I accepted her bribe to drop the matter.

Was that free Premier offer an offer for a free upgrade to Premier? If so, what is your current package?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#184 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Was that free Premier offer an offer for a free upgrade to Premier? If so, what is your current package?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

I was on Choice when I made the call.

#185 OFFLINE   sammy8887

sammy8887

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

I recently cancelled and within a few days I got an email every couple of days wanting me to come back and offering similar to a new customer discount (34.99 Xtra package for 12 mths., free HD DVR, free 3 mths. of premium movie channels, free NFL Sunday Ticket). It makes no sense that you have to completely cancel for this to be offered, but that was my case.

#186 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

I'm really struggling on 1 income now since the Wife is out of work due to an injury from July to November.  So I was going to either move my current Internet / Phone with the Cable company into one of their triple plays to save money, or get rid of TV all together and just use Internet.

Well I was able to get some discounts, about $43 a month combination of $20 off choice xtra for 12 months, $10 off hbo/showtime for 6 months, $10 off dvr and $3 off whole home for 3 months.  That also reduces the tax amount so it does help until my wife goes back to work.  Now when I add the DirecTV bill to the Cable bill for Internet & Phone, it is pretty close to what I would be paying the Cable company for triple play.

This was a legitimate personal issue to try to reduce programming or potentially get a new customer deal with another provider due to financial issues.  Otherwise had my wife been working, I wouldn't of called unless I wanted to upgrade to Genie.  I am not under contract.  I still would like to upgrade to Genie, but I'm willing to wait a few more months to have a better chance of getting an HR44 vs an HR34.  Because of my situation I can't afford to pay $200 - $300 from solidsignal or another source for an HR44 guarantee.

Edited by cypherx, 12 September 2013 - 02:00 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#187 OFFLINE   terron

terron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

I just called to lower my bill.  I currently pay $163/mo for Ultimate, Starz, Protection Plan, WH, DVR, HD and 6 receivers (In addition to my primary).

I was offered:

• $20/mo for 12 months as a credit for my Ultimate in return for another 1yr agreement to stay with DTV
  • $10/mo for 6 months as a credit for DVR service
  • $3/mo for 3 months as a credit for WH
  • $30/one time credit since this billing cycle already went through

I didn't really put up much of a fight, just asked for some discounts since my bill was so high.  I am pleased with the results.  I'm sure if I would have put up a show I probably could have done better but I will want some upgrades in a couple months so I want to leave my options open.

#188 OFFLINE   phodg

phodg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Currently paying about $153 a month for Ultimate and 3 DVRs. Called yesterday, operator offered me $20 off a month and Sunday Ticket for about $200 or so. Asked to be put through to retention, where I was offered $20 a month off (for 12 months) plus Sunday Ticket and Redzone for free. Had I haggled I could probably have got another $10-15 a month off, but I didn't want to get greedy.

I'd forgotten just how much I'd missed Sunday Ticket.  :)

#189 OFFLINE   Pakratt

Pakratt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

DTV ended my $10 HD credit this month so I decided to try to see if I could get it reinstated and/or reduce my overall bill. I have the grandfathered Total Choice and have been with DTV for 12 years. I asked for "Promotions" at the prompt. CSR said nothing could be done as there are no credits available on this package. Asked to be transferred to Retention. CSR reiterated the same so then we began to discuss options. All she could offer was $15 off for 12 months and another $10 off for 12 months if I would change to Total Choice Extra at $6 more per month. Have one more year on my contract so went ahead with the offer. When I checked my account on-line, the credits were processed but a new charge to me (Whole Home Dvr service $3) was added. I have had the HR-34 along with a HR23-500 for one year and have never been charged this fee. Whole Home Service was never hooked up and activated as I did not want it. Did not pay for the HR34 but was charged $99 for the CCK which the installer took with him. Called DTV again. First CSR did not know what this was about and transferred me to the Tech Dept. They said that the current packages are programmed so that if you have a Genie you are going to pay the fee regardless if you use it or not. No way they could deduct it out. Best she could do is give me a $5 credit for 3 months. Posting my experience for everyone's info. Like DTV but I also have Fios available. Will compare everything in a year.

#190 OFFLINE   samisamsung

samisamsung

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Its an entertainment luxury item, if you can't afford to pay for it or dont want to, move on to another provider, or drop to lower programming package/less equipment. In my opinion, the packages prices and discounts should be fixed so everyone pays the same and there is no more of these BS threads.

AGREED ! PAY OR BE QUIET!

Sent FROM DOWN UNDER

#191 OFFLINE   hockeykid

hockeykid

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

Longtime DTV customer (since 1995). Called a couple of days ago to cancel my account. Retention CSR said could only give me $10 off HD for a year, $6.50 off my Starz for 6 months, $3 off my whole home DVR for 3 months, and Free Showtime for 4 months.

The month before I spoke with a CSR who offered me $25 off for a year and $5 off for 3 months, but didn't leave any notes on my account about the offer.

So the reason for the difference in offers is because each month there is a different offer to customers who wish to cancel their service. When more customers are cancelling (like in the summer) the sweeter the deal to keep you. So you're better off talking to a CSR during the summer months. I ended up setting a cancellation date as Dish has a great bundle deal and DTV wasn't interested in making it financially worth sticking around.

#192 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

My contract is up at the end of November. Called today to see what could be done about the $147 monthly which includes the Ultimate package, sports pack, HD extra pack, and 6 receivers. Was hoping for a deal on NHLCI, but no dice on that. Otherwise, I'm pleased.

I was offered and accepted $20 off the base package for 12 months, $10 off the DVR fee for 12 months, and $10 off the sports pack for 6 months. This required a re-up for a 12 month contract. It will bring my monthly to $104 for 6 months and $114 after that.

I was also offered and accepted Starz for 6 months at no charge. Also offered and accepted Showtime for 4 months at no charge. Both were to have automatically dropped after the promo period.

When I was transferred at the end of the call to the "third party verification service," the deal on Showtime had changed to being $5 off for 6 months. I was transferred to two different departments who all agreed that the notes clearly showed that I was offered the free 4 month period, but apparently the deal was removed and/or changed when the retention tech put in all of my other offers. It was explained to me that because I took other offers, the Showtime deal may have been automatically nullified. It may also have had something to do with the order in which the original retention tech had put the credits in.

They offered a $50 credit to offset the $7.99 per month Showtime would have cost, but I declined. I don't watch Showtime so it wasn't worth it to me to have a really small first month bill only to pay it back $8 at a time for 6 months. Given everything else that they were giving me, I didn't fight the issue too hard and just agreed to drop Showtime altogether.

Also offered and accepted Sunday Ticket at no charge. I will of course have to call and cancel after the season to keep it from auto-renewing.

I was also offered and accepted a free Genie upgrade and one client. I will be replacing 2 SD boxes, so the monthly fees will stay the same for me since I already pay the Advanced DVR and Whole-Home fees. I will keep the one HD DVR I had and three HD boxes. Installation is also free.

The hardware upgrade required an additional 2 year contract. Even though the programming credits expire after 12 months, I will call back then to see what kind of offers may be available then. I was also told the new contract starts when the new receivers are activated, which will be tomorrow between 8 and 12. Basically the last 2 months of my existing contract would be nullified in favor of the new one.

The one thing I found interesting is that directv wants the SD boxes back. They will be sending a pre-paid box. That's fine with me. Less e-waste I have to accrue in my collection.

All in all it was a good call, and I'm pleased. It did take an hour and twenty minutes to complete the call, though.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#193 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,074 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

My bill comes due on the 3rd of the month.

I called on the 5th of September ( same day my email bill came to me ) to see if they could help me with it. They did. I was told that my next 6 months bills would be $116.99 plus tax. I changed from a grandfathered package , HBO, Showtime, Starz and Encore to the Premier Package.

When I got my new bill today it was much higher. The first CSR tried to explain that it was because of the partial month for what I had been getting. 2 days worth of partial and then a partial for the new stuff. Got nowhere with her.

Thanked her, hung up and called back. Explained all to this CSR. I asked her if she saw that the lady that changed it in September told me that my bill would be $116.99 plus tax. She said yes. I told her that I expect this bill to be adjusted to that figure. She did fix it.

While I was looking at this very confusing bill I also noticed that one of the discounts they gave me was for only 3 months, but one was for 12 months. So much for the bill being the same for 3 months. She told me to call back when the 3 months was up and they would add it back to my discounts. Weird.

Bottom line, if you feel like you are not being helped, thank them and hang up and call back and you will get a different CSR.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#194 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

I have had the HR-34 along with a HR23-500 for one year and have never been charged this fee. Whole Home Service was never hooked up and activated as I did not want it. Did not pay for the HR34 but was charged $99 for the CCK which the installer took with him. Called DTV again. First CSR did not know what this was about and transferred me to the Tech Dept. They said that the current packages are programmed so that if you have a Genie you are going to pay the fee regardless if you use it or not. No way they could deduct it out. Best she could do is give me a $5 credit for 3 months.

Yup. Exact reason I refused my "free" Genie upgrade.

#195 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

I just called Directv to cancel my service.Got a very nice Retention rep told him i wanted to set up a cancellation date for my service.He asked why i was canceling my service,I told him my bill had gotten to high and that Dish and my local cable company had really good deals going on.I have Choice extra classic and 2 Dvr's he told me i could get $30 off a month for 12 months if i agree to commit to a 1 year agreement with Directv.I asked if i could get that without the 1 year agreement he told me no not at this time.I told him i would have to think about it,then he added a 1 time $50 credit off my next bill plus the $30 off for a year.I told him ok to sign me up for another year.He told me to call back in a year and they would be glad to see what they could do after my year is up.The call took only 15 minutes and i am pleased with what they offered me.

#196 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Make sure you keep track of your discounts expiration dates in Outlook or on your phone so you can get a reminder when they come due. Normally you'll only notice it when your bill jumps a bunch. Another one of DirecTVs sleazy tactics "sorry, can't fix it for this month, the bill has already gone out".

#197 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Make sure you keep track of your discounts expiration dates in Outlook or on your phone so you can get a reminder when they come due. Normally you'll only notice it when your bill jumps a bunch. Another one of DirecTVs sleazy tactics "sorry, can't fix it for this month, the bill has already gone out".

Are you serious?  if the credits expires after a year, as promised by DirecTV and you forget to call in for yet another credit, this is a "sleazy tactic" on DirecTV's part?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#198 OFFLINE   Ruffread

Ruffread

Godfather

• Registered
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVista, CA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

I called Directv to see whether I was under contract, because I was considering switching to Uverse.  Customer retention made a counter offer with a bundle, and I accepted.

Here is what I got: Replace my HR20-700 with a new HR44 Genie DVR, increase my DSL speed from 5 to 12 mbs, connect VOIP unlimited, and install everything for no cost. I also received a $50.00 credit on my next billing, 4 months Showtime for free, 6 months Starz for free, 6 months Advanced receiver HD free for 6 months.  All this for $123.93.  I was paying $164.00.  I was also told I could renew some of the credits after one year.  Total savings for the first year is over $450.00. I was told that I could get this because I have been a good customer since 1996.  Everything gets installed on Monday, 28th Oct.  I am psyched!

#199 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

So do you guys think I'll really get this?

I only have a Classic Choice Xtra, Plus HD & DVR services.  

I called because the 24 months of $10 off for HD with auto billing ended.  Bill just felt high to me at approx $110.00. We were considering cable because we have high speed net with them.  

They offered $20 off a month for 12 months, *PLUS* putting in the mail in a couple weeks, a $200 Visa Pre-paid gift card.  $440 in our pocket for 1 year. No complaint from me.  Do you think we will really get that gift card though?  I was surprised she offered that!  It was a super friendly CSR.  I could tell when she answered, she wanted to be at work, and she was very happy to talk about our bill/package.  Honestly, it took less than 5 minutes total call time.  I would have liked to renewed the $10 off for auto charging, but she was so kind to offer all that immediately, I couldn't ask for more.  ha.  Of course, she offered equipment upgrades too, but I don't like having techs come out. I was truly out of contract right now, and customer since 2000 so maybe it helped in getting a good deal.

Edited by mika911, 29 October 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#200 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

I am amazed and surprised.  I have Premier which I've had for years, along with three TVs and two DVRs with WHole Home.  I was able to receive $10 off for 2 years, $10 off HD access for three months, $5 each for HBO, SHO, CMAX and Sports Pack for 6 months, and another $3 for Whole Home.  This knocks a $175/month bill to $131.  That's a surprise!  And with the various promotions expiring when they do, it won't be a huge leap all at once.  Plus, the rep suggested I call back when the 3 month ones expire.  Hmmmm.....

I guess it really does depend on when you call and to whom  you speak with...

Edited by gphvid, 01 November 2013 - 04:11 PM.

spam firewall