Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone call DirecTV and reduce their bill? Share stats here!

negotiate price

• Please log in to reply
552 replies to this topic

#376 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

What kind of discount should I expect, if any.  

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#377 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,604 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

The times that I have called, I told them I would like a little bit of help with my bill. And ask them if they have any specials or discounts that I could get.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#378 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

there  are too many variables.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#379 OFFLINE   Evidence86

Evidence86

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

I called last week to see what offers i could get given my contract had 4 days left, I have the choice xtra pack (no premium channels) with 1 HR24, 1 H25

The 1st rep offered me only $20 off for 12 months and i declined, and asked to cancel my account after those 4 days were up (was going to switch to Dish)

3 days later I receive an email saying they are sad to see me go and to call back in to have a chance of getting my business back.

The offer they gave me was 12 month contract for $35 off monthly bill, $200 Visa gift card, $30 one time bill credit, and NFL sunday ticket 2014 season.

My bill went from $115 to $78

#380 OFFLINE   bmetelsky

bmetelsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

The offer they gave me was 12 month contract for $35 off monthly bill, $200 Visa gift card, $30 one time bill credit, and NFL sunday ticket 2014 season.

That is an awesome deal!

#381 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:06 AM

It seems like they are more willing to offer steep discounts to Premier subs.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 3

Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
C41-400
XBoxOne
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200

#382 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 641 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

It seems like they are more willing to offer steep discounts to Premier subs.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 3

That makes sense. It's like buying a car. They have more of a margin on the more expensive cars so they can offer a bigger discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#383 OFFLINE   btedford

btedford

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

I am a Premier sub and every time I call and even talk about or mention wanting to drop down my package, they always offer me discounts and I've always taken them.

#384 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

I called last week to see what offers i could get given my contract had 4 days left, I have the choice xtra pack (no premium channels) with 1 HR24, 1 H25

The 1st rep offered me only $20 off for 12 months and i declined, and asked to cancel my account after those 4 days were up (was going to switch to Dish)

3 days later I receive an email saying they are sad to see me go and to call back in to have a chance of getting my business back.

just got that same deal

#385 OFFLINE   press1280

press1280

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

I have the Entertainment package, no pay channels, no sports. I have 2 HD DVRs, 1 standard DVR and 1 standard receiver.

I tried twice now to get my bill down, all they are offering is 10 off per month with a 1 time 25 dollar off credit. They also offered the NFL ST at 160$ bucks. It seems they were willing to throw more channels my way, but that they seem to have a bottom line as far as how much to get from each customer. They did say they may have different deals next month though.

I may have to actually cancel for a few days (when I'm out of town) and see if they give me a real deal. If not, I'm going to possibly switch to Dish.

#386 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

I have the Entertainment package, ........ and see if they give me a real deal. If not, I'm going to possibly switch to Dish.

Perhaps having one of the lowest package has something to do why they are not willing to give you lots of credits....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#387 OFFLINE   Yindao

Yindao

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

Called today and negotiated with retentions for a while. 

Customer since 2007 - contract up in September 

Their offer:

Genie, 2 wireless genie clients 

Full Sunday Ticket for $99 

A few additional channels like DIY, American Heroes, etc. 

Should I keep playing hard ball? The equipment deal seems pretty solid. 

#388 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Should I keep playing hard ball? The equipment deal seems pretty solid. 

I would call again and see if they can throw in a free month of a mortgage payment as well....  !rolling

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#389 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 276 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

I'm a Choice Ultimate sub with no movie channels. I have about a month left on my contract and was able to swing $20/off for a year and an additional $5/off for two years. Also threw in HBO, Cinemax and Showtime free for three months - all without extending my commitment. Gal on the phone was going to throw in Sunday Ticket for free if I wanted to extend my contract to July of 2015 but I declined.

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#390 OFFLINE   Yindao

Yindao

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

I would call again and see if they can throw in a free month of a mortgage payment as well....  !rolling

So, you are saying i'm getting a good deal.  

:rolling:

#391 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

So, you are saying i'm getting a good deal.  

:rolling:

I would certainly think so.  You are basically getting a Genie, 2 wireless clients and the ST MAX package free of charge.  You are only paying fro the WVB.  Of course, having a months mortgage included will be icing on the cake!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#392 OFFLINE   Bigchinook

Bigchinook

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

First call to cancel ST this year did not go so well.

I asked what they could do for me as I felt the $330 price tag for NFL ST Max was ridiculous for loyal customers. The retention agent agreed that the price was steep compared with the free offer to new customers. She offered it for $230 and a $5 discount off of HBO/Show for 6 mo. I declined and said that was way more than I was willing to pay. I said I would like to canx and she said ok hold on for a minute while I take that off your account... What!

I ask once more if $230 is the best she could do and she said yes, and then I go into full rant mode about cancelling everything. She was like, ok, that's fine... I hang up with a $5 discount and no ST.

I call back a 15 minutes later, get a different retention agent and ask how long I have left on my contract, I'm going to Dish as the only reason I'm with DTV is for the ticket. He offers it to me for $139 plus $15 off the Ultimate package for 6 mo. I was happy and accepted.

Little rougher for me this year, first time I had to actually cancel the ST. Still pricey, but as long as it remains under $200; I'm willing to pay that.

#393 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Sometimes I wonder the loyalty of the football fans.  Back then, before BeIN Sports acquired the rights for the Conmebol World Cup qualifiers, I had to pay $29.99 for EACH game I wanted to watch on PPV, or some occasions I was paying $90.00 on one day to watch a few games, since soccer is my passion it did not bother me.  If I had to pay $400 to watch the World Cup, I would do it in a heart beat!

I was really happy when DirecTV® started carrying BeIN Sports 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#394 OFFLINE   brandnewfan

brandnewfan

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

I had the lowest package available.  I called last week to see about getting a lower bill, but I also told them I wasn't getting the channels I wanted.  Long story short, their offer couldn't get anywhere close to what Dish was offering.  I understand they couldn't get close to Dish's new customer offer, I'm just saying, and it's all about money, really.  So I canceled.

3-4 days later, and after they called me every day, I was offered the Choice package at about $65/month, with $10 off from there for 12 months, plus the premium channels free for three months, plus the NFL Sunday Ticket for free.  While my bill didn't really get reduced, I got the channels I wanted for about the same price, plus free movie channels.  That was enough for me to avoid the hassle of switching providers.

I did have to commit for another year.  I think I'll cancel at the end of the contract though, just because I feel like if they could've offered all that to me to begin with then they should have.  Plus, I'm seeing someone got a $200 visa card!  I wasn't offered that, lol.

Edited by brandnewfan, 25 July 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#395 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

I called and got $15 off for the next 6 months.  My contract is up next month.  With the $15, I will be paying $5 more, after my contract ends.  

#396 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

I called and got $15 off for the next 6 months. My contract is up next month. With the $15, I will be paying $5 more, after my contract ends.

And if you decide to stay without contract, they could throw some more credits your way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#397 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

And if you decide to stay without contract, they could throw some more credits your way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

How so?

#398 OFFLINE   kschoon1

kschoon1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

I have been a subscriber (this time) since since 2004. I have the Choice Extra Package with HD & NFL Sunday Ticket Max & Protection Package, Genie , 2 HD DVR's, an HD receiver and an SD receiver. In late May I was having issues with the Genie (HDD drive failed), which Directv replaced via the mail. I called today to discuss my bill and to see what if any discounts I could receive. I was then told that I had a 2 year commitment since I was given a Free Genie in May - which was not the case it was a replacement under the protection package. All they would offer me was $5 per month off the NFL package at 1st, then they offered $10 per month off the NFL package. I requested to speak to retention. After getting put through to retention she at 1st offered me the NFL Max package for $163 total. I told her I would just have to switch to Dish, that having been a loyal customer since 2004 it would seem I should be able to get a better deal than that since the new customers get a better deal. I also got her to note the account that I was not on a 2 year commitment. I suggested the commitment was why they were not offering me a better deal - which she said wasn't the case. However she then came back and gave me the NFL Max package for Free, $15 off my bill for 3 months, $5 off for 12 months, and 1/2 of the HD Extra package for 3 months.

I think I should note I remained calm throughout the entire call, never being rude or abusive. More flies with Honey theory etc. The rep was helpful and even at one point when I mentioned needing the NFL Max rather than just the NFL package since you only get the Red Zone channel with Max - stated, Yes that's how they hook you!, Lol, true but was surprised to here a Directv rep admit it.

This was my 2nd call as the 1st time I didn't get to retention. I thought I had read somewhere a while back that Directv had eliminated the retention department. Reviewing this thread prompted me to try again and I am sure glad I did. I would have switched to DISH but I really didn't want to.

#399 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

I called in today to activate an owned receiver and after it was turned on the csr said you are eligible for three free months of HBO. After confirming that was for free I said sure. I didn't ask for anything, he just offered it out of the blue.

#400 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

Only thing I got today was $10 off base package for 12 months and $5 off sports pack for 6 months
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...