Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone call DirecTV and reduce their bill? Share stats here!

negotiate price

• Please log in to reply
420 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

Yeah, I don't watch sports, so that's irrelevant to me. If I could turn them off on my current package I would. I have no desire to pay for my neighbors to watch sports. I also wouldn't order PPV & movie channels from DTV as I get those from other sources for a tiny fraction of the price DTV charges. I don't get why anybody buys that stuff from DTV. I mean, $15 for an hour of softcore? Have these people heard of the internet? :) But a normal HD movie PPV is like $8 now. For $8 you can just get a Netflix subscription with unlimited movies.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Well, you don't always have to switch to get new/returning customer deals, but you usually have to actually cancel.

Last time I cancelled DirecTV out, a bit over a year ago, I started getting 'come back' offers that were pretty much the same as a new customer gets, before the boxes showed up to ship the units back.  A word of caution though, it doesn't always happen that way and it certainly isn't the 'official' line of when you can return as a new customer.  But sometimes it does work.  Possibly I and others get them because we subscribe to at least Xtra with 2 Premiums in place most of the time.  I don't actually know or care, for that matter.

So if you want to gamble a bit, and do without any sat service for a very short time, you could take a shot!

Worse case you're out of sat TV for a day or two, possibly as long as a week or two.  At the end of whatever your patience is, then you could switch to the other service and be installed pretty quickly in most areas.  I know when I switched back to D* this time, I was installed the next morning here in 'balmy, sunny southern Illinois'!!   :)

I agree 100%. This is exactly what happened to me. I actually canceled my service with the disconnect date set for two weeks out. One week before the scheduled disconnect date, I received an email from DirecTV saying "It's so hard to say goodbye-so, let's not!" and instructed me to call them at a specific number. So, I did and wound up getting a great offer as if I was a new customer. I need to preface this by saying I was really canceling the service and had already set up an install with another company. I am not recommeding this course of action but merely adding that there are other methods of reducing your bill.

#303 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

As was I.  In fact I didn't change my mind though the offers very excellent.  I wanted a change, I wanted a Hopper!

Now that I'm back with D* for a while, I still miss the Hopper.  It is technically and operationally the very best HDDVR out there imo.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#304 OFFLINE   zfreeman

zfreeman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Iparsons21...got a question for you as someone who may be going to E is the hopper that great?

I don't watch half the stuff I dvr now and certainly don't give a rip about network tv. So I understand most of the tuners are devoted to network tv? If so can the customer change that?

Since you've had both services is one clearly better than the other? You pick the criteria, you know PQ, programming etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#305 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,219 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

I quit DirecTV 2 1/2 years ago. I got yet another come-back offer from them in the mail last week, highlighted by a $24.99 price marked down from $29.99 for the lowest package. I know that's just the beginning of the total cost.

TWC, though, is just as bad on law-balling the initial cost. I get mail from them as well as seeing TV ads.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#306 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Iparsons21...got a question for you as someone who may be going to E is the hopper that great?

I don't watch half the stuff I dvr now and certainly don't give a rip about network tv. So I understand most of the tuners are devoted to network tv? If so can the customer change that?

Since you've had both services is one clearly better than the other? You pick the criteria, you know PQ, programming etc.

Thanks!

I cancelled Directv at 6PM last night and told them to shut off service at midnight. I promptly picked up the phone and ordered DIsh. They showed up with a Hopper and Super Joey at 8AM sharp. 

You can turn off PTAT and it will leave you with 5 tuners (3 on the Hopper and 2 on the Super Joey). Being I watch some network primetime, I am leaving it on which will pull the big 4 in on one tuner during primetime while leaving 4 for other purposes. To be honest, more than I'll ever need. 

Initial impression of the Hopper is great. Love the PIP, guide look and speed. 

Back on topic, two hours after my install D* called and offered me $40 off for a year and NFL Sunday ticket. I cited the two year cost + equipment upgrade cost + no locals HD or otherwise as my reason for leaving. 

#307 OFFLINE   jyafink

jyafink

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

I called recently and this is what I got. A genie to replace a non DVR receiver with free install (I kept three DVR's instead of swapping them for the mini genies so I could have the extra recording space); a one time $50 credit; $20 off a month for a year; $10 off the sports pack for six months (I normally pay for that); six months free of the HD Extra Pack (I normally pay for that too); and four months free of channels 525-542 and 545-558 (don't care about those). Not sure if that is a good deal or not. The rep said I've paid my bill on time for the entire eight years I've been with them so that gives me the highest cutomer rating possible. She said I was getting a phenomenal deal that only a very small percentage get. I of course am not so sure.

Edited by jyafink, 18 March 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#308 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

The Hopper UI is certainly superior to the HRs by quite a bit.  Other than that you'll find most things you are used to but in different ways.  IOW, neither service is that far from the other in getting things done though there are differences in some programming and how it is packaged.

At most one timer can be used to record the top 4 broadcast channels, though you don't have to.  As to PQ, well HD PQ on D* is technically better though I personally don't see the difference.  SD PQ on Dish is generally better than D*.

Lloyd

#309 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,034 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:01 AM

at some point and time DirecTV has to make some money off you....

Yea cause they are going broke because of all the free services they provide.;) Lol.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#310 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:33 AM

Yea cause they are going broke because of all the free services they provide.;) Lol.

well if they start to give all programing for free they eventually will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#311 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:44 AM

well if they start to give all programing for free they eventually will

Trust me they take way more money then they give.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#312 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

Trust me they take way more money then they give.

right, cause many folks are paying their bills out right

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#313 OFFLINE   zfreeman

zfreeman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

I love Peds48 saying that if they(D*) give away all their programming for free they will go broke, well Captain Obvious you would be correct, but they aren't and nobody is suggesting they should. You seem to have a grudge for those of us who are able to negotiate a better price.

You and a very few others seem to think its a zero sum game, if some people get discounts others can't. The truth is nobody is going hungry over @ D*, no execs are taking pay cuts or getting their expense account shut down. What do you think D* does when they negotiate with the programmers? The ask for discounts.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
  • damondlt and satcrazy like this

#314 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

I love Peds48 saying that if they(D*) give away all their programming for free they will go broke, well Captain Obvious you would be correct, but they aren't and nobody is suggesting they should. You seem to have a grudge for those of us who are able to negotiate a better price.

You and a very few others seem to think its a zero sum game, if some people get discounts others can't. The truth is nobody is going hungry over @ D*, no execs are taking pay cuts or getting their expense account shut down. What do you think D* does when they negotiate with the programmers? The ask for discounts.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

my point was that some one is footing the bill four those who get discounts

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#315 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

my point was that some one is footing the bill four those who get discounts

It is already factored into the published price structure.  They know some will call for some sort of discounts and the bean counters are very good at knowing how much, to who and under what circumstances.  I don't give one seconds thought to what me getting some discount might do to others or to D*.  D* has rooms full of bean counters ensuring that they are well taken care of, I only have me to ensure that happens for me.

Lloyd

#316 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

I was able to extend some credits. HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz: I had these for the previous 6 months and $5 off for each. They expired on the 16th and I was able to get them all again but at $7 a month now. Kept my sports credit at $5 a month. SO all in all I save an extra $8 a month. I'm happy with that. 

#317 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

I just called to see what Directv could do on MLB EI and They added it for free and gave me 12 months of $37 credits off premier. Thanks Directv!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#318 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

I just called to see what Directv could do on MLB EI and They added it for free and gave me 12 months of $37 credits off premier. Thanks Directv!

perhaps this will make a believer out of you

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#319 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

perhaps this will make a believer out of you

Believer of what? That I just bankrupted directv because of this offer. Lol.

Don't worry Directv still gets $182 per month for my $37 in credits they give me.

Edited by damondlt, 22 March 2014 - 08:12 AM.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#320 OFFLINE   tecumseh

tecumseh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Called this week about not renewing MLB EI, and ended up getting $37 a month off my bill for 6 months for renewing it with the mlb.tv bonus. CSR also arranged for replacing my Slimline 3 with the 5 lnb horn, to get the additional music channels, but when the installer got here, he didn't have the part needed so I ended up getting the whole home setup installed, at no cost. Pretty good week between me and DIRECTV!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using DBSTalk mobile app
  • damondlt likes this

spam firewall