Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone call DirecTV and reduce their bill? Share stats here!

negotiate price

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

Most people aren't going to switch simply to save $10 off their monthly bill.

Oh, you will be surprised.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#342 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,856 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

Most of the time when you call to see if they have any special offers to help with your bill the last thing they say is

"Call back when these expire and see what we can do for you at that time".

They are inviting the calls.

I would bet that No one on here buys everything at full price. Don't we all brag about the TV we got on sale, found gasoline cheaper here than there.

Looking for reductions in pricing of anything is an easy way to spend a lot less of your hard earned money. If you don't search for deals / sales / etc. you are just throwing money away.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#343 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

Most of the time when you call to see if they have any special offers to help with your bill the last thing they say is

"Call back when these expire and see what we can do for you at that time".

They are inviting the calls.

That is called "passing the buck" (no pun intended).  Basically this is CSR speak to get you off the phone 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#344 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

I would bet that No one on here buys everything at full price. Don't we all brag about the TV we got on sale, found gasoline cheaper here than there.

Looking for reductions in pricing of anything is an easy way to spend a lot less of your hard earned money. If you don't search for deals / sales / etc. you are just throwing money away.

depends what you call "full price" for me full price is what is posted on sticker.  going to another gas station you are still paying full price AT THAT gas station, you just buying it cheaper.  this would be like switching providers.  I pay full price all the time at the supermarket, even if is on sale, I am paying what they are asking me to pay.  I pay full price for my cable and cellphone, water, oil, etc bills

What I don't pay full price for is DirecTV!  :rotfl:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#345 OFFLINE   cansas

cansas

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

Contacted DirecTV to be certain I was not in a commitment yesterday. I was routed to express service with a pin. I asked how I could save money and was told I could drop choice to entertainment (I do this every year after college basketball is over anyway). She did offer me a Genie with new commitment, but I mentioned that of the 3 providers (Dish, DirecTV, Uverse) I could choose from DirecTV is the only provider without a carriage agreement for the SEC network. I do not want to be locked in if DirecTV will not carry the SEC network. I was asked if I considered changing providers and said yes I have. I have feeling the CSR would have helped me cancel with a smile. First time in recent memory that I wasn't offered any discounts. I've only asked for anything in the last 3 years once Uverse came to the neighborhood. I've been with DirecTV uninterrupted for 16 years.

#346 OFFLINE   kleedelaney

kleedelaney

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

I called into Directv this morning to see about reducing my service. I was offered $20 dollars off each month for 12 months, and $5 dollars off each month for 6 months. At the end of my 12 month commitment, she said to call back and see what we could do then.

In total the call took about 13 minutes, the CSR was super friendly and understanding.

I maintained my Choice XTRA Classic grandfathered in programming :D Happy camper today!

#347 OFFLINE   pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

I'm in the same boat.. I just lowered from Choice Xtra to Just Choice... And then They hit me with a Sports Fee, my HD discount fell off, and I'm paying $100 now for less channels that I was paying $86/mo before.

CoWorker just gave me her Dish Discount number, I just signed up for an install on Sat.

It'll be $60/mo for a Hopper and SuperJoey, and AT200, which is very close to the Choice Xtra package I had.

Year two will be about $90/mo. On the bright side, Dish is very up front with the pricing, and even gives it on the website in writing of all fees and such.

I have nothing wrong with Directv (been with them for 10 years), but the pricing has really gone out of hand....

Question: Should I call today to cancel on Sat (can they cancel "in the future"), just to see if they'll discount to keep me. If so I'll need to do it at least 24 hrs to cancel the Dish truck roll...

I don't want to be stuck on the phone with them. Last time I cancelled their service (for a family member who died), it was a PITA to say the least.

#348 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

Question: Should I call today to cancel on Sat (can they cancel "in the future"), just to see if they'll discount to keep me. If so I'll need to do it at least 24 hrs to cancel the Dish truck roll...

I don't want to be stuck on the phone with them. Last time I cancelled their service (for a family member who died), it was a PITA to say the least.

You can call in to cancel when ever you want, be it for today or in the future 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#349 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,856 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

I'm in the same boat.. I just lowered from Choice Xtra to Just Choice... And then They hit me with a Sports Fee, my HD discount fell off, and I'm paying $100 now for less channels that I was paying $86/mo before.

CoWorker just gave me her Dish Discount number, I just signed up for an install on Sat.

It'll be $60/mo for a Hopper and SuperJoey, and AT200, which is very close to the Choice Xtra package I had.

Year two will be about $90/mo. On the bright side, Dish is very up front with the pricing, and even gives it on the website in writing of all fees and such.

I have nothing wrong with Directv (been with them for 10 years), but the pricing has really gone out of hand....

I believe we have had posters that wanted to cancel in the future and the CSR turned it off immediately. I would wait until you want it off and call. They can do it in a matter of minutes, just like changing to a different package.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#350 OFFLINE   watchintv

watchintv

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

Directv is currently doing a pilot to where no credits are available to any account only options are changing package and bundling the service the Directv we have come to know and love and be able to threaten we are going to cancel to get credits is coming to an end start being prepared to pay for the services you are receiving

#351 OFFLINE   pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

I believe we have had posters that wanted to cancel in the future and the CSR turned it off immediately. I would wait until you want it off and call. They can do it in a matter of minutes, just like changing to a different package.

Yeah, I'd be open to a counter offer, but turning it off early could cause some rifs with my 5YO twins =-). Reason I held off a few months was that Dish got Disney Jr. I'd be in the doghouse without it. In fact I'd probably try my local IPTV (Consolidated), but they don't have it.

#352 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

Directv is currently doing a pilot to where no credits are available to any account only options are changing package and bundling the service the Directv we have come to know and love and be able to threaten we are going to cancel to get credits is coming to an end start being prepared to pay for the services you are receiving

We were told about this late last month.  Then, a few days later, when I called to change my package (in order to save $8 per month, without losing any channels that I watch), they gave me a 6 month, $27 per month discount on the Premiere package.  So, unless this is a new, different pilot, it appears that it may be a test that isn't across the board.  I know that when we do tests at my company, we typically choose a random group of customers (based on the value of a given digit (or group of digits) in their account number to determine who is and isn't in the test group.  Maybe they are doing something similar which would explain why some people still appearing to be receiving credits while others aren't.

#353 OFFLINE   gt2982a

gt2982a

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

I just called D* and I said cancel at the voice menu.  I talked to a very nice CSR and she gave me a choice of $15 off per month for 6 months or $10 off per month for 12 months.  She also gave me 4 months of Showtime for free and she said that I would not have to call back to cancel.  I was also very nice and upfront that I did not want to cancel.  We've been subscribers for >10 years and we have the Choice package.

#354 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

She also gave me 4 months of Showtime for free and she said that I would not have to call back to cancel.

Keep track of that one in case she is incorrect about this.

#355 OFFLINE   gt2982a

gt2982a

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

Keep track of that one in case she is incorrect about this.

Exactly.  I almost turned her down because we watch relatively few movies but I thought I'd give it a shot since she emphasized that it would drop off of the bill in four months.  Overall, I check our bill every month anyway so I'll catch it if she was wrong.  

#356 OFFLINE   pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

I found out they were over billing me (for HD when I had HD for life) but unwilling to fix it... unless I put myself into another 2Yr agreement. (I posted another thread on it, since it was a bit beyond this topic).

Basically, I cancelled... Dish Network Truck will be here tomorrow.

Never thought I'd give up DirecTV, but they decided otherwise.

#357 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

I found out they were over billing me (for HD when I had HD for life) but unwilling to fix it... unless I put myself into another 2Yr agreement. (I posted another thread on it, since it was a bit beyond this topic).

Basically, I cancelled... Dish Network Truck will be here tomorrow.

Never thought I'd give up DirecTV, but they decided otherwise.

Where is your thread?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#358 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

Where is your thread?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

http://www.dbstalk.c...e/#entry3249092

• damondlt likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#359 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Exactly.  I almost turned her down because we watch relatively few movies but I thought I'd give it a shot since she emphasized that it would drop off of the bill in four months.  Overall, I check our bill every month anyway so I'll catch it if she was wrong.  

I think your safe with this one, I have had Showtime free many times and anytime Customer Retention Group has added it, it has always dropped off automatically. You should see it listed in the Other section (very bottom of My Equipment page online) with a $0.00. When your PDF/paper bill version comes out if you look at the end date that is the last day you will have it available (they officially turn it off the following day at 6AM ET). So as you see in the screenshot I had it through 2/23, so they turned the channels off officially at 6AM ET/3AM PT 2/24. Once they drop off the line item in the Other section disappears as well.

post-478211-0-96705200-1397870085.png

BTW, if you set a Sports Subscription to NOT auto-renew for the next season you might see a line item listed in the Other section for that as well. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Showtime.PNG

#360 OFFLINE   gt2982a

gt2982a

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:27 AM

Thanks for the info coolman.

• coolman302003 likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...