Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone call DirecTV and reduce their bill? Share stats here!

negotiate price

• Please log in to reply
552 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

...At the end of the day those who do not call, because we dont feel entitled, we wind up paying for the discounts of others.

MadMagazine38.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#152 OFFLINE   spummerr

spummerr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

Wow!! You people are lucky!!

I'm a several year customer, Have the 2nd to the top package.  Called to ask about upgrading from a HD receiver to a HD DVR receiver. Could I get one at no cost--

Direct tv wouldn't budge. She said I could buy it, & it would cost a extra $7 a month for DVR service!   I wasn't happy.

I'm looking at going to Dish just for the first year savings. Also looking at getting a Magnavox dvd recorder

#153 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

With the sub lost this past quarter, I can see why their giving out credits and free ST.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#154 OFFLINE   bumeister

bumeister

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

The only discount they gave me was to extend the $10/month credit for another 12 months, they did not offer me anything in the way of discounts off my base package. But I'm not anywhere close to the end of my agreement, so maybe that's why. 

OTOH they did give me a whole slew of free short-term programming, which I am happy about but my wife (who hates hates hates television) is not. She'd rather have a monthly credit. 

Showtime free 3 months

Starz free 6 months

HD Extra Pack free 3 months

NFL Sunday Ticket free

• kaminar likes this

#155 OFFLINE   oliversmall

oliversmall

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I compiled the feedback I got here and other forums. 

Highlights of my research:

• On average, customers were able to reduce their bill by $22/month.
  • Calls with DirecTV took between 5 and 20 minutes
  • Customers who were not able to reduce their bill fell into two catagories: They were either in their first 6 months of using the service, or they had a history of paying bills late.
  • Customers who had been with DirecTV for 5+ years had the greatest success, with an average savings of $26/month.
  • For each $10 in premium services they had (HBO, Showtime, etc.) customers were able to save on average an additional $1/month.

Here's a link detailing the results and my overall recommendations for negotiating with DirecTV: http://haggleroo.com...directv-comcast

• kaminar likes this

#156 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

Got another $5/mo for 6 months b/c of HBO signal failure on Sunday night. 

HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#157 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,139 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

I called up Directv to drop my Cinemax package because I added HBO to my already subscribed Starz package for Boardwalk Empire season and they Gave me a $15 credit for 6 months if I kept all 3.

So $24 for HBO, Starz and Cinemax

Nice deal I wasn't expecting. :righton:

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#158 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

I called up Directv to drop my Cinemax package because I added HBO to my already subscribed Starz package for Boardwalk Empire season and they Gave me a $15 credit for 6 months if I kept all 3.

So $24 for HBO, Starz and Cinemax

Nice deal I wasn't expecting. :righton:

I was gonna say that they should of had a 2 for 1 offer for Max and HBO combined.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, HR20-700 Owned (Not Active), R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#159 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,139 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

I was gonna say that they should of had a 2 for 1 offer for Max and HBO combined.

2 for 1 is only 3 months and its only $11.01 credit not $15

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#160 OFFLINE   kakster

kakster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

long time customer with 6 dvrs current bill 180/mo, out of contract

got:

free sunday ticket + red zone (agreed to 12 month contract with directv)

free HD 12 months

another 20/mo discount on premium programming for 6 months

new bill for next 6 mo = 155/mo

My setup: Setup

#161 OFFLINE   Forsberg21

Forsberg21

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:35 AM

I called and got what I wanted. I took them up on the free upgrade offer (due to having the protection plan) and the tech will come out on Sept 3rd with the Genie and any necessary other equipment to get the DVR up and running (at least this is what I was told.) I will send back the HR24-500, as I only have 1 TV. But get this,they also took off roughly $48 a month from my bill (I have the Premier Acct.) The fees waived were: $5 paperless billing/$10 sports package/$10 Advanced Receiver DVR/$5 HBO/$5 Showtime/$5 Starz/$5 Cinemax/$3 for Whole Home DVR fee. PLUS, ............they gave me Sunday Ticket for free (with Red Zone Channel) as well!!!

Not bad huh? The waived fees ( at least $40 of them) will last for 6 months and save me roughly a total of around $300 within the next 12 months total (throw in Sunday Ticket and that total would be around $600!!!) I am one happy camper, thank you DirecTV!!!!

#162 OFFLINE   jcmwwe

jcmwwe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hi how do u get them to giving u promotions or discounts? I just to ask about upgrading to genie for free because i have protection plan they said it was not true on giving sunday ticket for free or monthly discount on bills. Please let me know. Thanks

#163 OFFLINE   bossfan50

bossfan50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hi how do u get them to giving u promotions or discounts? I just to ask about upgrading to genie for free because i have protection plan they said it was not true on giving sunday ticket for free or monthly discount on bills. Please let me know. Thanks

Were you speaking to a regular CSR or a retention CSR.  The regular CSR will not usually do much for you.  At the initial voice prompt you need to say cancel and then say cancel service. That will get you to a retention CSR and if your account is eligible for any discounts or promotions the retention CSR is the one to talk to.

#164 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

and also you account history, along with tenure and the like, plays a huge role on what you qualify for 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#165 OFFLINE   stususs

stususs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

The negotiation was an ordeal. I have been a subscriber since 1996.

First, I had to give up my legacy Total Choice package.  To match the channels I wanted, I needed to subscribe to the higher priced XTRA package.

In return, I was offered $20 per month credit for 12 months, $15 per month credit for 12 months, $10 credit against my Sports Pack subscription for 12 months.  I was promised the continuation of my $10 per month HD credit in return for the continuation of my automatic bill payment by credit card.  I received free Sunday Ticket including MAX.  For MAX I was charged $75 which was then offset by a one-time credit labeled "XTRA - Gen Reten CRG."  I requested and received a GenieGo.  For the GenieGo I was told I would be billed $99 plus $19.95 shipping which would be offset in full with one time credits, although my online billing activity does not show either the charges or the credits.  This conversation occurred on a Friday, and the GenieGo was delivered to me on Saturday.  I was obliged to setup the GenieGo by myself which I was able to do.

This took 35 minutes of heavy negotiation as the retention CSR frequently left me on hold, presumably to seek approval of a supervisor.  After the negotiations were concluded I was transferred to a "verification CSR" who was to confirm my agreement to an additional 12 months commitment.  The verification CSR had different terms than had previously been negotiated.  The $10 per month Sports Pack credit was only available for 6 months, not 12 months.  But the $15 credit was for 15 months, not 12 months.  This was an additional cost to me of $15.  At this point I was exhausted from all of the haggling and I surrendered the $15.

The total length of this process was 45 minutes.

#166 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

It's amazing the different deals you will be offered just depending upon the CSR that answers your call. I wish they would streamline what they offering 

#167 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

I wish they would streamline what they offering 

and they have, just call 1800 DTV-CAREERS  and apply for a job.  !rolling

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#168 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Has anyone without the protection plan been offered or received an equipment upgrade? Coming up on my contract expiration, and I wasn't sure if there were any criteria people have found for getting a new Genie system without the protection plan.

#169 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

Has anyone without the protection plan been offered or received an equipment upgrade? Coming up on my contract expiration, and I wasn't sure if there were any criteria people have found for getting a new Genie system without the protection plan.

I called in last week and asked about a Genie for free and they said no problem, they will be here to install on Wednesday. I just upgraded to all HD a year ago at no cost and I don't have the protection plan. Make sure you say cancel at the prompt.

#170 OFFLINE   DViper2399

DViper2399

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

I think where you are in your contract agreement is a big factor as well, I was able to get a few decent credits including a $50 one time credit, but still can't get free sunday ticket. I tried twice now. I'm on autopay been with DTV for very long time & still no free NFL this season, I think it is because I am still under contract for more then 12months longer because of the Genie upgrade I got back in Janurary. I will attempt 1 more time in a few days. I even mentioned switching to TWC with them paying my early termination fee

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#171 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

I think where you are in your contract agreement is a big factor as well, I was able to get a few decent credits including a $50 one time credit, but still can't get free sunday ticket. I tried twice now. I'm on autopay been with DTV for very long time & still no free NFL this season, I think it is because I am still under contract for more then 12months longer because of the Genie upgrade I got back in Janurary. I will attempt 1 more time in a few days. I even mentioned switching to TWC with them paying my early termination fee

Thanks all. I'm coming up in November. Was a long time subscriber but left 5 or 6 years ago for a bundled cable deal. Came back two years ago. I've taken advantage of a couple of freebies along the way (Nickelodeon credit and a free movie channel offer or two), but I've never abused anything. Auto pay and about $130 a month when not paying for NHLCI. My wife is not a TV watcher, and she's the one who takes care of paying the monthly bills...

I'm hoping to shave off some monthly plus upgrade to Genie (would love an HR44 I think it's called). Not looking for ST, but it doesn't sound like there is any play on CI.

I get the CSR roulette game, but (knock on wood) I've been really lucky with past CSR's being helpful on the first try. I'm squeamish, though, about having notes left behind and calling too often.

So, my question is on timing. Would it be better to call before or after the contract is up?

Thanks again.

#172 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

your timing is just about right since you dont have much left on your contract. the cancellation would be about $40.00. I would call right away

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#173 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Called today.  I'm out of contract.  Got:

free Sunday Ticket Max

$20 off for 12 months

free Showtime 4 months

free Sports Pack 3 months

free Genie upgrade and install

I did have to agree to a 2-year contract (due to Genie).  The Retentions guy was really nice and I'm sure I could have got more $ off but I felt like what he offered was already excellent.  I'm not totally greedy. :-)

Good luck to everyone!

ps:  some people have asked about the Protection Plan and Genie.  I don't have the PP but was offered the free Genie anyway,.

Edited by Bob Coxner, 05 September 2013 - 11:32 AM.

Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#174 OFFLINE   DViper2399

DViper2399

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

I really could not get them to budge, today was my last attempt & I even went as far as actually setting up my cancelation disconnection of service to auto take affect on the 13th. Now I will probably decide to call back & cancel that happening but not certain yet even after all discounts my bill was still $100 a month & thats with HBO as the only premium & no NFL

#175 OFFLINE   btedford

btedford

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

When I called in last week to lower my package from Premier and drop down my base package and then just pay for HBO and Showtime separately, they offered me $25 off for 6 months to stay at my current level of programming and I took it. 

Edited by btedford, 03 September 2013 - 03:18 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...