Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone call DirecTV and reduce their bill? Share stats here!

negotiate price

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   bossfan50

bossfan50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

I have $20 worth of credits rolling off so I called to see what D* will offer.  I have a grandfathered Total Choice package.  In the past I have always been offered credits of some kind but the retention rep that I spoke to told me that he could not offer me any credits on a retired package and that I would have to change my package to one of the current packages. To get the programming that I currently have I would have to go to the XTRA package so even with credits that have been offered to me my bill would actually increase by about $6 per month over what I currently pay.   Has anyone on a grandfathered package been told that they have to change to a current package to be eligible for account credits?

Anyhow here is what I have been offered.  I told the rep that I need to think about it but I will probably accept the offer.  I did not ask for Sunday Ticket because other than my local team I do not watch a lot of football so even if I can get it for free I would not watch all those football games.

XTRA Package

$20 Programming Credit for 12 months

I currently have a $10 HD credit that has 4 months to go.  Rep said this could be renewed after it expires.

One Time $50 Credit

Free Genie Upgrade

My current service consists of the grandfathered Total Choice, Whole Home, HR20 and a HR22.  I do not have any premium channels.  My current bill with credits is $70.87.  Because I would have to give up the retired Total Choice and accept a change to XTRA my bill would actually increase to $76.77.  I know that I am not entitled to anything but I have had my Total Choice package since day 1 with D* 10 years ago and it has all the programming that I need so I am not thrilled that I have to change to XTRA at a higher cost regardless of the credits.

When I call back I will have to clarify the $50 one time credit.  I think that the $76.77 I was quoted includes just the $20 and $10 credits only.

Edited by bossfan50, 07 August 2013 - 03:53 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#122 OFFLINE   Jeffrow925

Jeffrow925

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

What are you guys saying to get these discounts, especially Sunday ticket.

Everytime I call I just end up getting frustrated by lack of offers and hang up. Is there some kind of key words or phrases to use?

#123 OFFLINE   bossfan50

bossfan50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

What are you guys saying to get these discounts, especially Sunday ticket.

Everytime I call I just end up getting frustrated by lack of offers and hang up. Is there some kind of key words or phrases to use?

Well are you talking to a regular CSR or a retention CSR.   The key words is "cancel" at the main prompt and "close account" at the next prompt.  That will get you to a retention CSR who has the authority to offer you whatever discounts are available to you based on factors like number of years as a D* customer, payment history, and programming services that you have.

If you are not saying cancel at the main prompt then you are speaking to a plain old regular CSR who will not offer you the discounts that you are hoping to get.

Edited by bossfan50, 07 August 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#124 OFFLINE   Boiler_81

Boiler_81

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

I have $20 worth of credits rolling off so I called to see what D* will offer.  I have a grandfathered Total Choice package.  In the past I have always been offered credits of some kind but the retention rep that I spoke to told me that he could not offer me any credits on a retired package and that I would have to change my package to one of the current packages. To get the programming that I currently have I would have to go to the XTRA package so even with credits that have been offered to me my bill would actually increase by about $6 per month over what I currently pay.   Has anyone on a grandfathered package been told that they have to change to a current package to be eligible for account credits?

Anyhow here is what I have been offered.  I told the rep that I need to think about it but I will probably accept the offer.  I did not ask for Sunday Ticket because other than my local team I do not watch a lot of football so even if I can get it for free I would not watch all those football games.

XTRA Package

I currently have a $10 HD credit that has 4 months to go.  Rep said this could be renewed after it expires.

One Time $50 Credit

Free Genie Upgrade

My current service consists of the grandfathered Total Choice, Whole Home, HR20 and a HR22.  I do not have any premium channels.  My current bill with credits is $70.87.  Because I would have to give up the retired Total Choice and accept a change to XTRA my bill would actually increase to $76.77.  I know that I am not entitled to anything but I have had my Total Choice package since day 1 with D* 10 years ago and it has all the programming that I need so I am not thrilled that I have to change to XTRA at a higher cost regardless of the credits.

When I call back I will have to clarify the $50 one time credit.  I think that the $76.77 I was quoted includes just the $20 and $10 credits only.

Have you tried another CR? I am in the same boat with the grandfathered package. I have been a D customer since the begining. I plan on calling sometime in the next couple of days to see what I can do on price.

#125 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

Well, guess I'll weigh in here ...

DIRECTV sub. non-stop since '95 here;

Currently have a grandfathered Premiere package with the $7.00/mo. DVR fee waived and the HD extra package.

Recently through retention and later even a 1st level CSR (if you can believe it) managed to get a $15.00/mo. discount off Premiere plus an additional $10.00/mo. credit for Starz and Cinemax both until Jan. 1 of '14.

Was offered a good discount for NFL ST as well, but refused as I can't in good conscious watch football any longer given the extreme brutality, injuries to players, and criminal behavior that sport causes or contributes to, nowadays especially.

But anyway, with 5 DVRs (one a Genie) I'm still paying ~$135.00/mo. even with all the discounts.  

Edited by HoTat2, 08 August 2013 - 11:10 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#126 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Well are you talking to a regular CSR or a retention CSR.   The key words is "cancel" at the main prompt and "close account" at the next prompt.  That will get you to a retention CSR who has the authority to offer you whatever discounts are available to you based on factors like number of years as a D* customer, payment history, and programming services that you have.

If you are not saying cancel at the main prompt then you are speaking to a plain old regular CSR who will not offer you the discounts that you are hoping to get.

So you get to a Retention CSR...then what are the magic words?  

"What can you do for me to lower my bill?"

"The difference between Premier and Ultimate is about $50, thinking of dropping down unless I can get a better deal...?"

Anything with the word(s) Netflix of Hulu in the sentence?

or...if it's true...saying that you're considering canceling?

FWIW, customer since 98, Premier for years.  Currently about $160/mo. with 3 DVRs...out of contract.

One HR21 with AM21 OTA (playroom)

One HR24-100 (great room)
One HR24-500 (Master BR) with AM21 OTA
SL5-SWM
two receivers with 1TB drives in external enclosures connected via esata.
Winegard hd-1080 UHF/hi-VHF antenna

#127 OFFLINE   bossfan50

bossfan50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

So you get to a Retention CSR...then what are the magic words?  

"What can you do for me to lower my bill?"

"The difference between Premier and Ultimate is about $50, thinking of dropping down unless I can get a better deal...?"

Anything with the word(s) Netflix of Hulu in the sentence?

or...if it's true...saying that you're considering canceling?

FWIW, customer since 98, Premier for years.  Currently about $160/mo. with 3 DVRs...out of contract.

I don't think that there are any magic words to use.  Everyone has their own approach but if you read through enough posts here and on other forums you can get a general idea of what to say.  I usually tell them that I am evaluating my options between Directv, Fios, and Comcast and I would like to know what discounts and promotions my account is eligible for.  They always comeback with something and then you can try to push for more by asking if there is anything else that can be offered.  Discounts and promotions offered are usually based on your service level and payment history so if there is something that you really want to get like a Genie or premium channel discounts just ask and they will say yes or no.  Eventually the CSR will say that there is nothing more that can be offered at which point you can accept the offer or tell them that you'd like to think about it.  If you tell them that you want to think about it they will note on your account what was discussed so when you call back there is a record of your previous conversation.

#128 OFFLINE   bossfan50

bossfan50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

Have you tried another CR? I am in the same boat with the grandfathered package. I have been a D customer since the begining. I plan on calling sometime in the next couple of days to see what I can do on price.

I did not call back yet.  When I said that I want to think about it I was given a direct phone number for the retention department and a PIN ID that I was told to use.  I was told that the offers that I was given would be good for 5 days and then after that I would have to call back to start the process all over again.  If you are calling in the next couple of days I would be grateful if you post what happened and if they also told you that you would have to change from your grandfathered package in order to get any discounts.

#129 OFFLINE   Mystere

Mystere

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

I have been a customer since Feb of 2010 and out of contract.  I currently have the Choice Extra Classic package with 2 HR-22 HD-DVRs.  I called today and got

$20 discount off subscription for 12 months

$10 discount off DVR for 12 months

NFL Sunday Ticket Free - (ST MAX was just a slight discount off normal price)

Free Upgrade Genie and 2 mini clients (I have protection plan)

2 Months Free HBO/Starz/Showtime/CMAX/Encore/Sports

I also changed from the Choice Extra Classic to the Choice package to save another $7/month.

I'm very pleased with the deal I was able to get.

#130 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:52 PM

called in a few weeks ago just to tell them that i had to get a new debit card and the old one was inactive.. While i was on the phone with the really nice young lady, she said that she noticed on my account that i have subscribed to the sunday ticket for the past 3 years and asked if i would be interested in getting it for free with a one year comitment..

I told her that it would be nice but, i am saving up all my comitments for when they finally drop the hammer and offer me a Genie.She then replied with "well lets take a look and see what i can do here" and ask if she could put me on hold for a min.. i said okay and it went to really corny elevator music for about 5 mins..... she then came back and said she could do the following:

* A Genie and a Mini - Free

* Sunday Ticket - Free

* $35 a month credit for 12mo

* HBO, Showtime and Stars free for 3 mo

All of that came of course with the standard new 2 year agreement. I about had a heart attack and froze with that offer and all i could say was "sold".... After i regained my thoughts i made a comment that i know that they dont ashore certain models but i was really keeping my fingers crossed for a HR44. She then said that she could make a note that " a HR44 is prefered if availble" but as i stated they will install what they have.

Two days later the installer showed up for install. I had my thoughts set to expect a HR34 and a C31 to be installed. To my suprize he came with a HR44 and a C41 onboard to install for me.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#131 OFFLINE   ni711

ni711

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

My contract was up in a few weeks they upgraded my 2 hr22s for a genie and a client only charging me the $49 install fee, free hd for 24 months and free Sunday ticket. Got an hr34 but its still better than my hr22.

#132 OFFLINE   Boiler_81

Boiler_81

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

I did not call back yet.  When I said that I want to think about it I was given a direct phone number for the retention department and a PIN ID that I was told to use.  I was told that the offers that I was given would be good for 5 days and then after that I would have to call back to start the process all over again.  If you are calling in the next couple of days I would be grateful if you post what happened and if they also told you that you would have to change from your grandfathered package in order to get any discounts.

I think I am going to hold off for a bit in order to give time for the HR34s to be purged.

#133 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

Been with DirecTV since 1999.

Got NFLST Max for free last year.

My bill is about $95 a month.

Just called, rep offered to reduce bill to $48 a month, said they can't give NFLST free 2 years in a row but offered it for $37 a month for 4 months ($148, so half off?)

So my monthly bill will be $85 for 4 months, then $48 after that (half off).

He did not mention about extending my contract (it expires this month).

He asked if I was interested in Genie but I'm happy with my old HR20, so I declined.

I think I did OK.

Here's what it says now:

08/07/2013 XXXXXXXX NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2013 HD - Charge $0.00 $0.00 08/07/2013 XXXXXXXX CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC - $20/12moBasePkg ($20.00) $0.00 08/07/2013 XXXXXXXX CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC - $15/15moBasePkg ($15.00) $0.00 08/07/2013 XXXXXXXX Advanced Receiver-HD - 12moFreeHDExist ($10.00) $0.00 08/07/2013 XXXXXXXX NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2013 - Charge $36.99 $0.00 08/07/2013 XXXXXXXX To Our Valued Customer - Charge $0.00 $0.00

Looks like you got the same deal I got except for the NFLST Max charge.  Funny how they say you can't get it for free 2 years in a row, but I've gotten it for free 3years in a row now.  Ahhhh, CSR roulette!

• Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#134 OFFLINE   bossfan50

bossfan50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

I have $20 worth of credits rolling off so I called to see what D* will offer.  I have a grandfathered Total Choice package.  In the past I have always been offered credits of some kind but the retention rep that I spoke to told me that he could not offer me any credits on a retired package and that I would have to change my package to one of the current packagesTo get the programming that I currently have I would have to go to the XTRA package so even with credits that have been offered to me my bill would actually increase by about $6 per month over what I currently pay.   Has anyone on a grandfathered package been told that they have to change to a current package to be eligible for account credits?

XTRA Package

One Time $50 Credit

Free Genie Upgrade.  

So I called back today to follow up on my previous conversation with retentions.  In order to get any discounts to my account I did have to change from my grandfathered Total Choice package.  The CSR said that while before they were able to offer discounts on grandfathered packages they no longer can do that because of agreements that they have made with channel providers to not offer discounts on old packages.  Whether that is true or not despite a hard push the CSR said that the only way to get discounts was to change out of my grandfathered package.

The Choice package would have been the package that was similar to the grandfathered Total Choice package however that package does not include NBC Sports Network which I watch during hockey season so I had to go to the more expensive XTRA package.  I was given the choice of NFL Sunday Ticket or the stand alone Red Zone channel and a $50 one time credit,  Unlike other people there is only so much football I can watch so between my local team and the other games on NBC, NFL Network, and ESPN that is eough football for me so I chose the Red Zone Channel and a $50 credit.

So the offer that I accepted:

Change from grandfathered Total Choice to XTRA Package

$20 Programming Credit for 12 months - 1 year commitment required

One Time $50 Credit

Red Zone channel no charge

Free Genie upgrade. No client as I am keeping my other DVR.   I already have a SWM set up so it will be drop shipped at no charge.  Required 2 year commitment which is not a problem for me.

Edited by bossfan50, 12 August 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#135 OFFLINE   DJPellegrino

DJPellegrino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Received a $45/month credit for a year + tax = 50.93/month for a year. No contract commitment. I was offered NFL Sunday ticket, but refused as I just don't get to watch football that much, due to other activities. Offered the Genie, and keep my 2 DVR's for a total of 9 recordable channels. Currently refused as well as I did not want the 2 year commitment. I've been with DTV for 14 years. Asked them to note it in my account about the Genie as I may want to take them up on it later as I find out more about it. I'm thinking that to do the last option, I'd have to go to a SWM 16. I currently have a SWM8 with band pass filter and Slimline 5 dish.

Press Here for my setup info

#136 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,316 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

wow!  you guys are so lucky directv does this ,as far as i know verizon fios doesnt even come close to offering  goodies like this  This is one thing i miss about directv ,they really try to keep you happy,once(when i was a customer) i called directv because i was having greakups on my signal after we solved the problem the csr offered me HBOand cinemax free for 3 months without me even asking for anything!  Heck after my 1st contract was up verizon wouldnt give me a break on nba league pass ,but they did have a $360.00 visa card for renewing my contract,I mainly took it because it was time to empty my septic tank. so verizon only makes good offers when your contracts up.

Oh yes they do! :grin:  I am getting calls about discounts already and my 2-year commitment with Verizon doesn't end until September 30. Of course there's no free Sunday Ticket from Verizon but then there are still no NFL teams in LA.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#137 OFFLINE   redhot

redhot

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

Customer since 1996, off contract since june this year. I called and said my bill is too much I need to reduce it. I got 15 months @ $15.00 off, 12 months @ $20.00 off, 5 months of Showtime and 6 months of Starz/ Encore. And a free Genie upgrade. I have the protection plan. 

Oh, I got to keep my grandfathered Total choice package. 

Edited by redhot, 17 August 2013 - 06:21 PM.

HR24-100.....Vizio 47" Apps
HR24-100.....Vizio 22" Apps
HR24-100.....Vizio 32"

#138 OFFLINE   lanfellas

lanfellas

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

I just called in and they reduced my bill by more than half with free Sunday Ticket (which I was already paying for. BIG WIN) and free hardware upgrade to Genie.  Now, I had to sign up for an additional 2 years for the hardware upgrade which I don't mind.  I now have ALL of the premium channels free fo the next 2 or 4 months plus free Sunday ticket and my bill is more than half off.  They even offered me a better deal on my internet but they can only offer U-Verse in my area and U-Verse sucks in my area.

I'm glad I called!!!

#139 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

why is it these threads always devolve into discussions about who's right and wrong?  the topic is pretty clear, right?  can we just post the details of the call and include your programming pkg & how long you've been with directv too.  deals vary a lot by pkg.  ever since we went with the select classic pkg (which for us is well worth it), i've been told many times that discounts are limited.  of course we've been invited to move up to a better pkg each time i call. 

30 min call

select classic pkg

$80, instant credit

$120, $10/mo dvr fee waiver for 1 year

$15, $5/3 mos for auto billing (which we were on already)

$78 value, starz/encore pkg free for 6 mos

• Bryan_J_T likes this

#140 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,363 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

why is it these threads always devolve into discussions about who's right and wrong?  

and who said otherwise?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...