Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

how many tv can you connect to 1 lnb

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   albertldee

albertldee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • Locationfl

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

i Have a friend that originally bought a directv basic box about 2 years ago and have someone install a dish on the 3story roof the roof is hard to access plus dont want to bother the land lord who live upstairs and he wanted to add another basic box to a 2nd tv is it possible to just put a splitter and add the second box we trying everything possible to avoid going on the roof again all he has is a single rg6 from the roof to the living room box in the basement

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

No, that is not a good idea. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Press and hold the Info button for 3 or 4 seconds.

The system Info will come to the screen.

Choose More Info and press select.

Press Channel Down 1 time. The dish type is on that page.

Mine says Dish Type: Slimline-3S ( SWM )

What does yours say ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   albertldee

albertldee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • Locationfl

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

mine say dish type round (18') i have 3 box 2 wire from lnb to splitter

his say round type (18")

Edited by albertldee, 13 July 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

You need a dedicated line from the dish/multiswitch

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   albertldee

albertldee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • Locationfl

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

You need a dedicated line from the dish/multiswitch

so the line i have there now is not a dedicated line only difference i notice from outside is mine has 2 wire from lnb to a splitter

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

If what you have written is all correct, you probably have an old 18" round dish with dual outputs.  YOu need a dedicated run to each SD receiver, or 2 to each SD dvr.  To increase the number of outputs you would need to add a multi-switch.  They used to sell or still sell 2x4 or 3x4, or larger multiswitches meant to be used with your terribly outdated setup.  The 2 outputs from the dish are connected to the appropriate multi-switch, then you run lines from that multi-switch to every location you want a directv receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   albertldee

albertldee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • Locationfl

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

If what you have written is all correct, you probably have an old 18" round dish with dual outputs.  YOu need a dedicated run to each SD receiver, or 2 to each SD dvr.  To increase the number of outputs you would need to add a multi-switch.  They used to sell or still sell 2x4 or 3x4, or larger multiswitches meant to be used with your terribly outdated setup.  The 2 outputs from the dish are connected to the appropriate multi-switch, then you run lines from that multi-switch to every location you want a directv receiver.

ok let me get this correct my friend  have 1 line coming from the dish to the receiver all i need to do is removed that wire and add a 2x4 or 3x4 or multiswitches and then from there to each receiver is that correct

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

ok let me get this correct my friend  have 1 line coming from the dish to the receiver all i need to do is removed that wire and add a 2x4 or 3x4 or multiswitches and then from there to each receiver is that correct

No;

In spite of the hassle unfortunately you're going have to get up to the dish and run an additional line from the LNB, through the support arm and down to the multi-switch (be careful not to move the dish). A multi-switch requires at least two inputs for both the even and odd transponder sets (18v and 13v respectively).

NOTE: Given the age this setup sounds like, you may even have a single output 101 LNB on the dish. In that case you are going to have to purchase a duel output one. But don't worry they're very cheap nowadays.    

Attached Files

Edited by HoTat2, 14 July 2013 - 01:15 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

If your friend has a single output lnb, then his dish will need to be replaced or at least a dual output lnb will need to be installed before you can install a multiswitch.  Why doesnt your friend just call and let Directv take care of it?  Between the 2 of you neither seem like installation experts and that way it will done correctly.  I see above where i confused your setup and your friends setup.

#11 OFFLINE   albertldee

albertldee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • Locationfl

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

No;

In spite of the hassle unfortunately you're going have to get up to the dish and run an additional line from the LNB, through the support arm and down to the multi-switch (be careful not to move the dish). A multi-switch requires at least two inputs for both the even and odd transponder sets (18v and 13v respectively).

NOTE: Given the age this setup sounds like, you may even have a single output 101 LNB on the dish. In that case you are going to have to purchase a duel output one. But don't worry they're very cheap nowadays.    

thanks now i understand i need to run a second wire for my friend if he has a dual lnb, strange my new installation was done a few days ago by directv and sound like you guys saying they gave me a old system

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

thanks now i understand i need to run a second wire for my friend if he has a dual lnb, strange my new installation was done a few days ago by directv and sound like you guys saying they gave me a old system

if DirecTV did the installation say up to 8 years ago, then you have a dual LNB

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

18" round dish is very rarely installed anymore, in fact I didnt think they were installed at all.  My original insall back in 1997 was an 18" round dish.  I thought today that even all Standard Def installs were done with the 3 or 5LNB Slimline.  A single wire coming from the dish is common these days even with the brand new installs as the technology has changed and the new dishes only require a single wire in from the dish into an approved splitter, where as the old days a single wire in from the 18" dish many times meant you would need to change to a dual output LNB to use an approved multiswitch which is different than a splitter

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Oh, my apologies;

I thought your friend had a separate older installation different from yours that you are trying to help upgrade for a second receiver.

OK, here's the deal then, if DIRECTV recently installed this you need to call them back to run the additional line from the dish since for a standard 101 dish install the tech. is supposed to run two lines from the dish to an accessible ground block somewhere as indicated in the attached document above even if only one of the lines are to be used at the time.

You may have to add the additional coax and multi-switch from the ground block to accommodate your friend's receiver or pay DIRECTV to do it for you. But the tech. should at least do the hard part of climbing up to the dish and running another line from dish to ground block for free since he should have done that to begin with.   

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

18" round dish is very rarely installed anymore, in fact I didnt think they were installed at all. 

while that are not install as much as before, they are in fact still being install every day.  

• ZandarKoad likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

18" round dish is very rarely installed anymore, in fact I didnt think they were installed at all.  My original insall back in 1997 was an 18" round dish.  I thought today that even all Standard Def installs were done with the 3 or 5LNB Slimline.  A single wire coming from the dish is common these days even with the brand new installs as the technology has changed and the new dishes only require a single wire in from the dish into an approved splitter, where as the old days a single wire in from the 18" dish many times meant you would need to change to a dual output LNB to use an approved multiswitch which is different than a splitter

That's probably one of the drawbacks of operating in both the Ka and Ku bands;

Can't have a "one shoe fits all" dish ODU which balances well between cost and aesthetics as there are likely many subs. who still prefer the small inconspicuous features of the old round 18" dish or the slightly larger 18" x 20" Phase III triple sat one as opposed to the much larger Slimline.

Thus Dish Network has an advantage here with their moderate sized Dish 1000.x now used for all new installs whether SD or HD subs. and are able to phase out their popular Dish 500.

Whereas DIRECTV still needs three dish varieties of the standard Phase I round, Phase III triple sat oval, and Slimline ODUs.

Note: I'm not including International subs. where both services require separate dishes (though for DN they are smaller and only needed for two arc installs.       

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

while that are not install as much as before, they are in fact still being install every day.  

Who are the luddites getting new installs of SD service? C'mon, this 2013!  :righton:   DO they really still install the Phase III?  you would think if some install required either 110, or 119, they would install the 5LNB slim.  At least that way you are down to 2 dishs and 2 reflector choices for the slimline, not counting the international installs.

#18 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

Who are the luddites getting new installs of SD service? C'mon, this 2013!  :righton:   DO they really still install the Phase III?  you would think if some install required either 110, or 119, they would install the 5LNB slim.  At least that way you are down to 2 dishs and 2 reflector choices for the slimline, not counting the international installs.

I still carry Flat Line Splitters, RF Modulators, 18", 18x20, KA/KU(in all of its manifestations) international and Excede on my truck.

All the switches.

Life......sigh.

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

well not everybody has it "made"  But I agree, DirecTV should kill the other 2 dishes and go SWM every where.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

well not everybody has it "made"  But I agree, DirecTV should kill the other 2 dishes and go SWM every where.

But will the loss to the aesthetic of having a really small unobtrusive dish which has been a major selling point of DBS service since its inception be a turn off to many potential customers by limiting the selection to only the much larger (comparatively speaking) Slimlines? 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...