Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Single-tv user off contract; how to lower monthly bill?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PolkSDA

PolkSDA

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

I've been off contract since January. I have one HD-DVR. That is the only receiver in the house. I subscribe to "Choice Extra Classic" (grandfathered), with no premium channels.

Charges:

Choice Xtra Classic: $71.99

HD Monthly: $10.00

DVR Monthly: $10.00

Primary TV: $6.00

Credits:

Primary TV Free: -6.00

Adv. Rec. DVR. Free: -10.00

Free HD with Automatic Bill Pay: -10.00

Net: $71.99

For a single-TV environment with no premiums, it's just too damned much. I don't want extra channels. I don't want (or need) to upgrade my equipment.

I've called in trying to get loyalty discounts, even dealing with retentions, and they absolutely will not offer any additional discounts.

As much as I abhor changing providers (or dropping TV entirely), I feel that's my only alternative, or just live with $70+ per month which I feel is too expensive.

Any suggestions for approaches to try?

• supermod38 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 727 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Chances are (I am almost 100% positive) your Free HD requires Choice Xtra Classic (You may be able to downgrade to Xtra and save $1) so if you drop your programming to Choice you're going to end up paying $74.99 ($64.99+$10 for HD)

Your free DVR is already an additional discount.

You could drop to Entertainment, which would lose your Free HD. With that your price would drop down to $64.99 ($54.99 for Entertainment plus $10 for HD). So there's that.

But there aren't any "approaches" to try. From what you have told me I am almost certain that there are not any discounts they can even apply if they wanted to.

Edited by JBv, 13 July 2013 - 12:45 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#3 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 178 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

or just live with $70+ per month which I feel is too expensive.

While you may feel thats too expensive for you its under the typical going rate.... Look at it now your getting over 20% off and complaining. In my area both TWC and Cox basic cable packages (the first 100 channels, no box) cost between $60-$65/month. Your complaining that you pay about $10 more than that get 2-3X's the amount of channels and an HDDVR that has way more recording capacity than a typical cable HDDVR.

If you were complaining about paying the full price of $92 I could understand that being high for you... but $72 is a good rate and if you can't handle the price or justify it cut it all together. Don't complain that they won't give you another discount when your already getting 20% off ...

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,888 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Entertainment is really about as low as you could go. Are there even cheaper plans? Yes, there are unadvertised ones, but it's very likely those are missing multiple channels you would want.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

Your only options are to drop to a cheaper package, and you will most likely lose your HD credit.  As far as monthyl tv costs go today, you're pretty low for what you get already.  The deciding facotr should be do the lower packages have the channel you want to watch?  With a forum nickname like PolkSDA(I had some back in the day), you'd think that $70ish a month would be nothing as they were not inexpensive at all.  Frankly, if I was only paying $70 I'd be extremely happy, as I pay about $150.  But I dont have a problem with it because that is the package and equipment that I choose to have.

#6 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Call your local cable co or Dish, Uverse etc and get there price. Then call Directv to cancel service. When they ask why tell them the price you can get from a differnt service and see what they can do. If they cant do anything change service, its that or use what we did whan I was a kid an antenna they work for free.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,341 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

While you may feel thats too expensive for you its under the typical going rate.... Look at it now your getting over 20% off and complaining. In my area both TWC and Cox basic cable packages (the first 100 channels, no box) cost between $60-$65/month. Your complaining that you pay about $10 more than that get 2-3X's the amount of channels and an HDDVR that has way more recording capacity than a typical cable HDDVR.

If you were complaining about paying the full price of $92 I could understand that being high for you... but $72 is a good rate and if you can't handle the price or justify it cut it all together. Don't complain that they won't give you another discount when your already getting 20% off ...

Right on!  Last time I checked, DirecTV is not a "non-profit" organization.  If it is out of your budget, cut all together and go the "online" route

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall