Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: The Wireless Genie Client C41W-100 & Wireless Video Bridge

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 512 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Also I have been told they will drop ship the client and WVB for an existing genie customer. Unsure about shipping cost though.

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Ultimate Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

I had to delay my install by 2 days due to work conflicts.  So here is my brief review (will post again once I rewire).

1.  The installer has never installed one by his own before and was just trained the day before.  He seemed very confused on whether or not the wireless video bridge can be used as a pass through or not.  He called his boss and his boss recommended he add a splitter before the WVB instead of using it as a pass-thru.  Unless the pass-thru isnt currently working, this was the dumbest setup I have ever seen.  Basically an already split SWM is split again inside the house before the main Genie just so he could put in the WVB.   I will rewire tonight and hopefully pass-thru works.

2.  Seems to be more stable so far than my WCCK C41 wireless solution.  The guide lags compared to the regular genie, but that is expected.

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#183 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,166 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

I had to delay my install by 2 days due to work conflicts.  So here is my brief review (will post again once I rewire).

1.  The installer has never installed one by his own before and was just trained the day before.  He seemed very confused on whether or not the wireless video bridge can be used as a pass through or not.  He called his boss and his boss recommended he add a splitter before the WVB instead of using it as a pass-thru.  Unless the pass-thru isnt currently working, this was the dumbest setup I have ever seen.  Basically an already split SWM is split again inside the house before the main Genie just so he could put in the WVB.   I will rewire tonight and hopefully pass-thru works. ...

Nah, they're misinformed.

Of course the WVB has pass through capability, otherwise it wouldn't be constructed with an output F connector with an "optional" screw-on terminating cap on a chain that way. 

You can take that splitter nonsense off and connect it in-line. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#184 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

Nah, they're misinformed.

Of course the WVB has pass through capability, otherwise it wouldn't be constructed with an output F connector with an "optional" screw-on terminating cap on a chain that way. 

You can take that splitter nonsense off and connect it in-line. 

I know it works.  But I wonder what has more loss.  a 2 way has a 3.5 db loss.  so if the WVB has anything greater, then it wold make sense to have the 2 way in place

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#185 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,166 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

I know it works.  But I wonder what has more loss.  a 2 way has a 3.5 db loss.  so if the WVB has anything greater, then it wold make sense to have the 2 way in place

Assuming though that the WVB uses the same type of pass-through method the CCK-W does which was found to actually be an internal two-way splitter. With one output feeding the internal circuits of the device and the other the output F connector.

So if you use the WVB in a single ended configuration through an external splitter that way, it would amount to approximately double the signal loss than the pass-through option.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#186 OFFLINE   LoweBoy

LoweBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

Any timeline on when this will be available from 3rd party vendors?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
LoweBoy
1 HR34-700 -- Pioneer VSX-1021 -- Samsung 55" B8k
1 HR24-500 -- Samsung 46" C8k
1 HR20-100 -- Vizio 32"
1 H25-700-- Vizio 32"
1 H25-500-- Samsung 40"

nomad & MRV all self installed
iPads & iPhones & AppleTV

#187 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,916 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

Any timeline on when this will be available from 3rd party vendors?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Not yet but when it is you'll hear it here. :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#188 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

Thanks;

Looks like they are charging separately for the C41W and WVB.

Going to be expensive then without discounts ... :nono:    

My mom got U-Verse installed at he house recently. Turns out AT&T charges extra for their wireless receivers too, so, it's not outside of what everyone else in the industry is doing.

#189 OFFLINE   kram82

kram82

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

Hi all - Sold our house rather quickly and moving into a rental for the time being.  Landlord is fine with a dish being installed outside the house but is not really keen on drilling holes in the interior walls in some of the rooms where there are no existing coax jacks.  My first call to customer service was great.  The individual indicated I am eligible for an upgrade of all my equipment (I didn't think it was that old... genie HR-34 and 3 H25's).  I would just need to call the mover's connection line and tell them we are moving and wanted to upgrade our H25's to C41w's.  I did this and the mover's connection individual was very nice but told me that the C41w is not available yet.  I told her that the previous C.S. person indicated that it shouldn't be an issue.  I was polite and didn't want to agitate her so I asked what my options were and she told me that she would transfer me to the cancellation department.  I really don't want to do that.  I know that the rolling trucks might not have c41w's yet... but I was really hoping they could ship them to me in advance since I already have the HR-34 up and running.  Any idea if there is a better way of trying to keep directv rather than switching providers?  I am just looking for insight on the possibility of getting in touch with someone who might be able to ship the devices to me or would be willing to understand my plight.

Thank you!

#190 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:49 AM

If you live in a "test" area the cs agents can setup an install. If you aren't, there is nothing you can do. I am surprised how long it is taking for the c41w to become widely available. After I figured out my wifi issue it has been working flawlessly for me.

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#191 OFFLINE   kram82

kram82

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Well that just stinks.  Maybe I can do some crazy wifi RVU setup with my Samsungs.  Ugh.

#192 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Using a wireless deca wcck worked alright for me.

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#193 OFFLINE   Dingus2Much

Dingus2Much

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

Well...I guess DirecTV decides, again, to delay.

#194 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

If you live in a "test" area the cs agents can setup an install. If you aren't, there is nothing you can do. I am surprised how long it is taking for the c41w to become widely available. After I figured out my wifi issue it has been working flawlessly for me.

Well I am not that surprised at all....  There are still too many bugs...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#195 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

About 2 weeks ago I had the c41w lose total connection to the bridge. I reset the hr44, bridge, and c41w and that still didn't work. I had to go to the hr44 and remove the bridge in its menu and then re-add it. Then the c41w found the bridge again And updated its firmware. Very strange and still not ready for prime time.

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#196 OFFLINE   cwpomeroy

cwpomeroy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Looks like this is still only available in limited areas... any idea when this will roll out nation wide?  I assume this comes with another monthly fee?

#197 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Looks like this is still only available in limited areas... any idea when this will roll out nation wide?  I assume this comes with another monthly fee?

I've heard a rumor of middle of this month for general rollout, again just a rumor. And yes there is a monthly charge for each client, just like the wired clients.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#198 OFFLINE   APorter

APorter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

This is exactly what I need.  My wife wants to wall mount the tv on the wall opposite where the cable comes into the room.  I spent some time in the attic and there's no good way to move the cable as the wall she wants it on is an interior wall that doesn't extend all the way up the ceiling due to vaulted ceiling with a ledge above the wall. 

My Set-up:
Slimline Swm
Family Room: HR44-500 - Samsung LN52A630
Master Bedroom: C41-700 - Samsung UN40EH5300FXZA

Media/Bar Room: C41-700 - Epson 8100 102" screen 
Kids Room: H25-700

#199 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 404 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Since it operates at 5GHz, would a 5.8GHz cordless phone cause any problems?

#200 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

I wouldn't think so. In fact my home phone is 5.8GHz and I've never seen a problem with the C41W. Not that I get a lot of phone calls but still you'd think I'd notice.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...