Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: The Wireless Genie Client C41W-100 & Wireless Video Bridge

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Solidsignals video is back up again. Take a look.

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Great job on the first look.

It looks like the WVB needs one coax feed from the SWM. If I've got a SWM 16, does it have to come off on the same leg as the Genie?

It can be on any line from the SWIM16.  You can even use a green label splitter on an existing line if you don't have any available ports.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,944 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

It can be on any line from the SWIM16.  You can even use a green label splitter on an existing line if you don't have any available ports.

you dont need a splitter as the WVB as a pass through 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

Now I have a Question.

That mean you have to have a separate wireless Bridge /router for Every C41W?

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,892 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Nope.

That will be determined by how far away from each unit the bridge is and signal issues. For most setups, only one would likely be needed. But if you live in a Mansion and have two on opposite ends of the property or something, then a second may be needed.

Wireless will be a little tricky in this aspect.

#26 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

It might make more sense for some to Ethernet cable it to the LAN; I'm assuming that is what the RJ45 jack on the WVB is for.

Another site says that each bridge supports up to five clients (probably not simultaneously) and multiple bridges are supported for larger estates.

Edited by harsh, 18 July 2013 - 03:30 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#27 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

It might make more sense for some to Ethernet cable it to the LAN; I'm assuming that is what the RJ45 jack on the WVB is for.

Another site says that each bridge supports up to five clients (probably not simultaneously) and multiple bridges are supported for larger estates.

The video mentions that the jack may be for future use. 

#28 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,944 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

in this case I see no difference between using one or the other

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#29 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Nope.

That will be determined by how far away from each unit the bridge is and signal issues. For most setups, only one would likely be needed. But if you live in a Mansion and have two on opposite ends of the property or something, then a second may be needed.

Wireless will be a little tricky in this aspect.

My house is 65 x 40 and 3 full floors . Not including the basement!

Something tells me I'll stick with the Wired Coax with a CCK.

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#30 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,892 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

I see no reason to think that Directv will EVER tell techs to use Ethernet to connect it rather than run a coax to it as expected in general.  There is zero benefit to doing it that way and taking part of the mrv out of the deca network and putting it on a customers network creating what often would be a hybrid system.  In fact, you then force the customer to have a working router at all times, where as you don't need a router to work with MRV currently.  Your theory is a failed one, as you offer not one reasoning for it, and there isn't one when looking at it logically.  

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,892 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

My house is 65 x 40 and 3 full floors . Not including the basement!

Something tells me I'll stick with the Wired Coax with a CCK.

Well, I do believe that this is for people who have a difficult situation and where running a coax is not really possible.  A tv out in the pool house might be a prime example of when someone may want wifi system over a wired.  I'd say use wired first, but if not possible, wireless does work great in many situations.

#32 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

So this is to take on the Uverse wireless receiver they have been advertising non-stop. "Take it outside, Take it to the Basement etc."  It's a great idea with the growth of people putting TVs outside and trying to add them in other rooms.  I really like the idea of being able to have fewer boxes in total per month I pay for but that I can move easily depending on the season or if I have family/friends visiting that need a TV in another room. 

Great first look!

#33 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

Dang! That means I'll need ten of 'em; two for each estate......

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#34 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,419 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Nice, I can see a lot of great uses for this puppy!

Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#35 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,237 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

I would like to thank everyone that helped put the First Look together.  I seem to get the credit but there is a very large group here that all contributes to these.  Oh, and I can't forget the person that hangs back in The Shadow, who is there whenever I might need some help.  ;)

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#36 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,141 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

you dont need a splitter as the WVB as a pass through 

Indeed you don't. That's how mine is connected. Works very well that way. 

In my case, which is probably close to the notional "average" WVB-type setup, the wireless client is about 25' linear feet from the the WVB and through a flat panel LCD TV  and one interior wall. Works as well as the C41 I had there previously; you'd never know it was a wireless once the setup is complete.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#37 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

So I see that this bridge creates its own 5 GHz 802.11n network. Can you see and join this network from other 802.11n devices? Is it 40 MHz 300mbps N or 20 MHz 144mbps N channels?

When on the network, does the wireless bridge itself get its own IP address from your router, or is it completely transparent? If it gets its own IP, is there a web GUI configuration page on the wireless bridge? Just seeing if there's any settings to use it as an access point as well.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#38 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,892 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

It does everything automatically, and is not meant to be used as a access point for anything else.  It will show if you scan for wireless, but its locked up and has a password that's set automatically, you do nothing to make that happen. Do not expect to use it as an access point in any way.  If you mess with its settings, you'd likely break the clients ability to see it properly and connect with it.

#39 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

The Video Bridge is a set it and forget it device, and really can't be reconfigured for any other purpose. Although it is based on Cisco technology, it runs custom firmware.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#40 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

I see no reason to think that Directv will EVER tell techs to use Ethernet to connect it rather than run a coax to it as expected in general.  There is zero benefit to doing it that way and taking part of the mrv out of the deca network and putting it on a customers network creating what often would be a hybrid system.

DIRECTV has very specific needs. The installation licensing requirements unfortunately force alternatives (including using a CCK with a Genie where a direct Ethernet connection is more straightforward).

In fact, you then force the customer to have a working router at all times, where as you don't need a router to work with MRV currently.

There isn't anything about putting WHDS on Ethernet that demands a router. It is DIRECTV's own "Internet Connected" policy that demands a functioning router. DIRECTV's devices to date have all employed the APIPA methodology of self-assigning IP addresses and that's not unique to DECA or WDECA.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...