Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: The Wireless Genie Client C41W-100 & Wireless Video Bridge

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,031 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

If you expect a customer to run the system through their own home network, then you are saying you expect them to have a working router.  

Unless you are suggesting that directv would run Ethernet cable instead of coax, in which case, well, how do I say it without making you sound like you have no clue what your talking about, but, uh, no, that will never happen as we ALL know, Directv NEVER runs Ethernet cables.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

Maybe with OTT programming directv might run Ethernet....but that's way down the road.

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#43 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

and since the Ethernet port is disabled I see no way to get to its GUI

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#44 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Coax is so much easier to terminate. Spin the thing around and strip it and pop the fitting on and use the tool. Cat 5e, what a pain... Untwist all 8 wires, line them up in the right order, cut them to length, carefully put the end on making sure each wire goes though the right channel, then crimp it.

I wish gigabit Ethernet ran on coax and switches were all coax!

Anyway the wireless bridge prolly doesn't get an IP address at all then I guess from what your all saying, I guess it's like a transparent bridge. I thought maybe it would get an IP off the DECA network but I don't really see why it would need one... It's not doing any routing.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#45 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Saw some great pics and specs today..this thread more than confirms it. Hooray and kudos to D* for over-delivering. Let's hope the C41W is as much of a hit as the HR44. This will definitely help in several situations:

1. RG59 homes with multiple drops

2. Finished basements with sealed walls.

3. External locations (mentioned in previous posts)

PS: I've heard the U* wireless receivers don't live up to the hype.

-=K=-

#46 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

Heh. Well, almost definitionally, nothing lives up to hype.... :)

Moreover, their ads, once amusing, have become tiresome. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#47 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

Let me say, this really blows away the U-Verse product. The U-Verse product really has latency issues and the range is far more limited than they suggest. This product is just as responsive as any other Genie Client, believe me I was surprised at that too. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#48 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

I think some of the issue with the ATT product may be that they install one end of the bridge directly next to the router (even though you could put it anywhere that is has wiring but doesnt have a box).  Being that Directv installers will have more options of where to put the WVB will be a better solution.

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#49 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

Can the WVB be hung off coax? And/or ethernet? 

And I am shocked, shocked! I tell you, shocked! —ATT's ads are a tad misleading???

:)

#50 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,860 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

The WVB is connected to the coax in the home.

#51 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Can the WVB be hung off coax? And/or ethernet?

And I am shocked, shocked! I tell you, shocked! —ATT's ads are a tad misleading???

:)

The WVB is connected to coax only. It is a DECA device that uses Wi-Fi to connect the C41W to the DECA network. For now that’s its only function.

The Ethernet port is not currently in use.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#52 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,571 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

If you expect a customer to run the system through their own home network, then you are saying you expect them to have a working router.

What part of LANs not requiring a router do you not comprehend? LANs get along just fine without a router. It is only when you decide that you want to easily connect your LAN to the Internet that a router may be needed. Switches (or hubs if you have no self respect) are mandatory for an Ethernet LAN but routers are not.

A router should NOT be considered a bad thing and if you'll recall, DIRECTV can't connect their devices to the Internet (as they are very determined to do) without one.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#53 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

The WVB is connected to coax only. It is a DECA device that uses Wi-Fi to connect the C41W to the DECA network. For now that’s its only function.

The Ethernet port is not currently in use.

Mike

Thanks Mike and N4. Yes, quite aware of the function, but wondered what the hookup options were. Ethernet could work if they wanted it to, no? (And I can surmise reasons why coax is the preferred method.)

#54 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,052 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

What part of LANs not requiring a router do you not comprehend? LANs get along just fine without a router. It is only when you decide that you want to easily connect your LAN to the Internet that a router may be needed. Switches (or hubs if you have no self respect) are mandatory for an Ethernet LAN but routers are not.

A router should NOT be considered a bad thing and if you'll recall, DIRECTV can't connect their devices to the Internet (as they are very determined to do) without one.

And what part of anything you wrote above has anything to do whatsoever with the C41W and its Wireless Video Bridge hardware? Here's a hint: nothing. Just like your personal knowledge of anything Directv-related. You just post to see your own words in print, correct?

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#55 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Yet again another dbstalk forum post devolves into trash talking.  I wish this site had Reddit style upvotes/downvotes to silence some of the noise.

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#56 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

To Scott and all the known and (unknown participants) that tested this new Client.  Thanks for the review and write-up along with the pictures.  I know this will work well for me during football season. We have cookouts and we live in a salt water environment so we do not leave anything outside, so I use about 75 feet of coax which somebody is always kicking it or tripping over it or something. Then we take it back inside after the game, unplugging the coax and rolling it back up.  Get a few rain shower's and I am screwing in & out coax several times during a game. I can see just using a cart and rolling it out connecting power and "Its GAME on"!  I look forward to getting one of these Clients when they are released.     

#57 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,052 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

I look forward to getting one of these Clients when they are released.     

This will likely be an ideal situation for you. When you get one, just be sure to install the WVB on a coax line nearest your outdoor viewing area with minimal obstructions. I don't think 75' of mostly clear air will be a problem by itself, but if you have an exterior wall plus one or two interior walls, it might be. 

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#58 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Indeed, Game On!! Send pictures! Maybe you can star in a DIRECTV® ad.... :)

#59 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,702 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

The LAN port can be switched on using a Coax connection to get into setup. The coax interface will then be lost once the new port assign goes into effect. It is either/or and works quite well on "Ethernet" (given the "E" in DECA is Ethernet). Doubt one could ever get one professionaly installed in this fashion however and for all practical reasons there would be extremely few reasons why one would need to but, the flexibility and functionality is there. And of course it would not be a supported configuration.

They did it right!

Don "I would strongly advise against setting up using this unsupported method" Bolton

Thanks Mike and N4. Yes, quite aware of the function, but wondered what the hookup options were. Ethernet could work if they wanted it to, no? (And I can surmise reasons why coax is the preferred method.)

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#60 OFFLINE   nike5580

nike5580

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, New Hampshire

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Is anyone else seeing the C41W on their account under add/upgrade receivers?  I just noticed it that as I was checking over my account.

spam firewall