Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: The Wireless Genie Client C41W-100 & Wireless Video Bridge

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,994 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Can the WVB be hung off coax? And/or ethernet?

And I am shocked, shocked! I tell you, shocked! —ATT's ads are a tad misleading???

:)

The WVB is connected to coax only. It is a DECA device that uses Wi-Fi to connect the C41W to the DECA network. For now that’s its only function.

The Ethernet port is not currently in use.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,788 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

If you expect a customer to run the system through their own home network, then you are saying you expect them to have a working router.

What part of LANs not requiring a router do you not comprehend? LANs get along just fine without a router. It is only when you decide that you want to easily connect your LAN to the Internet that a router may be needed. Switches (or hubs if you have no self respect) are mandatory for an Ethernet LAN but routers are not.

A router should NOT be considered a bad thing and if you'll recall, DIRECTV can't connect their devices to the Internet (as they are very determined to do) without one.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#53 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,900 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

The WVB is connected to coax only. It is a DECA device that uses Wi-Fi to connect the C41W to the DECA network. For now that’s its only function.

The Ethernet port is not currently in use.

Mike

Thanks Mike and N4. Yes, quite aware of the function, but wondered what the hookup options were. Ethernet could work if they wanted it to, no? (And I can surmise reasons why coax is the preferred method.)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#54 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

What part of LANs not requiring a router do you not comprehend? LANs get along just fine without a router. It is only when you decide that you want to easily connect your LAN to the Internet that a router may be needed. Switches (or hubs if you have no self respect) are mandatory for an Ethernet LAN but routers are not.

A router should NOT be considered a bad thing and if you'll recall, DIRECTV can't connect their devices to the Internet (as they are very determined to do) without one.

And what part of anything you wrote above has anything to do whatsoever with the C41W and its Wireless Video Bridge hardware? Here's a hint: nothing. Just like your personal knowledge of anything Directv-related. You just post to see your own words in print, correct?

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#55 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Yet again another dbstalk forum post devolves into trash talking.  I wish this site had Reddit style upvotes/downvotes to silence some of the noise.

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#56 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

To Scott and all the known and (unknown participants) that tested this new Client.  Thanks for the review and write-up along with the pictures.  I know this will work well for me during football season. We have cookouts and we live in a salt water environment so we do not leave anything outside, so I use about 75 feet of coax which somebody is always kicking it or tripping over it or something. Then we take it back inside after the game, unplugging the coax and rolling it back up.  Get a few rain shower's and I am screwing in & out coax several times during a game. I can see just using a cart and rolling it out connecting power and "Its GAME on"!  I look forward to getting one of these Clients when they are released.     

#57 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

I look forward to getting one of these Clients when they are released.     

This will likely be an ideal situation for you. When you get one, just be sure to install the WVB on a coax line nearest your outdoor viewing area with minimal obstructions. I don't think 75' of mostly clear air will be a problem by itself, but if you have an exterior wall plus one or two interior walls, it might be. 

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#58 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Indeed, Game On!! Send pictures! Maybe you can star in a DIRECTV® ad.... :)

#59 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,965 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

The LAN port can be switched on using a Coax connection to get into setup. The coax interface will then be lost once the new port assign goes into effect. It is either/or and works quite well on "Ethernet" (given the "E" in DECA is Ethernet). Doubt one could ever get one professionaly installed in this fashion however and for all practical reasons there would be extremely few reasons why one would need to but, the flexibility and functionality is there. And of course it would not be a supported configuration.

They did it right!

Don "I would strongly advise against setting up using this unsupported method" Bolton

Thanks Mike and N4. Yes, quite aware of the function, but wondered what the hookup options were. Ethernet could work if they wanted it to, no? (And I can surmise reasons why coax is the preferred method.)

Go fast, turn left, repeat until done.

#60 OFFLINE   nike5580

nike5580

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, New Hampshire

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Is anyone else seeing the C41W on their account under add/upgrade receivers?  I just noticed it that as I was checking over my account.

#61 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,847 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Is anyone else seeing the C41W on their account under add/upgrade receivers?  I just noticed it that as I was checking over my account.

Yep

Attached Thumbnails

• My_Equipment.jpeg

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#62 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,847 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

If I click on the "add receiver" link, I get "please call 1-800-531-5000 to add this receiver"  I can however add other receivers.  Interesting!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#63 OFFLINE   nike5580

nike5580

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, New Hampshire

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

If I click on the "add receiver" link, I get "please call 1-800-531-5000 to add this receiver"  I can however add other receivers.  Interesting!

I get the same thing. I figured it was because I do not have a genie, as I get the same message when I click on anything genie related.

#64 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,919 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

Outstanding review as always Scott.

Now we just need the 8 tuner Super Genie with built in video bridge. ;)

#65 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'm working on that now, and the best part is full IP control, playlist management for all receivers on it and the iPad, and it's the size of a pack of cigarettes (4 Terrabyte SSD). 

Who else is in on this one?

#66 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

So I see that this bridge creates its own 5 GHz 802.11n network. Can you see and join this network from other 802.11n devices? Is it 40 MHz 300mbps N or 20 MHz 144mbps N channels?

I didn't see anything saying it was 802.11n, only that it was 5GHz. That's an unlicensed band that could be used by various protocols. I would expect that DirecTV is not using 802.11 here but some other wireless interface not interoperable with WiFi. (Besides, it doesn't have to be n - if it was still WiFi it could be 802.11a or 802.11ac - but I doubt it is.)

Steve

My Setup

#67 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

Being that the wireless genie is on Directv's website for order, can anyone confirm that it will be available "very soon"
HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#68 OFFLINE   whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Great job Scott!! :)

#69 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

I didn't see anything saying it was 802.11n, only that it was 5GHz. 

It's a WPA-protected 802.11n 5GHz network. 

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#70 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,847 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Being that the wireless genie is on Directv's website for order, can anyone confirm that it will be available "very soon"

I think it is a mistake on DirecTV's part.  wont be surprised if is taken down soon

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#71 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,598 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Another great job, indeed!  

Steve

#72 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

More like why would someone even think of asking Directv to use an ethernet cable instead of coax if they wherent trying to eliviate some part of a run by using some of their exsisting system, which would generally speaking mean theyd have to tie into a network that has a router on it as thats what I am saying 99% of peopel have in their homes.  I doubt theres many people that would run a lan in their house without a router of any kind.  Are you saying otherwise?  Explain to me EXACTLY how you foresee people wanting to run Ethernet instead of coax to the WVB.  I meant the exact hookup. From what device to what device.  How do they turn that coaxx network into a lan network with what parts? You said you think peopel would want this, so I want to know what it is you invision.

It makes zero sense to me that anyone would even consider it if they where not already using some part of a current ethernet network in their home that of course would already have a router to do this.  Are you are saying someone would want to run a short coax to a bbdeca, and then an Ethernet cable to the wvb and not have it connected to their home network, instead of just running the coax all the way over to it? That makes ZERO sense as well.

#73 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 721 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

I've been waiting for this! Does anyone that was able to test these have any side by side comparisons as far as how much of a delay from the Genie.....I'm wanting to put a wall mounted TV behind my bar, which is about 30' from my main TV and hoping to mirror the main TV for football season. Would there be a horribly noticeable delay or is it pretty close? Thanks!

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#74 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,847 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

According to the video provided by SS, the response time is the same as having a regular wired C41
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#75 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

You will notice a difference.  This is because a genie can basically run live, while a client seems to grab the program via a buffer.

However, there might be a workaround.  Record the game, and then set both units to use the same remote, and then go tot he playlist and hit play.  Maybe they will both start at the exact same time, but I am not to sure.

Do you have any other clients in the house?  Whats your total system right now?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...