Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New York WPIX OTA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,403 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Anyone else having an issue with WPIX OTA? I'm about 20 miles NE of the ESB and my signal strength dropped to 25, but I'm seeing mid-90s on CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC. TIA.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yes616

Yes616

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Anyone else having an issue with WPIX OTA? I'm about 20 miles NE of the ESB and my signal strength dropped to 25, but I'm seeing mid-90s on CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC. TIA.

How is WNET?  For years I knew there were problems between 11 and 13 in NYC and the same channels in Scranton, PA.  I complained to the FCC a couple of years ago.

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,403 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

How is WNET?  For years I knew there were problems between 11 and 13 in NYC and the same channels in Scranton, PA.  I complained to the FCC a couple of years ago.

ABC and WNET were still watchable. As it turns out, I finally got in touch with someone in engineering at WPIX who explained to me that while ABC (VHF 7), NET (13) and PIX (11) were all on the same antenna, PIX transmitted at the lowest power. After checking a few things, the only conclusion I could come to was the recent heat wave here in NY created atmospheric conditions that exposed the fact the Winegard 8-bay antenna in my attic really wasn't suited to pick-up VHF-HI channels. I always knew that, but I already had the antenna and it worked well enough... up to now. When those signals got attenuated last week, I lost the weakest one first, which was PIX.

I was able to solve the problem by buying the proper antenna for my distance and mix of VHF/UHF channels. I ordered a Winegard 7694P from Solid Signal, and it's working like a charm. Except for WWOR, all my signals are now mid-80s to 100, with the VHF channels now in the mid-90s to 100.

/steve

spam firewall