Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So is there extra time added to PTAT programming

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

I don't have a Hopper, but from what I understand PTAT records the local transponder block during "prime time," which in the Mountain Time Zone would be 7 - 10 PM.

The problem is, at least here in Denver, most prime time network programming starts at 6:57 or 6:58 and ends around 10:02 - 10:03.

Does this mean PTAT in this market will cut off the beginning of 7 PM shows and the end of shows ending at 10 PM?

Edited by kucharsk, 15 July 2013 - 05:37 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

PTAT records from 6:57 to 10:01

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

My local (East Coast) primetime starts at 8PM, so I would expect PTAT to begin at 7:57. Last night (or was it the night before?) I would swear I saw in the status display that PTAT was starting at 7:27. Perhaps it sees that a show starts at 7:30 and continues into PT - so it adjusts the start time accordingly?

I admit that I may have hallucinated that. :-) I can't find any PTAT recordings that started at 7:30, but I delete most of them anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

I can't speak to last night... but I think in cases where a program starts prior to primetime the Hopper will go ahead and start "early" in that situation... Something like sports (wasn't the Home Run Derby on FOX last night?) might actually start a half hour before primetime and in that case the Hopper seems to start early to pick up that program.

Similarly, even if it normally would end at 11:01pm for the night... IF a program starts at 10:30 that runs for an hour, it will keep going until the last program ends too.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

While we're on this topic, what happens when the prime time block gets screwed up by earlier sports programming.  Example:  during football season I change our Good Wife weekly timer to run an extra 45 minutes.  Last fall it seemed like CBS football ran over schedule about 75% of the time even though they shifted prime time start times on days when they had a double header.  I don't see how PTAT could handle this any better than other receivers relying on the guide.

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

It really can't. If sporting events from 4PM run over and blow up the grid...there's nothing you can do.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

Yeah...  sports overruns blow up on the Hopper just like any other receiver.  I'm mostly fortunate on Sundays, though... because I don't watch whatever comes after Good Wife (The Mentalist I think?) so... up to an hour of overrun would be ok...  The problem is every once in a while when you have a game with an extended weather delay or something that runs REALLY late..

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall