Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Dumb Dumb Dumb billing people (Rant)

dish billing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   doverton

doverton

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

So, I am a very very long time dish subscriber (1996 to now), so as a long time subscriber I switched to "paperless" ages ago, and just charge my card thank you...

This is my month to get a new card!  yay, get to fill in those forms again.

So...

www.dish.com, login...

Find my CC info.

Big warning says

"Your credit card used for AutoPay is nearing its expiration date. Please update your AutoPay information by editing your Billing Preferences below."

Payment was due same day (10th) so I filled in the form, clicked "remember this one" and "paid" my usual automatic payment.

No I didn't...

My Card info was lost.  Today (the 15th) it still says I need to update my card, but they have my card info, as evidenced by the fact that they billed me twice!  Yes, my account was charged for the 'payment' I made and the usual monthly payment

Called them today.  The response was, "Please don't use that form if your payment date is within 7 days"

Question to operator:  Why isn't that mentioned on the webpage?  Why didn't it just reject the payment, or better, just update the card info?  "Thats not my department sir."

ARGH!!!  ARGH!!!  I know its not your department, but you can forward my concerns?  Maybe someone needs to know about it?  MAYBE someone else in the company cares

Oh, by the way, 5-7 days for the refund.

So proud.  So glad I have helped my friends all get dish...

Total spent at dish since 1996 = multiple thousands.  If not for hopper I would bail over this, its that annoying.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Humans make mistakes.  They make mistakes when they write things down.  They make mistakes when they copy things from one page to another.  They make mistakes when they design management chains.  They make mistakes in hiring or promoting the wrong people.  (Remember the adage: You rise to your level of incompetence.)  And yes, they make mistakes when they design systems.  When dealing with humans it is always important to ask two questions.  The first is, "Did they do this to me on purpose?"  If so, then you obviously need to reconsider the nature of your relationship.  The second is, "Did they do what it takes to make things right?"  If they did what they could, and it was still not to your satisfaction, then it becomes a judgment call as to whether they made a reasonable attempt to fix the mistake.  

Having been in low level positions where it was obvious to me that people further up the chain were making poor choices, I know it is a frustrating place to be.  Especially when those people up the chain can't see their mistakes or the impact it has on their customers.  But as customers, we can't fix the errors within an organization.  We can only evaluate our decision to stay in business with them.  

Given the horrors I have heard of billing problems with others (see DirecTV:BBB rating) this doesn't sound like a major problem.  Unless, of course, you've already maxed out your credit card or are paying 20%+ interest on your running balance.  And if that's the case, you need to cancel all your pay TV and high-speed Internet services immediately and give serious thought to reevaluating your personal finances.

#3 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Doverton, I feel your pain!  All it would take is a note at the beginning of the form to let you know that you needed to call to make your payment if you are that close to the deadline.  Those who use the form are supposed to somehow know that??

Anyway, welcome to dbstalk! :D

#4 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

So, I am a very very long time dish subscriber (1996 to now), so as a long time subscriber I switched to "paperless" ages ago, and just charge my card thank you...

This is my month to get a new card!  yay, get to fill in those forms again.

So...

www.dish.com, login...

Find my CC info.

Big warning says

"Your credit card used for AutoPay is nearing its expiration date. Please update your AutoPay information by editing your Billing Preferences below."

Payment was due same day (10th) so I filled in the form, clicked "remember this one" and "paid" my usual automatic payment.

No I didn't...

My Card info was lost.  Today (the 15th) it still says I need to update my card, but they have my card info, as evidenced by the fact that they billed me twice!  Yes, my account was charged for the 'payment' I made and the usual monthly payment

Called them today.  The response was, "Please don't use that form if your payment date is within 7 days"

Question to operator:  Why isn't that mentioned on the webpage?  Why didn't it just reject the payment, or better, just update the card info?  "Thats not my department sir."

ARGH!!!  ARGH!!!  I know its not your department, but you can forward my concerns?  Maybe someone needs to know about it?  MAYBE someone else in the company cares

Oh, by the way, 5-7 days for the refund.

So proud.  So glad I have helped my friends all get dish...

Total spent at dish since 1996 = multiple thousands.  If not for hopper I would bail over this, its that annoying.

I can understand how this can be frustrating and I am happy to assist you! I have forward your concerns about having notification “if the bill is due not to change it within 7 days”. If you have any further DISH questions please let me know and I am happy to help!

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

You must be impossible to live with. One mistake and a rant about being a loyal customer and now sorry you helped others get Dish? Jeesh.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,509 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

I do have to say...  since it looks like the thread starter has been a member here since 2004, and says he is a Dish subscriber since 1996...  IF this is the first/only problem he has had with Dish in all that time... the reaction to it does seem a little overboard.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Seems to be a lot of moralizing here not related to the OP complaint. His credit card limit, interest rate, etc is not anyone's business and has nothing to do with his complaint.

We should expect Dish and every business we do business with to process our payments correctly. Dish did not do this for the OP. Yes, mistakes are made, and yes, in the grand scheme of things, this is not a big issue. However, it is to the OP, and that is all that matters. I know I would be quite upset if Dish did this to me.

When we left Directv, I cancelled the debit card associated with my account? Why? I have read too many stories about Directv's inept handling of final charges. I didn't want them having access to my account so they could potentially overcharge me. Some of us live comfortable lives without a lot of extra money. Being over billed, doubled billed can cause real short term problems. If this is not where you are in life...good for you....but preachy moralizing doesn't help those whose economic position in life is different. Remember, one man's essential is another man's extravagance.

I said ll this to say...cut the guy some slack.

#8 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Not to moralize...................

I'm on a fixed income. I got rid of all but two credit cards.

My balance between them is maybe $600, It is only that high because I just bought two harmony remotes, Credit limit is $10,000 between them.

I also get nervous if my checking account balance falls under $1000 or goes over $2000.

I worked on getting the balances down and getting rid of the highest rate cards before I stopped working.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,509 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

For what it is worth...  I wasn't saying that someone shouldn't be mad if this happens.  I would be concerned and possibly mad depending upon how they handled it.

But... when the post starts out about being a subscriber since 1996 and apparently this is the first problem in 17+ years...  it seemed a little over the top to be reacting in the way that it came across.

#10 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

Sometime back [  Old Forum days] I posted my displeasure with the way Dish handles the CC exp. issue [ with autopay] . I had to go through the hoopla as well.

What realy bothered me was that I updated CC info with Ebay, Paypal and Amazon  by PHONE and all three were taken care of in under ten minutes with a pleasant thank you for addressing the update. No hiccups, no excuses. No worrying about overbilling or dropped orders. Customer service for those three took the info and updated it on the spot.

I thought Dish network was a large enough company to handle it the same way. I was wrong.

Original poster was upset, I get it. Dish should too.

It's not enough to bail over, however, because if direct is your alternate choice, their billing practices are nothing to write home about either!

chris

#11 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

I think that he has a right to be upset.  The customer service reps should have a way of noting people's concerns and forwarding them to people who can evaluate them.  Either this didn't exist, the CSR didn't know how to escalate complaints, or the CSR was lazy and didn't care.

At least, we have a way of bubbling complaints up via the DIRT staff.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#12 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

Not surprising that you can't get good service from DISH

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,509 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

Not surprising that you can't get good service from DISH

That has exactly zero to do with the problem in this thread.

#14 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

Dish can be good or bad but at least when you call dish the wait times are short, they are not perfect but always look at the alternatives before jumping, i have found that when I have changes it always pays to call, you can also find out about specials and offers that way too.

PS I was a member a long time go but could not remember my password and had abandoned the email account I had used when I signed up.

Edited by komondor, 09 August 2013 - 09:15 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dish, billing

spam firewall