Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Coming Back: New Structure for Fees

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jab5325

jab5325

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

After a hiatus, it looks like I'll be coming back to DirecTV soon. Last time I subscribed, there was a $10 HD fee and a $7 DVR fee for an HD-DVR (had an HR-23).

But now, I see the new customer offers have an "advanced receiver fee" that seems to cover both the HD and DVR.

I live in a small apartment, so I'll only have one receiver. Will a Genie do me any good? Do the advertised new customer offers include HD service or DVR service? I'll be coming back via AAA's discount rather than refer-a-friend, as it seems like that's the better deal. Is that really the case?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Well a Genie will cost the same (monthly) as an HDDVR, So I would go for it

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Fee's havent really changed, it's just all bundled into 1 fee now if you elect to have an HD DVR or Genie which in reality is little more than a 5-tuner HD DVR wrapped in a pretty bow.

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Welcome back.

Didn't I read here that new users even with only one DVR have to pay the Advance receiver fee which also includes MRV and there is no way to get out of that?

#5 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:05 AM

Welcome back.

Didn't I read here that new users even with only one DVR have to pay the Advance receiver fee which also includes MRV and there is no way to get out of that?

That's correct, one fee all the features wether you use them or not... Also for people that use just 1 TV genie is $99 upfront not free. My suggestion order a 2nd receiver and two days later deactivate it

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#6 OFFLINE   jab5325

jab5325

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

Interesting. When I just tried to checkout on DirecTV's website, it did not charge $99 for a Genie with a single-TV setup.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Interesting. When I just tried to checkout on DirecTV's website, it did not charge $99 for a Genie with a single-TV setup.

Yes, that was my thinking.  It would not make sense otherwise

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   jab5325

jab5325

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

I subsribed to DirecTV for 3+ years previously. What's the length of time, if any, that you would be considered a "new customer" again and get a new cusotmer offer? I still get periodic mailings for gift cards to come back, etc, but I've always just thrown them out without reading becuase I didn't think I'd come back.

#9 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

When you try to order online click on "Additional Offer Details" and you will see this in the middle of the fine print (notice its in bold): "Free upgrade offer requires a Genie HD DVR and at least one Genie Mini. $99 fee applies for single-room set-up."

However, yes when I went through the checkout process it didn't show a balance either for a 1 room setup. Disclaimer, I only went to the checkout not through the full process with credit check etc. 

Customers with only 1 TV technically only get HR24 free. I don't see the point of this besides $

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

Protected By... spam firewall...And...