Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

HR44-500 w/RC71 - Annoyance with channel change...

Genie HR44 warn before changing channel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   p0wd3r

p0wd3r

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

Hello all, new to the forum and to DirecTV again (had them, then cable, then dish, now DTV again), and I have the new Genie HR44-500 with the new RC71 remote.  The receiver is awesome and so much faster than anything I've used before with any of the TV services.  I only have one small annoyance, and I hope someone here can help me with it, since my googling doesn't seem to be able to find the answer.

With my crappy DishNetwork VIP622 (they refused to upgrade me to the VIP722, even though I went through 3 of those 622 units before I gave up!) I was able to pause a show, then resume, etc...  But when I would change the channel, it would warn me if I was recording.  I have 3 young kids that love buttons, so this was a very useful nag screen.  Now with my new DTV setup, and the RF remote, I pause a show, I sit on the remote or one of the kids presses a button and BAM! My show is no longer recorded and I lose where I was.

So, my question is, can I set it up so I can have a pop-up warning if I change the channel while I have a show queued?  Or is there some way that I can return to the previous channel and have the recording resume?  It is quite frustrating, and it happens quite often (probably more than it should) but I cannot find any way to resolve it.  I've been through all of the menu options I could find to no avail.  Please help!  And thank you!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,302 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

There's no option for a nag screen but you can press the RECORD button if you're in a situation that might end up with an inadvertent channel change.

You could also press the down arrow to activate doubleplay and set both tuners to the same channel. That way, if the channel on the first tuner is changed, the show is still being buffered on the second tuner.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,041 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:45 AM

Just set series recordings for everything you watch. Never miss anything no matter what that way.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

Sounds like you are not actually recording the show you are watching when the channel gets changed.  If you were actually recording it and all tuners were in use, it would warn you.

#5 OFFLINE   p0wd3r

p0wd3r

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Bummer on the no nag screen.  :(  The double play might work, I'll see if I can get that going.  Don't really want to record everything I watch, because I don't want to wade through everything and delete it all, or does the Genie manage that pretty well?

Not recording, just pausing, which is recording, but more like a buffer I guess?

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

Well, diff strokes, but every time there's a talking head I want to listen to, I go into List and clean up the first couple of screens. Sorted by Last recorded, first to List, of course. Easy and clean. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie, HR44, warn before changing channel

spam firewall