Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Garry

Garry

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

I currently have 3 HD DVRS and 2 HD receivers. All three DVRS have recorded content on them.

If I were to get Genie, would I still be able to retain the HD DVRS?

Also how involved is getting Genie installed?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Yes, you can keep your DVR's. Assuming that you already have SWM, the installer will need to change your LNB from a SWM LNB (which can only handle 8 tuners) to a standard LNB and install a SWM-16 multiswitch.  This will require 3 additional coax runs from your dish to the switch.  The SWM-16 will then have two lines out that will either run to splitters or directly to receivers.

IF you don't already have a SWM dish, the installer will replace your existing 6x8 multiswitch with a SWM-16 and some splitters, add DECA's to each of your existing receivers and install a power inserter.  One line going to each of your DVR's will be disconnected.

#3 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,945 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Please also note that you don't have to have all or any of the legacy receivers hooked to the dish while you while you watch down your recorded programs. So you don't have to change the LNB or SWiM.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Right.  I didn't read his question as if he wanted to eventually get rid of the DVR's after he finished watching the previously recorded programming.  Rather he was asking if he could replace one of the HD receivers with the Genie.

If I misunderstood the question, Laxguy is absolutely correct.

#5 OFFLINE   Garry

Garry

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

No, I wouldn't want to replace my DVR's. My thought was to replace one of my non-DVR's that I have.

#6 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,725 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

So you would just need a SWM 16. Trickiest part really is that the installer has to make sure not to overload one side of the SWM 16. But that's simple, just can't go over 8 tuners on each side.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,270 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Please also note that you don't have to have all or any of the legacy receivers hooked to the dish while you while you watch down your recorded programs. So you don't have to change the LNB or SWiM.

Wouldn't the receivers go into a rebooting loop with the latest software if not connected to a dish?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,945 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

Dunno. Would require new data which I don't have, and would be different for legacy receivers than latest ones.

Do you have info. that shows that? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,270 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

There were lots of post over at DirecTV forums from RVers "complaining that the HR2x would keep rebooting if not connected to a working dish.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

No, I wouldn't want to replace my DVR's. My thought was to replace one of my non-DVR's that I have.

This would be best IMHO and allow you to watch all your content anywhere with Whole Home Service just as you are now.

spam firewall