Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Genie 0x0725, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#26 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,327 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

I've not seen any explanation for scanning being broken. 

But I do love the new TV apps. The old ones were ugly and useless to me. Mileage varies! 

I don't think it's broken, I think they took it away on purpose.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Well, I can't disagree with that, as I have no inside info. on that. But what might be the reason(s) for so doing? Does the scanning take place in the unit, or the DVR?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#28 OFFLINE   jacinkcmo

jacinkcmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 78 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

Well, I can't disagree with that, as I have no inside info. on that. But what might be the reason(s) for so doing? Does the scanning take place in the unit, or the DVR?

The official release notes state:

New features

• HD TVApps

Updated and Improved:

• OTA Scanning removed for AM21 Users (now relies on the same table used for Hx2x)

Not sure how removing a perfectly good feature is and improvement!

I grew up in a 3-channel world...and there's often still nothing on I want to watch!

HR44-500 w/ AM-21
HR24-200

#29 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

The official release notes state:

New features

• HD TVApps

Updated and Improved:

• OTA Scanning removed for AM21 Users (now relies on the same table used for Hx2x)

Not sure how removing a perfectly good feature is and improvement!

Yes, that point has been made several times! 

#30 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,088 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

I still have to think it was causing some issues somewhere.

I hold out hope that when they turn off the old guide data they will go back and add in all the missing over the air guide data and channels.

I only think this because of comments made abut adding over the air back into their receivers as a way to combat rising over the air fees thee paying out that was mentioned a few months ago.

However, I think aero may have begun to poke a lot of holes in all this carriage fees for over the air stations.

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hmmmm. The holes that may be punched in the Aero case(s?) may go either way....

#32 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,013 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

New apps is nice, but the fonts are kinda small for me......

HR44-200 HDMI to Toshiba 42
HR24-100

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#33 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

How far away are you sitting and what TV (size and type)?

#34 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

How far away are you sitting and what TV (size and type)?

42" LCD, 8-11'. If that matters. The fonts on the "original" ScoreGuide are just fine, but these new HD App scores are smaller.....

HR24-100

#35 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,088 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

Hmmmm. The holes that may be punched in the Aero case(s?) may go either way....

No, I mean if Aero wins out, then every provider will be able to get around having contracts with ota providers and not need consent by the time they are done. Sat companies may have the hardest time, because it evidently will also hinge somewhat on specific delivery process, maybe.  But its a start to destroying this whole ridiculous concept of having to pay for free ota tv.  It should have been banned by congress years ago, when they gave them billions of dollars of bandwidth.

#36 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

42" LCD, 8-11'. If that matters. The fonts on the "original" ScoreGuide are just fine, but these new HD App scores are smaller.....

It matters greatly. 

Yes, they are smaller, but are perfectly legible. I sit about that distance from a 58" plasma, and have had glasses for a very long time. I read it with no strain or discomfort. 

So, you're either too far away from the set, your set needs adjusting or replacing, or your vision isn't corrected properly. 

#37 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

It matters greatly. 

Yes, they are smaller, but are perfectly legible. I sit about that distance from a 58" plasma, and have had glasses for a very long time. I read it with no strain or discomfort. 

So, you're either too far away from the set, your set needs adjusting or replacing, or your vision isn't corrected properly. 

I'm not buying a new TV! :hurah: ...........Your statement even implies they are smaller. Why not bump them up 2 font sizes, simple solution.....I'm not going to lose sleep over this....

HR24-100

#38 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'm not buying a new TV! :hurah: ...........Your statement even implies they are smaller. Why not bump them up 2 font sizes, simple solution.....I'm not going to lose sleep over this....

Nor I!  Yes, they are smaller, but clearer by a large margin. 

You might be more comfortable moving a few feet closer.

#39 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:31 AM

I would rather use the original TV Apps from the HR2x, the fonts are too small when I'm watching on a 50 inch plasma, and a bit confusing with all that small text with blue surroundings, the weather app is not so bad, but IMHO they should work on other fixes instead of the TV Apps, and even though I don't use a AM21 they should of never removed the OTA scanning.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#40 OFFLINE   mabellboi

mabellboi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

Anyone know if the freezing issue, during playback, is/was resolved with this update?

#41 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

My HR44 froze last night. So I guess the problem remains.
T

#42 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

My HR44 froze last night. So I guess the problem remains.

That's not good news :(

Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#43 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

That's not good news :(

Understand that the freeze is easily corrected by pressing rew then play the DVR is not locked up, which would require a reboot to correct. It only occurred once and did not effect the enjoyment of the recorded show.
T

#44 OFFLINE   jacinkcmo

jacinkcmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 78 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Understand that the freeze is easily corrected by pressing rew then play the DVR is not locked up, which would require a reboot to correct. It only occurred once and did not effect the enjoyment of the recorded show.

The freeze I seem to have at least once a week is while in the guide, all funcionality simply stops - the program I'm watching continues in the small inset screen, but no button pushes have any effect - I can't exit the guide or make anything else happen - a reset seems to be the only "fix".

I grew up in a 3-channel world...and there's often still nothing on I want to watch!

HR44-500 w/ AM-21
HR24-200

#45 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

While I understand there are times Directv choses not to invest in OTA features I am perplexed that they extended time and energy to remove a useful feature.

The definition of Perplexed and DTV are in the same category.  No difference on my end, same old BS they just wont address. live buffers failing, etc , etc ,etc... this must just be a huge joke at the water cooler.

Edited by Datagg, 19 July 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#46 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Buffers are 20th C. ideas. Use Record if you care about what you watch. 

#47 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

Buffers are 20th C. ideas. Use Record if you care about what you watch. 

Excuse me....no offense,  I get up to answer the phone and pause, come back it wont play...if I get up to take a leak, come back it wont resume... Perhaps my buffer term is misplaced, but is it to much to ask for a unit to perform as its intended?... I understand the apparent love some have for this unit, I get it.... but the issues it has is insane and what we get is stuff taken away, no fixes and at times things get worse when stated otherwise. Im sorry i pay allot of money for this service and its not to much to expect the value I am told I will get to actual work as it should.

Edited by Datagg, 19 July 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#48 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

You're quite right; that's a use of the buffer that positively should work. Not that this makes it right, but if you record, does the same thing happen? A possible work around till you can get that unit replaced. (You're not 98% full or anything are you?)

#49 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

You're quite right; that's a use of the buffer that positively should work. Not that this makes it right, but if you record, does the same thing happen? A possible work around till you can get that unit replaced. (You're not 98% full or anything are you?)

No under 20%, not much on there at at all as i try to keep the load down. I understand your point on recording and beleive me i do most of the time. But to record every show is just not always feasable. For instance, i have guests over, or the family to watch a game, or a show that comes on out of the blue. Someone has to get up, I pause it and they come back and 20 minutes is lost. or any type of scenario that causes this. I shouldn’t have to "Record" something everytime to avoid this issue. Sure it’s a workaround, but i or any subscriber shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to avoid a situation that they just won’t fix or address or for that matter even admit is an issue.

Very frustrating.... maybe the next patch

EDIT, just happened.. Wife just say down, began to watch the show wipe-out, paused it as she wanted me to see a part of it. came in here as i was writing this, got up when done, sat down she pressed play and it wouldnt start, tried to rewind it, wouldnt move... wouldnt forward... as always, we had to change the chanels then go back.. all lost.  Damn this is ridiculous. This is the 2nd HR34 this year.

Edited by Datagg, 19 July 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Something else about the new TV Apps sports app, the game times for MLB seem to be all Pacific time zone. I live in the Mountain time zone. My HR44 is showing the correct time for me, recordings are fine, so it must be something involving this new app. I do wish we had the "Favorite Team" selection and Email checker app that we had before. Maybe they will come later.....

HR24-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...