Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Genie 0x0725, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

Anyway to roll back to previous version? Removing OTA scanning has removed my local Fox affiliate.

It removed the main Fox, not a subchannel? You should be getting it over satellite, or were you using it as a rain fade backup?

But as RAD says, really no way of going back, or of avoiding an update.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   vbush

vbush

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts
  • LocationTexas (Tyler DMA)

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

It removed the main Fox, not a subchannel? You should be getting it over satellite, or were you using it as a rain fade backup?

But as RAD says, really no way of going back, or of avoiding an update.

It is a low power digital station that serves the southern part of my DMA. I get the primary Fox for the DMA on DTV, but we get a lot of thunderstorms in east Texas and it is nice to have it as a back-up. Mainly, why would you take away a feature?

Edited by vbush, 21 July 2013 - 09:13 AM.

Slimline (SWM) > HR 44-500 > WVBR0-01 > C41W-500 + HR 24-200 (AM-21) = (Whole Home DVR) Ultimate + HD Extra Pack + HBO + Showtime + Protection Plan<p>

#63 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,265 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

It is a low power digital station that serves the southern part of my DMA. I get the primary Fox for the DMA on DTV, but we get a lot of thunderstorms in east Texas and it is nice to have it as a back-up. Mainly, why would you take away a feature?

While certainly disgusted with DIRECTV's removal of OTA scanning on the Genie, I can still see them offering the typical excuse on this.

It was never an "officially" stated "feature" and therefore subject to change or removal at any time. This is why I personally won't become over reliant on other "unofficial features" such as the Genie's internal CCK or something which could suddenly be removed by a FW update at any time as well.

But anyway, I see in the TPN maps your Fox outlet, KFXK-51, has an SD version as well on 119. Since your SD locals are on 119 and thus your installation should have included a SL-5 LNBF, they should fair better during heavy thunderstorms. So you might try them as a temporary workaround for those periods.    

Edited by HoTat2, 21 July 2013 - 10:31 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#64 OFFLINE   vbush

vbush

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Now it is just froze (completely locked up) in the middle of live ESPN. Had to do reset. Do they test these software updates before they push them out? I was not having any problems until the new software.

It rebooted and played again for about 10 seconds and froze again. After resetting for the second time it is playing again.

Edited by vbush, 21 July 2013 - 11:55 AM.

Slimline (SWM) > HR 44-500 > WVBR0-01 > C41W-500 + HR 24-200 (AM-21) = (Whole Home DVR) Ultimate + HD Extra Pack + HBO + Showtime + Protection Plan<p>

#65 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Do they test these software updates before they push them out?

if so you would think we would have FAR less issues than we do.

#66 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Oh well;

Just got another callback from the rep. at DIRECTV's Office of the President (Ellen Filipiak's group) on the issue of removal of the Genie's OTA scanning capability in this FW update.

She contacted engineering and they state that the OTA scanning was never intended to be included as a feature of the Genie to begin with, and was serendipitous.

It was therefore removed at their discretion for reasons they didn't specify..

They also said they felt safe doing it due to lack of interest since both the AM21's usage today is very low as most markets are covered pretty thoroughly by their locals through the satellite, and this OTA scanning capability was little known or understood by almost all subscribers anyhow.

She then concluded at the end that its gone and don't look for it to return and if you want those secondary sub-channels you have to get them from an OTA ATSC tuner on your TV or something.

Though she did make a note that this was a feature one of our subscribers would like.

Yeah right, nice lady but still a major "yuck" ...  :barf: to DIRECTV STB Engineering for this.     

Edited by HoTat2, 21 July 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#67 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Some of the channels I get on the AM21 are my favorites. Old Episodes of the 60s drama Combat on METV 2-2 in Atlanta are a recent nostalgic attraction.
But I need a little clarification as to what the update took away.
1. My ota channels currently still show up in the guide on my HR44. The set up menu still shows a ota scan for channels option. What did they remove?
2. If you cannot scan for channels on a HR44-34 & AM21 can you move the AM21 and pair it up with a HR21-24 record the shows you like and then watch them on any networked client?
T

#68 OFFLINE   vbush

vbush

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Some of the channels I get on the AM21 are my favorites. Old Episodes of the 60s drama Combat on METV 2-2 in Atlanta are a recent nostalgic attraction.
1. My ota channels currently still show up in the guide on my HR44. The set up menu still shows a ota scan for channels option. What did they remove?

You lose the ability to scan for channels you may get that are not in the predefined DTV list of OTA channels.

2. If you cannot scan for channels on a HR44-34 & AM21 can you move the AM21 and pair it up with a HR21-24 record the shows you like and then watch them on any networked client?

No, it only worked for Genies. If the stations you want are in the DTV predefined list of OTA channels you probably aren't impacted. I believe you can watch anything that is on your Genie on a client or a networked HD receiver/recorder.

Edited by vbush, 21 July 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

1) The receivers prior to the Genies, either the HR20 or other H/HR models with the AM21, never truly scanned off-air for local ATSC channels. But instead relied on a database downloaded from the satellite containing the channels in each market and how to tune to them. The problem is this database is inaccurate many times and also out of date as DIRECTV no longer updates it with the latest local channel changes in each market. So if a channel is not in the database or the mapping for it wrong in it, then you cannot receive them.

The Genies however had a capability to help alleviate this major design drawback, by actively scanning off air and listing channels not included in the database. Though they wouldn't have guide information for them, they were nevertheless tunable. DIRECTV has now removed this capability from the Genies rendering them no better now than all other receivers in being totally subjected to the flawed database for local channel listings.

2) No, the Genies and all other receivers work identically now in this area.        

#70 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

If you scan OTA channels on your TV, can you manually add, say channel 232-1?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#71 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

If you scan OTA channels on your TV, can you manually add, say channel 232-1?

What do you mean?

ATSC tuner OTA channel scans only list discovered channels between 2-69.

#72 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

1) The receivers prior to the Genies, either the HR20 or other H/HR models with the AM21, never truly scanned off-air for local ATSC channels. But instead relied on a database downloaded from the satellite containing the channels in each market and how to tune to them. The problem is this database is inaccurate many times and also out of date as DIRECTV no longer updates it with the latest local channel changes in each market. So if a channel is not in the database or the mapping for it wrong in it, then you cannot receive them.

The Genies however had a capability to help alleviate this major design drawback, by actively scanning off air and listing channels not included in the database. Though they wouldn't have guide information for them, they were nevertheless tunable. DIRECTV has now removed this capability from the Genies rendering them no better now than all other receivers in being totally subjected to the flawed database for local channel listings.

2) No, the Genies and all other receivers work identically now in this area.

Thanks for the info, I understand the issue now.
T

#73 OFFLINE   jacinkcmo

jacinkcmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

So in this market (Kansas City), only some of the subchannels are in the DTV database.  I can watch the others via the TV's tuner, but that doesn't allow me to record them.

It seems like removing this capability (inadvertantly there or not) without keeping the database current was just ignorant.  As has been stated, most DTV employees have no idea what the AM21 is (my HR44 installer wanted to remove it), so why do they still sell it?

I grew up in a 3-channel world...and there's often still nothing on I want to watch!

HR44-500 w/ AM-21
HR24-200

#74 OFFLINE   avonabudget

avonabudget

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

Got to echo the disappointment that the AM21/AM21N/OTA scanning has been removed from the Genie's. :crying:

I do not yet have this latest version on my HR34. Just had my Genie installed this weekend on an upgrade and I noticed that the connected AM21N picked up so many more OTA channels via scan than my HR24 and HR21.

Very disappointing indeed to hear they are doing away with the scanning feature. :down:

HR34-700/AM21N on ESATA WD30EURS & TT Max 5
HR24-200/AM21 on ESATA WD20EURS & TT Max 5
HR21-700/AM21 on ESATA WD10000CSRTL & Antec MX-1

#75 OFFLINE   steelerfanmike

steelerfanmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts
  • LocationNj/pa border

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Thanks Directv for removing something that worked (ALMOST) perfect.... So what the guide data didnt work. This is one of the reasons why I didnt leave Directv. Love the ota built right in the guide. Have a funny feeling since all the customer service is clueless to ota there going to remove ALL

If thats the case I'm outta here when contract is up. Than I will loose the blackout headace on the sports too. Cable people get to watch games and I dont.... (Comcast sports net Philly)

HR34-700 with a AM 21 OTA Tuner Hooked to a Sony HD3D 60" TV ( KDL-60EX720)
With 3 C31 Clients an using a Cisco E4200 V2 wireless router for APPS and Youtube
Hooked to a OTA Channel Master Roof mount 100 mile range antenna with a rotor.
To watch (Philly @ WilkesBarre PA. Locals)
Directv locals are NYC

#76 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

I agree with this one. I am also experiancing HDMI cut outs. Every so offen both audio and picture goes black. Then they return.  Never had this problem before.

Also I missed the app where I can keep track of my favorite sport team.

An update. I now have a case manager from Directv to work on why the HDMI is cutting out. Last night they had me up load the log files from my HR-34. Took about 15 minutes to upload. I was unaware that there was an option send the linux /var/log files to Directv Engineers?

HDR-24
HDR-34
AM-21N
ATT uverse internet

Genie Go

PGP: AD5A 96DC 7556 A020 B8E7 0E4D 5D5E 9BA5 C83E 8C92

#77 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

I do not yet have this latest version on my HR34. Just had my Genie installed this weekend on an upgrade and I noticed that the connected AM21N picked up so many more OTA channels via scan than my HR24 and HR21.

Very disappointing indeed to hear they are doing away with the scanning feature. :down:

Sorry to hear that you will losing the OTA scan.   I am wondering how many folks are calling in to Directv to register thier complaint? If you have not call, please do.

HDR-24
HDR-34
AM-21N
ATT uverse internet

Genie Go

PGP: AD5A 96DC 7556 A020 B8E7 0E4D 5D5E 9BA5 C83E 8C92

#78 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 186 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

An update. I now have a case manager from Directv to work on why the HDMI is cutting out. Last night they had me up load the log files from my HR-34. Took about 15 minutes to upload. I was unaware that there was an option send the linux /var/log files to Directv Engineers?

Interestingly enough mine started doing this late last week. I'm not sure if I'm on the latest NR or still x06db but I had to pull my Monoprice HDMI switcher out of the loop because the problem got so severe. It hasn't done it since so I am unsure if it's the HR34 or the switcher. Aside from the HDMI blackouts I was getting green picture with no sound as well. Channel change would fix it (Native is enabled). Keep us posted!

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#79 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts
  • LocationWinter Park, Florida

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

I have to say the 725 update on my HR44 has been great. My picture issues are gone, colors look better and the Dolby Digital issues seem corrected (DD wasn't being picked up by the box without lots of switching and powering off). I thought it was my receiver but know I believe it was the firmware causing the issues.
GO GATORS!!!

#80 OFFLINE   sjh4915

sjh4915

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I have an odd issue that just appeared after the 0x0725 update.  Now my Genie (hr44-700) automatically begins recording the current show that I am watching.

At first I thought it was a remote issue - but I took the batteries out of the remote and after about 20 minutes, Genie started recording the show I was watching.  Then after 20 more minutes it began recording the entire series of the show.

It asks as if someone is pressing the "R" button and then pressing it again.  Did not have this issue before Thursday, now it does it about every 20 minutes.

I have done the RBR with no help...

Ideas?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...