Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I watch recordings on a deactiated r16-500?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jxsilicon9

jxsilicon9

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

I keep going to the manage recording menu but I only see to do list,history,etc

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

If the R16 was connected to the satellite dish when you had it deactivated, and it got the deactivation command, there is no way to watch the recordings that were on it. It is essentially no longer a DVR.

If you disconnected it from the dish before calling for deactivation, try pressing EXIT then MENU and see if you can get to your recording list. Given that you are getting to the menu, I don't think you've got a chance of recovering the recordings (unless you reactivate the DVR).

#3 OFFLINE   jxsilicon9

jxsilicon9

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:10 AM

Well Direct service technician came and replaced it with another DVR. So I think he deactivated before disconnecting it. 

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,753 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

What happens if you press LIST

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   jxsilicon9

jxsilicon9

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

What happens if you press LIST

Its says "DVR service is not activated on your account."

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Sounds pretty definitive to me. You could re-activate it for a month or two, no? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Its says "DVR service is not activated on your account."

If you want to watch the recordings you'll need to reactivate it.  You may find a another way around it but honestly is it not worth $6/month to watch all the rest of the shows on that dvr?

#8 OFFLINE   jxsilicon9

jxsilicon9

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

If you want to watch the recordings you'll need to reactivate it.  You may find a another way around it but honestly is it not worth $6/month to watch all the rest of the shows on that dvr?

That is ridiculous. I remember when Directv had Tivo DVR's. Those were great and there was none of this ridiculousness. 

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

HD requires a lot more than SD ever did, and a lot of features—not all of them wanted by many— adds complexity. 

But it's hardly ridiculous that a DVR is unusable once it's been de-activated. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   jxsilicon9

jxsilicon9

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

HD requires a lot more than SD ever did, and a lot of features—not all of them wanted by many— adds complexity. 

But it's hardly ridiculous that a DVR is unusable once it's been de-activated. 

I don't mind it being deactivated but you should still be able to watch your recordings. What is that going to hurt? 

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,753 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

I don't mind it being deactivated but you should still be able to watch your recordings. What is that going to hurt? 

You do not OWN the content.  The content is rented to you by DirecTV, the expiration date is the day you deactivate the receiver.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Someone could sign up for service use on demand and such to record everything they want and then shut it off. Get all their programming in a month instead if over say six months. People will work the system.

Also with mrv your talking about shutting off part and not all if it. If it could playback it's own recordings it'd be able to play back others if it could stay connected and thus circumvent the extra fee per location.

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

Almost every type of subscription-based hardware ceases to function if the subscription isn't maintained.  In the case of devices which can be of some use without the subscription, when they get that "disable" command from whatever network they are on they cease to function.

In the old days before the lease program began, the software in the DVR's let you watch the shows you had recorded as long as you wanted to IF you disconnected it from the satellite before it got the shutdown command.  Almost all of the current DirecTV receivers have a built-in timer which needs to be reset by a "refresh" signal from the satellite in order to allow it to keep functioning.  Depending on when it got the last "refresh" signal, you could watch recordings for some time after the device is disconnected from the satellite but not indefinitely.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...