Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No more $10 HD access credit?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:26 AM

Can't complain really. Been getting it for the last 2-3 years if I remember correctly. This is when Directv was offering free life time HD access to new customers. And was some what trying to extend it to others. Catch was you needed to be in auto pay. Noticed the credit was gone on my latest statement and decided to call in. I thought it would be renewed again with no problem. I was informed Directv stopped offering that to current customers. It was a 2 year promo or so. No problem. As I was about to hang up. The rep. did find something in their system per my account for a $5 credit. That would be for 3 months. Said thanks again and would gladly accept it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Yep, it was for two years. Some of us were hoping that after two years, the HD fee would just go away, but there are still a lot of SD customers. Of course the HD fee going away would probably include an extra bump in the price increases.

#3 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

yeah, when my $10 credit expired, I cut down the programming package since they would not play ball... 

HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#4 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

I got lucky when the HD Credit promotion expired.  I got in on the credit almost immediately after it initaally became available.  Apparently, DirecTV had some problem with their email system (that they subsequently fixed) that caused an email to be sent when my 2 year credit expired (rather than when it started) saying that they were going to give me 2 years of free HD.

When they didn't extend the credit automatically and my bill increased by $10, I called and asked about it. The first CSR couldn't help me.  But I was transferred to someone who was able to verify that this email had been sent to me a month earlier.  So, they honored the email and extended the "Advanced Receiver-HD 24 Months Free HD Access" credit for another 2 years.

#5 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Back in June I called in to change packages and I was offered a $10 credit for HD for a year. Here is the line from my last bill.  If this is what you are talking about then they will still give you a HD credit.

06/17  07/16  Advanced Receiver-HD 12 Months Free HD Access    -10.00   Credit

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,623 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Yep, it was for two years. Some of us were hoping that after two years, the HD fee would just go away, but there are still a lot of SD customers. Of course the HD fee going away would probably include an extra bump in the price increases.

Agree.  it'll be probably be "buried" somewhere with other fees.  As it stands now, new customers do not have an "HD access" fee but rather a "advanced receiver" fee.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yeah, when I was thinking the fee might go away, I was thinking more for current customers. But, we at least pay $2 less.

#8 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

Funny how they had a promo, 4 years ago, for new customers.  Free HD for Life.  So why doesn't every customer qualify for that?  They're starting to act like the banks, find any excuse to put a fee on it and not call it an increase.  It's all the same to me.  I'm considering dropping my HD, after next spring, if they don't do something about this.  Most customers are now HD, so fix it or lose customers.

#9 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

More or less, my story as well. The email bought me another 2 years with the credit.

I got lucky when the HD Credit promotion expired.  I got in on the credit almost immediately after it initaally became available.  Apparently, DirecTV had some problem with their email system (that they subsequently fixed) that caused an email to be sent when my 2 year credit expired (rather than when it started) saying that they were going to give me 2 years of free HD.

When they didn't extend the credit automatically and my bill increased by $10, I called and asked about it. The first CSR couldn't help me.  But I was transferred to someone who was able to verify that this email had been sent to me a month earlier.  So, they honored the email and extended the "Advanced Receiver-HD 24 Months Free HD Access" credit for another 2 years.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, Optical Audio to Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 3.41/.71 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

Funny how they had a promo, 4 years ago, for new customers.  Free HD for Life.  So why doesn't every customer qualify for that?  They're starting to act like the banks, find any excuse to put a fee on it and not call it an increase.  It's all the same to me.  I'm considering dropping my HD, after next spring, if they don't do something about this.  Most customers are now HD, so fix it or lose customers.

I believe last year, in a filing with the FCC, they said that 40% of new customers had HD.

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,250 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

From the 2012 Annual Shareholders Report (page 27 of 154 of the PDF version):

For example, in 2012 we introduced an Advanced Receiver Service fee on our customer's bills eliminating "Free HD for Life" as well as a lower cost programming "Entertainment" package to better fit the needs of our more value conscious consumers. These actions have reduced customer credits and are expected to increase ARPU over the coming years.

#12 OFFLINE   DornoDiosMio

DornoDiosMio

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

From the 2012 Annual Shareholders Report (page 27 of 154 of the PDF version):

Pretty disgusting that they practically admit to introducing the "Advanced Receiver Fee" as a way of reneging on the "Free HD for Life" deal.  Not that I'd expect them to behave differently, it is just unfortunate that so many companies do these kinds of deceitful things now.

Props to you for reading all 154 pages though?!?  At least skimming it for the good stuff I imagine!

#13 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Funny how they had a promo, 4 years ago, for new customers. Free HD for Life. So why doesn't every customer qualify for that? They're starting to act like the banks, find any excuse to put a fee on it and not call it an increase. It's all the same to me. I'm considering dropping my HD, after next spring, if they don't do something about this. Most customers are now HD, so fix it or lose customers.

So you're saying you'll watch everything in SD? If you have HD boxes, you have to have HD service, unless you are in an mpeg4 market.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

So you're saying you'll watch everything in SD? If you have HD boxes, you have to have HD service, unless you are in an mpeg4 market.

No, he will just call in and request another discount..... !rolling

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Actiually, I'm not even sure that 50% of D*'s customers are HD yet...so I dont think that is accurate.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

Right. I

Actiually, I'm not even sure that 50% of D*'s customers are HD yet...so I dont think that is accurate.

Right, if last year only 40% of new customers were going HD, there's a lot of legacy customers out there.

#17 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,033 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

While I dont dispute the reported numbers it really surprises me that the penetration is not a lot higher. Considering that the retail market has been exclusively HD for 4 - 5 years, you can buy a smaller HD set for $200 - $300 and the fact that DirecTV has always been the upper end of the pay TV market I would expect penetration to be in the 75% range

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Washington, D.C. (February 11, 2013) -- The Leichtman Research Group has issued a survey result showing that 75 percent of U.S. households now have at least one High-Definition TV.

The research firm says the number represents a dramatic increase from five years ago when only 23 percent of homes owned at least one HDTV.

Leichtman added that 51 percent of HDTV households now have more than one high-def set, compared to 22 percent five years ago. Overall, roughly 38 percent of all U.S. households have multiple HDTV sets, which is a 26 percent increase from two years ago. 

The Leichtman findings are based on a survey of 1,252 households in the United States.

In other findings:

* 84 percent with annual household incomes over $50,000 have an HDTV -- compared to 73 percent with household incomes of $30,000-$50,000, and 56 percent with household incomes under $30,000 

* Among those getting HD programming from a cable, satellite, or a Telco TV provider, the perceived mean number of channels of HD programming is 77 -- up from 63 two years ago, and 29 five years ago;

* About 6 percent of all US households currently have an HDTV set that is 3D-capable, but 41 percent of this group do not watch any content in 3D.

* 22 percent of all households purchased a new TV set in the past 12 months. The mean reported purchase price was $680 -- about 30 percent less than five years ago;

* 14 percent  of all households plan to purchase a new TV set in the next 12 months -- compared to 19 percent last year, and 17 percent five years ago 

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

While 75% of US households "might" have an HD TV, it does not necessarily means they have an HD as the source. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

While 75% of US households "might" have an HD TV, it does not necessarily means they have an HD as the source. 

+1......It amazes me how many people purchase a HDTV and fail to realize you need a HD signal to go with it.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

spam firewall