Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No more $10 HD access credit?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,305 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

+1......It amazes me how many people purchase a HDTV and fail to realize you need a HD signal to go with it.

many times I go into a home that has all HD TV sets but yet they are getting SD service.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

They would know in a heartbeat if they were hooked up to DTV's SD signal. lol 

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

They would know in a heartbeat if they were hooked up to DTV's SD signal. lol 

Well customers know they are getting SD.  I would assume it has do do with cost or perhaps credit worthiness 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#24 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,344 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

When we went through the digital transition, there were people that thought that was HD.

I've seen plenty of people on cable that don't tune to the HD channel. They tune to channel 5 etc, not 905 or whatever the HD feed is.

#25 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,164 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

Or they're watching the SD channel with no clue they have HD!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#26 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Actiually, I'm not even sure that 50% of D*'s customers are HD yet...so I dont think that is accurate.

I'm not.  My neighbor isn't.  Two friends of mine aren't.  In fact, I don't know ANYBODY who has DirecTV HD!

$10 a month for HD is outrageous since cable (of all crooked outfits!) doesn't charge extra for it.  And cable doesn't force you to pay for "multi-room" service if you only want one box either.  Of course, they do charge $0.38 per month for the remote.   :money:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#27 OFFLINE   whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214

AllStar

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

I am still getting mine after 2+ years :)

#28 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,344 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm not.  My neighbor isn't.  Two friends of mine aren't.  In fact, I don't know ANYBODY who has DirecTV HD!

$10 a month for HD is outrageous since cable (of all crooked outfits!) doesn't charge extra for it.  And cable doesn't force you to pay for "multi-room" service if you only want one box either.  Of course, they do charge $0.38 per month for the remote.   :money:

Even taking out DirecTV, there are a lot of SD TV subscribers period. Not too long ago, in 2010, 80% of programming on HD sets was SD. Some of that of course was due to channels not available on the provider, but not all of it.

#29 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

while cable might not charge an HD fee separately, it is definitely built in (the fee) in to the receiver monthly fee

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#30 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

In my area, they charge the same price per box that directv charges for an advanced receiver fee. Yeah, per hd dvr box.  If you had two, then it'd be way more expensive than directv just because of that.  Its in there, you pay it, its just hidden in a different spot.  Now That may not be the case with your cable company, but look closer and let us know.

I can't comprehend owning an hd tv and having directv but not paying the $10 to have hd.  That boggles my mind.  To me its a waste of money to not have HD programming with an hdtv.

#31 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

I can't comprehend owning an hd tv and having directv but not paying the $10 to have hd.  That boggles my mind.  To me its a waste of money to not have HD programming with an hdtv.

It depends on the type of programming you watch.  I don't watch sports which is the big reason a lot of people bought an HDTV.  I was perfectly happy with my 31" Magnavox but it was almost 20 years old and it gave up the ghost so I was STUCK buying a flat screen HDTV to replace it.

I watch a lot of "classic" TV which isn't in HD anyway.  I also watch a lot of game shows which HD doesn't do a lot for-not to mention I watch GSN a lot which isn't in HD on DirecTV.

In addition, the TV that I watch the LEAST is the flat screen HD set in the living room.  I mostly watch my 13" tube-type TV's in the kitchen and bedroom.  Each has an R15 feeding it.

So why would I commit to 2 years with DirecTV to get ONE HDDVR and add $13 to my monthly cost?  (HD + whole home which I don't use)  If I really was mad about HDTV I'd switch providers (DISH Network) and get all NEW equipment and a NEW dish plus huge programming discounts for the first year and FREE HD FOR LIFE.  So why don't I switch?  I like having multiple DVR's which so far none of DirecTV's competitor's will supply for the same price.  However, if DIrecTV decides to jack up the "additional TV" rate too much I'll be gone.  Somehow, since it's the one thing they still have that's a real value I don't think they will.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#32 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

I have a feeling if you decided to upgrade to a genie that you'd be able to get lots of discounts and free hardware too for your situation.

And i suppose if its a secondary tv that almost never gets watched that makes sense. I was thinking more along the lines if you have a main tv that hd you watch all the time. Even if only a little is in hd.

Of course My point was have an HDTV and not get the hd content that's available. If all you watch isn't available anyway in hd then yeah it would be a waste and might as well stick to s till the content you watch is in hd.

Of course unless its my iPad I wouldn't watch tv on 13" anyway to be honest.

#33 OFFLINE   andy A

andy A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

Same here.  I received an email from D in June 2012 which stated I would receive 2 more years of free HD service.  Opened the July 2013 bill and the credit was no longer being applied, called D and they did not want to budge at first but finally relinquished after I explained the email I received from them. 

More or less, my story as well. The email bought me another 2 years with the credit.

I got lucky when the HD Credit promotion expired.  I got in on the credit almost immediately after it initaally became available.  Apparently, DirecTV had some problem with their email system (that they subsequently fixed) that caused an email to be sent when my 2 year credit expired (rather than when it started) saying that they were going to give me 2 years of free HD.

When they didn't extend the credit automatically and my bill increased by $10, I called and asked about it. The first CSR couldn't help me.  But I was transferred to someone who was able to verify that this email had been sent to me a month earlier.  So, they honored the email and extended the "Advanced Receiver-HD 24 Months Free HD Access" credit for another 2 years.

#34 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Well customers know they are getting SD.  I would assume it has do do with cost or perhaps credit worthiness 

Or, it could do with their inability to receive an HD signal.  I can receive the SD signal but as a result of LOS issues can't receive the side satellites that provide HD service.

#35 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

Or, it could do with their inability to receive an HD signal.  I can receive the SD signal but as a result of LOS issues can't receive the side satellites that provide HD service.

And that is EXTREMELY rare being able to get sd and not hd due to LOS.

#36 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

And that is EXTREMELY rare being able to get sd and not hd due to LOS.

Right on!  there is only 2 degrees to each side of the one 101 for the HD sats.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#37 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

Not the case, at least with the SD install that I do.  I always ask the customers to upgrade to HD as is easier to install and generally pays more

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#38 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Right on!  there is only 2 degrees to each side of the one 101 for the HD sats.

Raleigh isn't called the City of Oaks for no reason.  My house is completely surrounded by mature trees.  SD is received through a notch between two of the trees.

#39 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Raleigh isn't called the City of Oaks for no reason.  My house is completely surrounded by mature trees.  SD is received through a notch between two of the trees.

If this is the case, then everytime the wind blows or a minor rain should cause pixelation or signal loss

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall