Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

So you want a fast SSD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

How does 3,000MB/s grab ya? :)

http://www.engadget....sd-NVMe-XS1715/

From the press release (highlights by me): 

SEOUL, South Korea--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced that it has developed the industry's first 2.5-inch (SFF-8639) NVM Express* (NVMe) PCIe solid state drive (SSD), to open up the high-end enterprise storage market.

The newly developed high-speed 1.6TB NVMe SSD provides a sequential read speed at 3,000MB/s, which allows it to process 500GB (gigabytes) of data (equivalent to 100 Full HD movies 5GB in length) in less than 3 minutes. When compared to other products with similar specifications, this new SSD is 14 times faster than a high-end enterprise HDD for server use, and six times faster than Samsung's former high-end enterprise SSD storage.

The XS1715's random read performance reaches up to 740,000 IOPS (Input Output Operations Per Second), which is more than 10 times as fast as existing high-end SSD storage options.

The new NVMe SSD XS1715 comes in 400GB, 800GB and 1.6TB (terabytes) versions. It can also be found on the NVMe Integrators List (IL)**, which makes it an easy-to-manage and highly reliable solution for data center and server storage customers. System performance can be improved dramatically by upgrading to the NVMe SSD XS1715 from a 2.5-inch HDD or a 2.5-inch SATA SSD.

Over the next several years, Samsung expects to continue to develop a variety of NVMe SSD products with increasingly high performance levels.

Now, how to run a PCI/e cable to the drive bay in my laptop? :)

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

And in ten years that will be the norm for everyone and seem slow for the high end market. Yikes!

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,478 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Good for Sammy! 

A month or so ago, they announced similar jumps in technology for transmission, i.e., staggering internet speeds. 

I'm a believer. I'll believe it when I get it at home....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

I didn't see anything about life expectancy though.  SSD drives have a limit on read/writes and become trash, not even a good paperweight, after X amount.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

Not trash, just read-only. And that's after up to 100,000 read/write cycles.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Not trash, just read-only. And that's after up to 100,000 read/write cycles.

No, not even read only.  We've done extensive testing of SSD drives here.  After 100,000 cycles they become total trash.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall