Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fox Sports 1

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Is dish going to carry it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

DIsh and Directv and many others are still negotiating for it.  Who knows at this point. After the PAC12 channel last year, its a coin toss IMHO on who will carry it.

#3 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 455 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

Apparently Dish, Directv, and TW Cable all think that they should pay the same for FS1 as they have been paying for Speed Channel, which FS1 is replacing.

Fox, of course, has a different opinion.

Negotiations continue.  It's not unusual for these things to drag on right up to the last minute - or sometimes beyond.

#4 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

We are still negotiating for this channel.  If you are interested in receiving FOX Sports 1, please PM me your account number so I can notate your account showing your interest in the channel.  Please let me know.  Thanks.

Is dish going to carry it?

#5 OFFLINE   Steeloc15

Steeloc15

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

Since this is a rebranding of the speed channel does Dish have the right to carry the channel until the current speed contract runs out or is it possible for the channel to be pulled on Aug 17th? 

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,656 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Since this is a rebranding of the speed channel does Dish have the right to carry the channel until the current speed contract runs out or is it possible for the channel to be pulled on Aug 17th?

It depends on the contract. There have been some instances of a channel changing and the "old format" sticking around on a provider since that provider's contract to carry that format channel was still in effect. I'm not sure how Speed could go to a new format and maintain the old ... NASCAR is on Speed so I'd expect that to continue on the special "holdover channel" but would Speed brand the holdover channel as Fox Sports 1 or keep the speed logo on the screen?

Hopefully we won't find out - hopefully DISH and Fox will come to reasonable terms and a month from now we'll just have Fox Sports 1. But there seems to be enough unsigned contracts that Fox should be working on a "old format" backup - so they can comply with the contracts they have until they can get the major players to sign on to the new.

Or perhaps they have already invoked a cancellation clause in their old contracts and Speed will die on August 17th. It all depends on the contracts.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

The live programming Fox plans to show on FS1 is, in large part, being stolen from the Fox broadcast network.  In other words, the total value of the programming with regards to live sports will not change.  So will Fox gladly reduce their carriage fees for the broadcast networks?  Fat chance.  Are they reducing affiliation fees to compensate their "partners"?  No, this is just another attempt to wring more money out of their viewers.  And it will likely work, just as most other attempts have.

#8 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

It all boils down to content.  Nobody should expect to pay more for the same product.  For a better product with more good stuff, sure. Key word here is GOOD.  If they want acceptence they need to hit the ground running. 

#9 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

They should bundle sports like premium channels.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

I love sports and even I totally agree Paul. It's time to change their package. I don't think anyone would be yelling about a la cart if sports and its costs where all in its own package. Not tier but pa Kane available separate from and independently from everything else.

I'd bet dish and directv would pick up all the missing sports channels too.

#11 OFFLINE   JYW10

JYW10

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

Do you guys know if Fox Sports 1 will be available for customers with the AT 120+ and Multi Sports Pack, or if it'll just replace Speed in the AT 200? I would hate to have to lose the Fox Soccer Channel and have to pay more to watch some Champions League on Fox Sports 1. I hope it'll be available in the cheaper packages considering NBC wants to compete with ESPN, which is in the cheapest package and available to all Dish users. Thanks!

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

No one knows anything yet since they FOX doesn't have contracts with hardly anyone to carry it yet, including Directv and DIsh.  Till they announce an agreement, no knows knows what tier ti would be in.  Teir placement is likely one of the things being negotiated

#13 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

We do not have any information about FOX Sports 1 yet.  If anyone is interested in the channel, please PM me your account number and I can provide information on your interest to our programming department.  Thanks.

Do you guys know if Fox Sports 1 will be available for customers with the AT 120+ and Multi Sports Pack, or if it'll just replace Speed in the AT 200? I would hate to have to lose the Fox Soccer Channel and have to pay more to watch some Champions League on Fox Sports 1. I hope it'll be available in the cheaper packages considering NBC wants to compete with ESPN, which is in the cheapest package and available to all Dish users. Thanks!

#14 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

The live programming Fox plans to show on FS1 is, in large part, being stolen from the Fox broadcast network.  In other words, the total value of the programming with regards to live sports will not change.  So will Fox gladly reduce their carriage fees for the broadcast networks?  Fat chance.  Are they reducing affiliation fees to compensate their "partners"?  No, this is just another attempt to wring more money out of their viewers.  And it will likely work, just as most other attempts have.

That's a good thing to know.  I hate it when a NASCAR race makes the 10 PM news run late.  OTOH I'd also hate it if The NFL that is currently on FOX were to go to cable.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

I would not worry about the nfl moving until contracts are up again.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,656 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

As long as I get the channel I really don't care where the sport ends up. The challenge is making sure I can still get the channel. My local broadcast stations are independent of the networks ... so DISH has to negotiate with the station owner groups for carriage. Speed/FS1 is controlled by the network. Should I worry more about my local station groups telling DISH they cannot carry local channels or about Fox telling DISH they cannot carry network channels?

There comes a point where one notices the digit at the beginning of their DISH or other cable/satellite bill. Where did it come from and why is it getting bigger? I remember when there were only two digits before the decimal point. That first one kept getting bigger and bigger until it was replaced by a third digit.

The conflict over getting all the content I want vs paying for it is getting bigger. I can understand why more and more viewers are investigating and investing in ways of getting content without paying ... including methods that are not authorized by the content owners or distributors. (Although "it costs too much" is never an excuse for stealing content.)

I hope that a good deal can be made with FS1 for carriage and I can still see the sport I wish to see. I just wish my wages were going up as fast as my cable/satellite bill. :(
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

I would not worry about the nfl moving until contracts are up again.

I would not worry about the NFL moving.  The reality is that the NFL recognizes that their popularity in large part comes from their availability on non-pay channels.  They are the only sport I know of that insists that pay channels sell rights to local broadcast affiliates in the home town of teams playing, so that every fan in the home market can watch the game without having to have the pay channel.  They would give preference to a contract with ABC, CBS or NBC over one with Fox Sports One.  It would be quite a coup for CW to get NFL carriage.  Remember the howls when Fox first got the NFC?  Fox was a niche network with a smaller set of affiliates.  Now, nobody blinks twice when Fox gets the rights to a major sporting event.  The day Fox tries to move their NFL programming to pay TV is the day it will be time for a new upstart in town.

Exhibit B is the new deal that NASCAR signed with NBC.  Included in that deal was the insistence that NBC carry many more races on broadcast television than ESPN and TNT did.  NASCAR has lost popularity as ABC shifted more races over to ESPN.  

Sports that have moved from the broadcast channels to the pay channels have done so at the cost of the popularity of their sport.  They may be making more money, but they have fewer fans.  The NFL has enough money they have no reason to distance themselves from their fans.  NASCAR had enough fans, lost some of them, and now is making moves to woo them back.  The NFL will not repeat NASCAR's error.

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

I would not worry about the NFL moving. The reality is that the NFL recognizes that their popularity in large part comes from their availability on non-pay channels. They are the only sport I know of that insists that pay channels sell rights to local broadcast affiliates in the home town of teams playing, so that every fan in the home market can watch the game without having to have the pay channel. They would give preference to a contract with ABC, CBS or NBC over one with Fox Sports One. It would be quite a coup for CW to get NFL carriage. Remember the howls when Fox first got the NFC? Fox was a niche network with a smaller set of affiliates. Now, nobody blinks twice when Fox gets the rights to a major sporting event. The day Fox tries to move their NFL programming to pay TV is the day it will be time for a new upstart in town.

Exhibit B is the new deal that NASCAR signed with NBC. Included in that deal was the insistence that NBC carry many more races on broadcast television than ESPN and TNT did. NASCAR has lost popularity as ABC shifted more races over to ESPN.

Sports that have moved from the broadcast channels to the pay channels have done so at the cost of the popularity of their sport. They may be making more money, but they have fewer fans. The NFL has enough money they have no reason to distance themselves from their fans. NASCAR had enough fans, lost some of them, and now is making moves to woo them back. The NFL will not repeat NASCAR's error.

Totally agree. Very well said.

#19 OFFLINE   JYW10

JYW10

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Any news on whether Dish is going to carry it and what package it'll be in? Thanks!

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,008 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

We aren't likely to know anything until the change happens.

Right now Dish carries the channel... under its current name and format...  does the format/name change supercede the current agreement?  IF not, then Dish carries it by default until that contract ends.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

spam firewall