Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fox Sports 1

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

The professional news sources online (and those who quote their content) are saying that the change is enough to trigger a renegotiation of contract. Providers are contracted to carry a motor sports channel ... FS 1 will be a general sports channel.

The good news from the professional reporters is that Fox is contracted to provide a motor sports channel. So it is likely that if no deal is made for FS 1 the motorsports content will continue on "Speed". This has happened several times. The quality and content of the "grandfathered Speed" is yet to be seen. Will it contain anything live or new or will it turn in to a loop of the same old programs that Speed airs between the good stuff? Some of Speed's current filler is expected to go to other channels ... so they may lose the right to use it even as filler.

Best case for a Plan B would be Speed continuing with their live and current content until all affiliate contracts expire over time or are rewritten as FS 1. But Plan A is the better outcome: Get FS 1!
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

Poking around the web this afternoon ...

All about FOX Soccer, FOX Sports 1
Updated Aug 4, 2013 2:00 PM ET
http://msn.foxsports...sports-1-080113

What is FOX Sports 1?
FOX Sports 1 is America’s newest sports network, a national 24-hour cable channel being launched by FOX on August 17, 2013.

What is FOX Sports 2?
FOX Sports 2 is an extension of FOX Sports 1 that features live coverage of sporting events and connects with fans through entertaining studio shows and original programming.

There is also a link to the Fox Sports 1 website which includes news and a schedule for the first couple of weeks:
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsports1

From the FAQ page on that site:

What happens to SPEED programming when FOX Sports 1 launches?
FOX Sports continues its major commitment to motorsports programming with top-level NASCAR events, including NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races; popular programs like NASCAR RaceDay, NASCAR Victory Lane and NASCAR RaceHub; events from around the world, including Monster Energy Supercross; MotoGP World Championship; the ARCA Racing Series; the famed 24 Hours of Le Mans; and the popular Barrett-Jackson Collector Car auctions on a FOX channel.

Note that they say "on a Fox channel" ... not specifically on FS1.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

So we're less than 2 weeks away from finding out what will happen.  I hope Dish figures out a way to get/keep the channel as a lot of my ACC sports have been on the FOX RSNs so I wouldn't be surprised to see something pop up on FS1 at some point.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#24 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

I would not worry about the NFL ......

Guess you didn't notice Monday night football and now some games on Thursday are now Cable only. And the talk about Sunday night at least for some games going Cable.....

#25 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

Guess you didn't notice Monday night football and now some games on Thursday are now Cable only. And the talk about Sunday night at least for some games going Cable.....

I noticed.  The NFL has allowed limited cable exposure in the past.  But consider: if your city's team is playing in the game - home or away - it is available on free broadcast television.  What other sport does that?

#26 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Remember the blacked out home games that are not sell outs.

#27 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

For the Dish Internet Response Team... Add my name to the list of folks that no longer want sports channels forced down on us. Add the channel, but don't ask everyone to pay for it. 

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#28 OFFLINE   JYW10

JYW10

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Any possibility that Fox Sports 1 will be available to those of us with the AT120+ and multi sports package? Currently, I don't have the Speed Channel and with the Fox Soccer Channel likely to shut down I would still like to get Champions League soccer coverage. Thanks!

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

For the Dish Internet Response Team... Add my name to the list of folks that no longer want sports channels forced down on us. Add the channel, but don't ask everyone to pay for it. 

I feel the same about all the other channels that are in my package...  I don't want to pay for those channels that I don't watch either.

A la cart discussions really are their own topic... and IF sports channels like these ever did separate from the main tiers and people got their "a la cart" ways... they might not like what they end up with as many of their favorite channels could no longer survive.

#30 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

Ahh but a huge difference. Sports channels cost much more than what most regular channels do. The cost of sports channels in the packages add much more to the cost overall. That's the problem, and it's not just posters here saying it, the media has had several articles about it, and other carriers are feeling the pinch specifically from sports channels. Direct TV is more and more charging a surcharge for some markets because of sports costs. 

Edited by tampa8, 07 August 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Ahh but a huge difference. Sports channels cost much more than what most regular channels do. The cost of sports channels in the packages add much more to the cost overall. That's the problem, and it's not just posters here saying it, the media has had several articles about it, and other carriers are feeling the pinch specifically from sports channels. Direct TV is more and more charging a surcharge for some markets because of sports costs. 

The sports channels cost more because more people want them...  IF any of the other channels see their viewers increase, trust me, they ask for more money too...

#32 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

6 days away now.  I have a bad feeling that I will be missing Oregon's opening game this season because of this.

#33 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Profit margins are much smaller that the cable channels. ESPN has one of the lowest. The sports channels get called greedy, when in reality, the non sports stations are the greedy ones.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#34 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

Bad news for Dish subs (or DirecTV subs or TWC subs) hoping to watch Fox Sports 1: Still no deal.

http://www.sportsbus...1-Carriage.aspx

"The three distributors said they are still in discussions with Fox to carry the channel, which launches Saturday. Distributors that do not cut a deal for FS1 by Saturday will continue to carry Speed, though it will be a stripped down version of the motorsports channel."

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#35 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Profit margins are much smaller that the cable channels. ESPN has one of the lowest. The sports channels get called greedy, when in reality, the non sports stations are the greedy ones.

You're way, way off the mark.  ESPN is by FAR the most profitable business that Disney has.  Half of Disney's 115B valuation is attributable to ESPN.

As for margins, DTV's 2Q13 operating (EBIT) margin was 20%.  This is an exceptional figure.

But ESPN's....

38% operating margin in 2011.

http://beta.fool.com...cash-cow/16067/

38%!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing.  They print cash at ESPN, at the expense of the NonSportsFan.

Edited by Gloria_Chavez, 12 August 2013 - 04:11 PM.

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#36 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Lets hope Dish doesn't do the same.

G Chavez made a good point.

So when is "enough" ENOUGH.

I'd be willing to bet a handfull of my preffered stations don't cost more than a sports pack.

So I have to pay for the stations I don't watch,  like religious, shopping, cooking, reality based, info-mercial, etc, etc...

At least cost increase is not a big issue like espn, or fox sports, which I do not watch either.

chris

#37 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

You know, I was considering upgrading my service to to AT120+ come September to catch some college football, but I am reconsidering that, just to protest the constant drone for more and more money.  Maybe I'll just spend that $10 per month on ice cream or something else that is unhealthy.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#38 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

The list of companies carrying Fox Sports One is growing ... but the top three companies are missing.

I wonder if Comcast and the other companies who have signed required "most favored nation" clauses that make their deal as good as the best deal signed? The MFN deals mean that Comcast could agree to the requested 80c now and $1.50 in the future, but if anyone gets a better deal Comcast's price would be reduced to whatever the other company negotiated.

There are still a couple of days to work this out before content is lost. The stripped version of Speed isn't worth watching (six hour loops of reruns each day).

Some of the content will be run or rerun on Fuel (channel 398). Looking forward in the guide to next Wednesday the NASCAR Truck race qualifying and race are on Fuel (in glorious SD).

#39 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

I would expect Comcat to have gone after that clause, but others like Charter I would doubt got that type of deal. Having said that the fact some of the content will air again on either Fox Sports 2 or Fox soccer plus may be part of the reason the 3 remaining holdouts in the top 7 or 8 companies are still holding out. The value of the channel is being lessened by putting the content in other places too.

The list of companies carrying Fox Sports One is growing ... but the top three companies are missing.

I wonder if Comcast and the other companies who have signed required "most favored nation" clauses that make their deal as good as the best deal signed? The MFN deals mean that Comcast could agree to the requested 80c now and $1.50 in the future, but if anyone gets a better deal Comcast's price would be reduced to whatever the other company negotiated.

There are still a couple of days to work this out before content is lost. The stripped version of Speed isn't worth watching (six hour loops of reruns each day).

Some of the content will be run or rerun on Fuel (channel 398). Looking forward in the guide to next Wednesday the NASCAR Truck race qualifying and race are on Fuel (in glorious SD).

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#40 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

You have it exactly backwards with ESPN being one of THE most profitable and costs DISH and other carriers about the most.

http://www.forbes.co...rth-40-billion/

Edited by tampa8, 13 August 2013 - 09:06 PM.

spam firewall