Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fox Sports 1

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Remember the blacked out home games that are not sell outs.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

For the Dish Internet Response Team... Add my name to the list of folks that no longer want sports channels forced down on us. Add the channel, but don't ask everyone to pay for it. 

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#28 OFFLINE   JYW10

JYW10

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Any possibility that Fox Sports 1 will be available to those of us with the AT120+ and multi sports package? Currently, I don't have the Speed Channel and with the Fox Soccer Channel likely to shut down I would still like to get Champions League soccer coverage. Thanks!

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,436 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

For the Dish Internet Response Team... Add my name to the list of folks that no longer want sports channels forced down on us. Add the channel, but don't ask everyone to pay for it. 

I feel the same about all the other channels that are in my package...  I don't want to pay for those channels that I don't watch either.

A la cart discussions really are their own topic... and IF sports channels like these ever did separate from the main tiers and people got their "a la cart" ways... they might not like what they end up with as many of their favorite channels could no longer survive.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#30 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

Ahh but a huge difference. Sports channels cost much more than what most regular channels do. The cost of sports channels in the packages add much more to the cost overall. That's the problem, and it's not just posters here saying it, the media has had several articles about it, and other carriers are feeling the pinch specifically from sports channels. Direct TV is more and more charging a surcharge for some markets because of sports costs. 

Edited by tampa8, 07 August 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,436 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Ahh but a huge difference. Sports channels cost much more than what most regular channels do. The cost of sports channels in the packages add much more to the cost overall. That's the problem, and it's not just posters here saying it, the media has had several articles about it, and other carriers are feeling the pinch specifically from sports channels. Direct TV is more and more charging a surcharge for some markets because of sports costs. 

The sports channels cost more because more people want them...  IF any of the other channels see their viewers increase, trust me, they ask for more money too...

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#32 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

6 days away now.  I have a bad feeling that I will be missing Oregon's opening game this season because of this.

#33 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,369 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Profit margins are much smaller that the cable channels. ESPN has one of the lowest. The sports channels get called greedy, when in reality, the non sports stations are the greedy ones.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#34 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

Bad news for Dish subs (or DirecTV subs or TWC subs) hoping to watch Fox Sports 1: Still no deal.

http://www.sportsbus...1-Carriage.aspx

"The three distributors said they are still in discussions with Fox to carry the channel, which launches Saturday. Distributors that do not cut a deal for FS1 by Saturday will continue to carry Speed, though it will be a stripped down version of the motorsports channel."

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#35 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Profit margins are much smaller that the cable channels. ESPN has one of the lowest. The sports channels get called greedy, when in reality, the non sports stations are the greedy ones.

You're way, way off the mark.  ESPN is by FAR the most profitable business that Disney has.  Half of Disney's 115B valuation is attributable to ESPN.

As for margins, DTV's 2Q13 operating (EBIT) margin was 20%.  This is an exceptional figure.

But ESPN's....

38% operating margin in 2011.

http://beta.fool.com...cash-cow/16067/

38%!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing.  They print cash at ESPN, at the expense of the NonSportsFan.

Edited by Gloria_Chavez, 12 August 2013 - 04:11 PM.

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#36 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Lets hope Dish doesn't do the same.

G Chavez made a good point.

So when is "enough" ENOUGH.

I'd be willing to bet a handfull of my preffered stations don't cost more than a sports pack.

So I have to pay for the stations I don't watch,  like religious, shopping, cooking, reality based, info-mercial, etc, etc...

At least cost increase is not a big issue like espn, or fox sports, which I do not watch either.

chris

#37 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

You know, I was considering upgrading my service to to AT120+ come September to catch some college football, but I am reconsidering that, just to protest the constant drone for more and more money.  Maybe I'll just spend that $10 per month on ice cream or something else that is unhealthy.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#38 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,408 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

The list of companies carrying Fox Sports One is growing ... but the top three companies are missing.

I wonder if Comcast and the other companies who have signed required "most favored nation" clauses that make their deal as good as the best deal signed? The MFN deals mean that Comcast could agree to the requested 80c now and $1.50 in the future, but if anyone gets a better deal Comcast's price would be reduced to whatever the other company negotiated.

There are still a couple of days to work this out before content is lost. The stripped version of Speed isn't worth watching (six hour loops of reruns each day).

Some of the content will be run or rerun on Fuel (channel 398). Looking forward in the guide to next Wednesday the NASCAR Truck race qualifying and race are on Fuel (in glorious SD).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#39 OFFLINE   Mariah2014

Mariah2014

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 836 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

I would expect Comcat to have gone after that clause, but others like Charter I would doubt got that type of deal. Having said that the fact some of the content will air again on either Fox Sports 2 or Fox soccer plus may be part of the reason the 3 remaining holdouts in the top 7 or 8 companies are still holding out. The value of the channel is being lessened by putting the content in other places too.

The list of companies carrying Fox Sports One is growing ... but the top three companies are missing.

I wonder if Comcast and the other companies who have signed required "most favored nation" clauses that make their deal as good as the best deal signed? The MFN deals mean that Comcast could agree to the requested 80c now and $1.50 in the future, but if anyone gets a better deal Comcast's price would be reduced to whatever the other company negotiated.

There are still a couple of days to work this out before content is lost. The stripped version of Speed isn't worth watching (six hour loops of reruns each day).

Some of the content will be run or rerun on Fuel (channel 398). Looking forward in the guide to next Wednesday the NASCAR Truck race qualifying and race are on Fuel (in glorious SD).

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#40 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

You have it exactly backwards with ESPN being one of THE most profitable and costs DISH and other carriers about the most.

http://www.forbes.co...rth-40-billion/

Edited by tampa8, 13 August 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#41 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

I believe Dish Network will carry Fox Sports 2 when it rolls out this Saturday on the channel that Fuel TV is currently located.

#42 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

I feel the same about all the other channels that are in my package...  I don't want to pay for those channels that I don't watch either.

A la cart discussions really are their own topic... and IF sports channels like these ever did separate from the main tiers and people got their "a la cart" ways... they might not like what they end up with as many of their favorite channels could no longer survive.

There are several channels in the basic packages that I don't watch, but I have to pay for them.  What ticks me off is when one of these channels are dropped, but my monthly charge stays the same.  Cloo is a perfect example.....it was dropped, but I see no reduction in my bill.  The same when I lost some of locals due to dispute

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#43 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,884 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

There are several channels in the basic packages that I don't watch, but I have to pay for them.  What ticks me off is when one of these channels are dropped, but my monthly charge stays the same.  Cloo is a perfect example.....it was dropped, but I see no reduction in my bill.  The same when I lost some of locals due to dispute

It's a blue moon when any provider will make such an adjustment, but it cuts both ways: Your bill doesn't go up (right away!) when a content provider renews at a higher rate. Or when channels are added. 

• tsmacro likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#44 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,325 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Your channel package doesn't go down in price the minute that a channel is pulled just like it doesn't go up immediately when a channel is added. However it isn't unusual if you call Dish and let them know that you feel you're not getting your money's worth because they removed a channel that you like and are missing for them to issue you some kind of small credit or offer a promo to you.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#45 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

according to an article from NY Daily News' site, it looks like Time Warner Cable will be the one trying to hold out while Dish and Direct are expected to have it on launch day. but this is pure speculation so take it with a grain of salt:

http://www.nydailyne...icle-1.1425993 

Edited by Willh, 14 August 2013 - 01:17 PM.

Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#46 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,436 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

I would think that IF Dish is close to an agreement, we might see something positive (like a test channel) on the uplink report soon.  They can do these things same-day... but usually like to test an uplink for a few days before launch... so it would be a semi-positive sign if today's uplink shows any action.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#47 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,369 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

You're way, way off the mark.  ESPN is by FAR the most profitable business that Disney has.  Half of Disney's 115B valuation is attributable to ESPN.

As for margins, DTV's 2Q13 operating (EBIT) margin was 20%.  This is an exceptional figure.

But ESPN's....

38% operating margin in 2011.

http://beta.fool.com...cash-cow/16067/

38%!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing.  They print cash at ESPN, at the expense of the NonSportsFan.

You have it exactly backwards with ESPN being one of THE most profitable and costs DISH and other carriers about the most.

http://www.forbes.co...rth-40-billion/

I misspoke when I said low/small profit margin. I meant cash flow margin.

What it shows is just how fat cable networks have become. According to its research, more than 30 networks have margins of 50% or more topped by Nickelodeon, with a 64.6% margin and the Food Network at 60.5%.

"In addition, sports networks typically have lower cash flow margins than general entertainment and other genres," the reports says. "ESPN, for instance, which makes up almost 15% of industry revenue, has a cash flow margin of just 25.3%."

http://www.tvnewsche...t-retrans-value

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#48 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,408 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

I would think that IF Dish is close to an agreement, we might see something positive (like a test channel) on the uplink report soon.  They can do these things same-day... but usually like to test an uplink for a few days before launch... so it would be a semi-positive sign if today's uplink shows any action.

FS 1 is replacing Speed ... so the only Uplink Activity I expect is a name change (at 6am or 7am Saturday morning).

The backend change from the feed that will actually be FS 1 and the feed that will remain Speed and play the six hour loops shouldn't affect the Uplink Activity we see.

There may be a "package flag change" if FS 1 ends up in ESPN's package (AT120) instead of AT200. Fuel TV in AT250 may also move down depending on what the final contract is.

If there is a test channel for Fuel TV HD that would show up in Uplink Activity ... but I'm expecting an announcement before any Uplink Activity.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#49 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Per the LA Times the carrage deal is done:

http://www.latimes.c...0,5466870.story

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using DBSTalk mobile app

• PBowie likes this
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#50 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,884 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Yes, Hooo-Aaaaaaah! 

AND, we get to see Regis Philbin. What a bonus!!! 

:nono2:

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...