Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fox Sports 1

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

I believe Dish Network will carry Fox Sports 2 when it rolls out this Saturday on the channel that Fuel TV is currently located.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

I feel the same about all the other channels that are in my package...  I don't want to pay for those channels that I don't watch either.

A la cart discussions really are their own topic... and IF sports channels like these ever did separate from the main tiers and people got their "a la cart" ways... they might not like what they end up with as many of their favorite channels could no longer survive.

There are several channels in the basic packages that I don't watch, but I have to pay for them.  What ticks me off is when one of these channels are dropped, but my monthly charge stays the same.  Cloo is a perfect example.....it was dropped, but I see no reduction in my bill.  The same when I lost some of locals due to dispute

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#43 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

There are several channels in the basic packages that I don't watch, but I have to pay for them.  What ticks me off is when one of these channels are dropped, but my monthly charge stays the same.  Cloo is a perfect example.....it was dropped, but I see no reduction in my bill.  The same when I lost some of locals due to dispute

It's a blue moon when any provider will make such an adjustment, but it cuts both ways: Your bill doesn't go up (right away!) when a content provider renews at a higher rate. Or when channels are added. 

• tsmacro likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#44 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Your channel package doesn't go down in price the minute that a channel is pulled just like it doesn't go up immediately when a channel is added. However it isn't unusual if you call Dish and let them know that you feel you're not getting your money's worth because they removed a channel that you like and are missing for them to issue you some kind of small credit or offer a promo to you.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#45 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

according to an article from NY Daily News' site, it looks like Time Warner Cable will be the one trying to hold out while Dish and Direct are expected to have it on launch day. but this is pure speculation so take it with a grain of salt:

http://www.nydailyne...icle-1.1425993 

Edited by Willh, 14 August 2013 - 01:17 PM.

Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#46 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

I would think that IF Dish is close to an agreement, we might see something positive (like a test channel) on the uplink report soon.  They can do these things same-day... but usually like to test an uplink for a few days before launch... so it would be a semi-positive sign if today's uplink shows any action.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#47 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

You're way, way off the mark.  ESPN is by FAR the most profitable business that Disney has.  Half of Disney's 115B valuation is attributable to ESPN.

As for margins, DTV's 2Q13 operating (EBIT) margin was 20%.  This is an exceptional figure.

But ESPN's....

38% operating margin in 2011.

http://beta.fool.com...cash-cow/16067/

38%!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing.  They print cash at ESPN, at the expense of the NonSportsFan.

You have it exactly backwards with ESPN being one of THE most profitable and costs DISH and other carriers about the most.

http://www.forbes.co...rth-40-billion/

I misspoke when I said low/small profit margin. I meant cash flow margin.

What it shows is just how fat cable networks have become. According to its research, more than 30 networks have margins of 50% or more topped by Nickelodeon, with a 64.6% margin and the Food Network at 60.5%.

"In addition, sports networks typically have lower cash flow margins than general entertainment and other genres," the reports says. "ESPN, for instance, which makes up almost 15% of industry revenue, has a cash flow margin of just 25.3%."

http://www.tvnewsche...t-retrans-value

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#48 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,759 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

I would think that IF Dish is close to an agreement, we might see something positive (like a test channel) on the uplink report soon.  They can do these things same-day... but usually like to test an uplink for a few days before launch... so it would be a semi-positive sign if today's uplink shows any action.

FS 1 is replacing Speed ... so the only Uplink Activity I expect is a name change (at 6am or 7am Saturday morning).

The backend change from the feed that will actually be FS 1 and the feed that will remain Speed and play the six hour loops shouldn't affect the Uplink Activity we see.

There may be a "package flag change" if FS 1 ends up in ESPN's package (AT120) instead of AT200. Fuel TV in AT250 may also move down depending on what the final contract is.

If there is a test channel for Fuel TV HD that would show up in Uplink Activity ... but I'm expecting an announcement before any Uplink Activity.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#49 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Per the LA Times the carrage deal is done:

http://www.latimes.c...0,5466870.story

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using DBSTalk mobile app

• PBowie likes this
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#50 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Yes, Hooo-Aaaaaaah! 

AND, we get to see Regis Philbin. What a bonus!!! 

:nono2:

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#51 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,759 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Yay!
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#52 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

I hadn't thought that the replacing of existing channels angle...  It sounds (from what I've read) like FS1 will replace Speed and FS2 will replace Fuel...  that being the case, maybe they will be using the proven transmission paths and not have to do much testing until the last minute... so I guess we could get a Friday surprise in a late night uplink IF these deals are really done.

#53 OFFLINE   kingram52

kingram52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

They have reached agreement TODAY with FOX to carry FOX Sports 1, details to follow.

#54 OFFLINE   kingram52

kingram52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

http://www.latimes.c...0,5466870.story

Fox wants their channel in the basic package , so we will see saturday where its going.

Edited by kingram52, 14 August 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#55 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thank goodness that speculation is over. Now what will the channel numbers become?

#56 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,759 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

150 is Speed and will easily become Fox Sports 1

151 is open and could easily become Fox Sports 2 (Fuel)

The ads running on Speed say to look for Fox Sports 1 on the same channel number as Speed.

(Ads that have been playing all week.)

#57 OFFLINE   JYW10

JYW10

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

Any chance FS1 will be available to AT120+ and Multi Sport package customers?

#58 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

As I carefully re-read some things...  I'm actually not seeing anything that mentions FS2 currently being part of the agreement.  Surely it is... but every article I see (maybe they are all referring to the same original report earlier today?) specifically mentions "an agreement to carry FS1"...  Heck, they don't even mention if HD carriage is part of this deal, though surely it is.

I have a feeling like we aren't going to know until Friday about FS1 HD or not, and maybe still not about FS2 then...  and if Dish follows previous deals they might put FS1 in a free preview for a couple of weeks so we still might not know for sure what package it is going to be in going forward.

We *should* know by Friday...  but if this was as last-minute as it seems... who knows when the official word will get out.  I keep checking the FS1 Web site and they don't have any recent FOX press releases where I would expect to find some of this kind of info... which means either they are slow to update OR the final dots and eyes aren't done yet on the contracts.

• kingram52 likes this

#59 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,759 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

The deal isn't finalized ... but Fuel's EPG has been showing the expected "FS 2" programming starting Saturday. With all the talk about "the one", FS 2 is under the radar.

I suspect some of the details being worked out include channel placement for FS 2 and package level for the channels. If Fox Sports wants to compete with ESPN they need to be at ESPN's level ... which means DISH needs to deliver the channel to ~4 million more subscribers than receive Speed (and if FS 2 comes along for the ride it would jump two tiers).

I'll be surprised if FS 1 does not end up in AT120. FS 2 is more of a specialty channel that might get sacrificed to be at AT250/Sports Pack. But not having FS 1 in AT120 does not deliver DISH's 14 million subscribers to complete the 90 million subscribers.

• JYW10 likes this

#60 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

Dish reps on Facebook just confirmed the FS1 deal. It will as expected be on channel 150 and AT 200 and up package. Still no " official " response on FS2

Edited by rtd2, 15 August 2013 - 01:53 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...