Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fox Sports 1

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

Now they(dish) are saying on Facebook
FS2 will be in AT120 Ch398 SD only.
FS1 will be in AT200. Ch150 HD
FXX Ch390 In HD no pkg indicated - Sept 2nd

Edited by rtd2, 15 August 2013 - 04:12 PM.

• kingram52 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   kingram52

kingram52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Just got off the phone with Dish , they say Fox sports 1 will indeed be in the 200 pkg, and FOX2 will be in the 250 pkg ,Fox can't be happy about that being that ESPN is in the 120 pkg,  bummer so now I have to spend $15 more a month to watch the UFC, I guess I should of stayed with DirecTV.

Edited by kingram52, 15 August 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#63 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Fox caved and took what they could get, which was allow them to have the channel at the cost and location of what they were getting for Speed.

Just got off the phone with Dish , they say Fox sports 1 will indeed be in the 200 pkg, and FOX2 will be in the 250 pkg ,Fox can't be happy about that being that ESPN is in the 120 pkg,  bummer so now I have to spend $15 more a month to watch the UFC, I guess I should of stayed with DirecTV.

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#64 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,520 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

It looks more like an OWN type of deal. OWN thought it could cancel the Discovery Health carriage contracts and renegotiate an Oprah sized fee for the new channel. They ended up getting carriage under their continuing contract.

Speed and Fuel have contracts for carriage. Just hold the status quo, keep calm and carry on.

When they prove their worth they can renegotiate for what they want (or at least what they can get).

If I were FS1 I'd be pushing for AT120. How can you be the next ESPN without being in EVERY home?

If I were DISH I'd want a price freeze or reduction for moving Speed/FS 1 to AT120 (and the same for Fuel if moved). If DISH is paying ~23c per subscriber for 10 million (estimated) AT200 and above subscribers even paying ~23c per subscriber for all 14 million is an additional cost (40% increase to Fox) and it takes away one of the channels DISH uses to convince people to pay a more for AT200 instead of AT120 ... so they could end up paying more and collecting less.

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#65 OFFLINE   Steeloc15

Steeloc15

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

SD only for FS2??? Thought for sure the new deal would include adding HD for FS2.

#66 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,520 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

The way I read the releases, there is no new deal. Fox Sports 1 and 2 will be carried under the old deals. :)

DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#67 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,509 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

That's kind of what it sounds like to me too... they basically "renewed" Speed and Fuel but will be renaming them...  As has been said IF the channels prove themselves and find their audience, they may be able to negotiate better tiers in the future.

Kind of a disappointment that FS2 will only be in SD, though...  I hope nothing I want to watch will be on FS2.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#68 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,509 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hate to follow myself...  but the more I read online, the more it sounds like Dish, DirecTV, and Time Warner didn't really strike a deal after all for long-term carriage... but rather FOX wanted to have the eyes starting on launch day so they relented and agreed to allow FS1 + FS2 under already agreed upon terms for Speed and FuelTV... which means IF the channel is a flop, we're golden... but IF the channel picks up viewers and gets good ratings, expect FOX and everybody to be back at the table sooner rather than later.

#69 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,520 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:04 AM

Whenever the normal contract end date for Speed, Fuel and Fox Soccer comes up for each company.

It was my hope that "Grandfathered Speed" (the Speed channel for providers who did not sign a contract for FS 1) would be a channel that still carried the type of content on the current speed, Not six hour rerun loops of mostly "reality shows" but the motorsports coverage that is on Speed. "Grandfathered Speed" would not have the new non-motor sports content (UFC etc ...) but would have the content DISH and other companies agreed to carry.  Of course, based on the EPG for Speed starting Saturday (on Zap2It and the DISH receivers) it was going to be six hour rerun loops. Which for Fox was a good decision ... less viewers would spend the weekend calling the non-compliant cable and satellite companies if the normal programs were on.

The thought that Fox might be in breach of content if they reformatted Speed and removed the motorsports content probably helped Fox make the decision to allow carriers with a contract for Speed to get Fox Sports 1 without a new contract. That and their very public promise to be in 90 million homes. Gotta keep your promises.

For now, I don't believe any cable/satellite will be upset with getting the new content on FS 1, FS 2 and FXX. Some viewers may be upset by the content moving to Fuel/FS 2 (especially those who don't get Fuel in HD - and Fuel being in a more expensive package doesn't help). But it seems the best is moving from Fuel and Fox Soccer TO FS 1 - which makes content available to people who may not want to pay for the higher package.

So when is the Speed contract up? Will it be at the same time as Fuel? That is when the war will begin. :)

But at least by then there will be viewership data to look at ... not just promises.

#70 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

I'm all for continued carriage until we see what eyes they bring to the table.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#71 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

I don't watch sports regularary. i just watch the World Series & Super Bowl.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#72 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,520 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

It would be nice to have the right EPG ...

#73 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,509 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

It would be nice to have the right EPG ...

I just said that (in a different way) in the uplink thread :)

I wanted to see what shows are on... no sports that I care about yet I know... but might want to see some of their new studio shows to see what I like... but hard to do that when the schedule is not updated.

#74 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,509 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Fox Backs Down From FS1 Asking Price In Order To Get Deals With All Major Carriers

"The frenzied rush that saw several of the country’s biggest distributors agree to carry FS1 at launch occurred only after Fox surprisingly backed off its asking price of $0.80 per subscriber per month, according to multiple high-level sources. Cablevision, Cox, DirecTV, Dish Network and Time Warner Cable agreed to carry the new, heavily promoted all-sports channel, but only at the same rate they were paying for the previous channel, Speed, which was $0.23 per subscriber per month. Fox told the distributors that it would convert Speed into FS1 and allow distributors with existing Speed deals to carry it at Speed’s rate, or at least close to it, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the talks. None of the distributors would comment beyond official statements."

Full article here.

Seems to confirm what we have basically been saying...  FOX wasn't making any headway towards new contracts so rather than have egg on their face they decided to do a workaround and wait until later to have the fight.  Now I'm wondering when the Speed/Fuel contracts with Dish and DirecTV will expire and we will have the real fight for carriage.

#75 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

Seems to confirm what we have basically been saying...  FOX wasn't making any headway towards new contracts so rather than have egg on their face they decided to do a workaround and wait until later to have the fight.  Now I'm wondering when the Speed/Fuel contracts with Dish and DirecTV will expire and we will have the real fight for carriage.

It's the classic chicken-and-the-egg problem.  "We're going to have lots of quality programs, but we need the money to buy the rights to them."  "But nobody watches your channel."  "That's because we can't buy quality programs."  Except this is Fox, and they have more than enough money to subsidize the channel at launch to get it in as many homes as possible.  What they have to do is deliver high ratings, which will indicate high demand, and then providers will be willing to pay almost 400% more for it over Speed.  What hurts FS1 in this matter is that Speed is typically not in basic packages, and it remains to be seen if many customers will upgrade their packages to get it.  Without enough customers getting it, they won't get high enough ratings to justify the increase.

Personally, as an AT250 customer, I don't really have to worry about it.  And yes, eventually FS1 is going to have some programming I want to watch on it.  Maybe even a lot.  But it's just content that I was getting elsewhere already, so it translates into yet another price increase for the same programming.  Just like I was getting all the Big10 football I needed before the Big10 Channel came along, but now I'm paying a lot more for it.

#76 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

OK, I switched over to FS1/ Channel 150 just now, and the channel is indeed FS1. And the schedule at 11:30 AM CST shows what it should be. However, they are advertising on the web site for FS1 various programs later in the day, including a live UFC match tonight at 7 CST, but I can't set the DVR to record it because the DIsh schedule shows what look like Speed shows at that time (Pumped?)

Any idea what's going on with the schedule? Would love to be able to record some things on the new channel! Any DIRT members that can provide insight?

#77 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,520 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

The EPG schedule is the one provided by Tribune Media Services for "Speed". It is not the correct schedule for "FS 1".

Hopefully DISH will get the correct schedule loaded but based on past performance it may be next week.

(DISH didn't even bother to change the channel name this morning.)

DISH did manage to add FS 1 and FS 2 to their DISH Perks site as new channels. But the EPG/uplink has not changed. :(

#78 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

The EPG schedule is the one provided by Tribune Media Services for "Speed". It is not the correct schedule for "FS 1".

Hopefully DISH will get the correct schedule loaded but based on past performance it may be next week.

(DISH didn't even bother to change the channel name this morning.)

DISH did manage to add FS 1 and FS 2 to their DISH Perks site as new channels. But the EPG/uplink has not changed. :(

OK, here is an ignorant question - I'm so spoiled by the simple DVR options - how do I set up the DVR to record the UFC fight that comes on at 7 CST tonight on 150 if I can't click on the program in the guide and choose to record it?

#79 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

OK, here is an ignorant question - I'm so spoiled by the simple DVR options - how do I set up the DVR to record the UFC fight that comes on at 7 CST tonight on 150 if I can't click on the program in the guide and choose to record it?

OK, never mind, looked up via Google and set up a manual timer for 7:00 PM to 10:30 PM (CST) on 150. Hopefully that works, and I'll just check Fox Sports 1's website until they get the schedule fixed on Dish.

#80 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,520 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

I'm glad you found it.  I set a couple of manual timers for this morning's coverage (knowing that they would stick even if DISH fixed the EPG). It looks like I'll probably need to set more for Monday. :(

spam firewall