Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Emmy's: I'm confused

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,325 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

The first thing I had to contend with is that a thread was started on this year's Emmy nomination in the Netflix forum. IMHO Netflix is, at best, on its way to becoming a "network" and I wasn't looking for an Emmy thread in an HBO forum, the network that has dominated the Emmy's in the last decade, much less in the Netflix forum.

So I'll start a thread here in the TV Show Talk Forum about the Primetime Emmy® Awards assuming that I now know what "television" is The rules say:

Programs (and individual achievements within them) are eligible for nomination if they were originally aired or originally transmitted during the eligibility year in any primetime period (6:00 PM - 2:00 AM) (i) by broadcast to at least 50% of the total potential U.S. television audience or, (ii) by pay/basic cable transmissions (including by way of example so-called basic cable, pay cable, pay television, pay-per-view, interactive cable and broadband) to markets representing at least 50% or more of households in the United States.

A show that airs on Netflix has now been honored by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences with a nomination. So I assume that any video made for entertainment to be electronically delivered to home and/or personal electronic devices is considered in the genre of "television" and is eligible if it was first uploaded and made available during primetime.

That will, of course, bring YouTube content into the class. I'm thinking about submitting to the Academy everything posted on YouTube during primetime in 2013-2014 for consideration. YouTube is offering independently produced original programming. :sure:

If that wasn't confusing enough, I stumbled across an article that noted this:

3. Kerry Washington: The recently wed Scandal actress earned her first Emmy nomination for playing crisis manager Olivia Pope, which aired only seven episodes during its debut last year on ABC.

Hmmm. I've watched 29 episodes of "Scandal", 22 of which were "originally presented 6:00 PM - 2:00 AM, June 1, 2012 - May 31, 2013." I can see why all of this gets confusing.

Like every year, I'm disappointed in some of the nominations or "oversights."

For instance Tatiana Maslany, the actress who with distinction plays seven different characters on the BBC America series "Orphan Black" and who won a Critics Choice Award in June, was not nominated. It doesn't help that she's a Canadian in a show produced by Temple Street Productions of Canada carried by BBCA. Nowhere in the résumé of the show is there a huge multi-national for-profit media corporation involved. (No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist ... well ... maybe a little.)

Anyway, here's the complete list of nominees.

Oh, and by the way, that Netflix "indy" show "House of Cards" has Media Rights Capital as its first named production company which has historical ties to Warner Bros. Pictures, Universal Pictures, HBO, etc.

Edited by phrelin, 18 July 2013 - 05:44 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 911 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

About those Netflix series nods: Internet fare was welcomed for eligibility beginning in 2008.

No comment from me on Kerry Washington's lead-actress [drama] nod for ABC's Scandal.

Tatiana Maslany not getting nominated in the same category as Washington isn't necessary attributed to BBC America's Black Orphan being a Canadian import. PBS' British import Downton Abbey, two years ago the best miniseries winner (over HBO's Mildred Pierce), is generously recognized with key nominations. Maslany more than likely missed out because the nominating members of the Academy either didn't inform themselves of her unique performance; or they just had more an attraction to the seven other actresses who made the cut. (I frankly find it insulting that Julianna Margulies, the 2011 winner and one of the absolute best, was passed over after three nominations for CBS' The Good Wife. I would have nominated Margulies, along with Maslany, instead of Downton Abbey's Michelle Dockery, Mad Men's Elisabeth Moss, Nashville's Connie Britton and, likely, House of Cards' Robin Wright. But one cannot go back for a redo.)

#3 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

It doesn't help that she's a Canadian in a show produced by Temple Street Productions of Canada carried by BBCA. Nowhere in the résumé of the show is there a huge multi-national for-profit media corporation involved.

BBC America is owned and operated by the BBC's BBC Worldwide division, which is close enough to being a multinational for-profit media corporation. (It's run as if it is one, with its profits going back to its parent.)

And it's distributed by Discovery Communications, which is definitely a huge multi-national for-profit media corporation.

They did run a bunch of "for your consideration" ads to promote a Tatiana Maslany Emmy nomination, both in trade publications and in some mainstream sources (e.g., the Los Angeles Times). Didn't work, obviously.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

spam firewall