Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Looking to replace HR24 with HR44. Do I need new dish/lnb's too?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   St8kout

St8kout

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Directv installed a new dish with SWM last year for my HR24 (there is only 1 line into the house and it's connected to the SWM box then the HR24). Do I also need new LNB's and/or dish?

Anything else I need to know before ordering the HR44 from Amazon?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,620 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

The SWM will handle 8 tuners.

With the HR44 having 5 and the HR24 having 2 , you will have 7 tuners.

You will probably need an approved splitter  and coax to run coax to the HR44.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

If you are replacing the 24 with the Genie, then you won't need a splitter. Disconnect the 24 and plug in the 44. When you activate the 44, DirecTV is going to send a recovery box for you to ship the 24 back.

#4 OFFLINE   St8kout

St8kout

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

If you are replacing the 24 with the Genie, then you won't need a splitter. Disconnect the 24 and plug in the 44. When you activate the 44, DirecTV is going to send a recovery box for you to ship the 24 back.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping for. Directv support would not give me a straight answer, only saying that when I order from them (instead of a retailer), the installer will take care of the rest, for an extra $49 of course.

Their installer almost screwed me last year when I moved into a new house. The HR24 lost the signal 2 days after the installation. Telephone support could not find the problem. The local installer's office said there would be another $49 service charge to come back out. Just on a hunch I checked the connectors and found all of them barely hand tight, including where he used a splitter outside for the DECA line. I could unscrew them without tools. I have to wonder if he did this on purpose hoping I would call him instead of Directv so he could pick up some extra cash.

Edited by St8kout, 18 July 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   St8kout

St8kout

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

The SWM will handle 8 tuners.

With the HR44 having 5 and the HR24 having 2 , you will have 7 tuners.

You will probably need an approved splitter  and coax to run coax to the HR44.

I only have one TV and one receiver. I assume you are referring to multiple receivers/TVs, right?

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

I only have one TV and one receiver. I assume you are referring to multiple receivers/TVs, right?

The SWM can handle up to 8 tuners as mentioned. Tuners do not necessarily correlate to the number of receivers/TV's that you have. A receiver (non-DVR) has only 1 tuner in it. A DVR (your HR24) has 2 tuners. The Genie's have 5 tuners. Whatever combination of receivers, DVRs, and Genies that you have, you cannot have more than 8 tuners with your current dish/LNB setup. If you are replacing the HR24 with the Genie, you would have 6 tuners (Genie's 5 plus the receiver's 1). I would actually recommend deactivating the receiver and keeping the HR24 along with the Genie. You'll be fine as you will have 7 tuners, but you will still have all your recordings on the HR24, you will be able to record up to 7 things at once, and will have lots of space to record stuff on. There would be no monthly cost difference either as you would already be paying the HD, DVR, and MRV fees whether you have the HR24 or the receiver along with the Genie.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

Didn't he just said that he has only one receiver (HR24)? So replacing it would just bump him to 5 tuners from 2 tuners currently from the 24, but yes I would keep the HR24 and get the HR44 with the total of 7 tuners, with hopes in getting another tv but your decision.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#8 OFFLINE   St8kout

St8kout

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

I don't really need two receivers; my monthly bill is high enough as it is, and they would charge me extra to keep the HR24. I had to return my HR21 for the same reason when I got the HR24. I did hate giving up all my recordings on the HR21 though.

In fact, I'm kind of having second thoughts about the HR44. About the only time I could use more than 2 tuners is during football season. What got me interested in it was the 1 TB hard drive, but I've been seeing people already saying that it's still not enough storage. I might be better off adding a 2 or 3 TB hard drive to my HR24. Decisions, decisions...

#9 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:01 AM

If you need more than two tuners at anytime, the 24 isn't going to work. Once installed, the monthly bill is no difference between the two.

#10 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:30 AM

HR44 has PP that maybe nice during football season. The 5 tuners comes in a lot handier than I thought it would. You will still have the 2 year service commitment even when buying from Amazon, unless you are wanting to be sure and get the HR44 and like doing your on install I do not see much advantage to purchasing from Amazon. D* has had pretty good deals on Genies and installs lately, quiet a few are free.

If cost and monthly bill were paramount I would try to get a free Genie installed by D* along with your HR24 and after you have viewed its recordings call D* and drop it from your account. At that time you would have no extra reciever or whole home fees.
T

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,620 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

Yes, I assumed you were adding the Genie and keeping the HR24.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

If cost and monthly bill were paramount I would try to get a free Genie installed by D* along with your HR24 and after you have viewed its recordings call D* and drop it from your account. At that time you would have no extra reciever or whole home fees.

+1

That would probably be your best solution. It's easy enough for them to set it up as they just would put a splitter where the DVRs are located or use the second coax if you currently have 2 coaxs running to your DVR. You would never need to touch the HR24 too as you could watch all the recordings via the Genie and delete them when you are done. Once the HR24 is cleared off, you deactivate it and send it back to DirecTV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#13 OFFLINE   St8kout

St8kout

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

HR44 has PP that maybe nice during football season. The 5 tuners comes in a lot handier than I thought it would. You will still have the 2 year service commitment even when buying from Amazon, unless you are wanting to be sure and get the HR44 and like doing your on install I do not see much advantage to purchasing from Amazon. D* has had pretty good deals on Genies and installs lately, quiet a few are free.

I used to have PiP on my tv  (directv as one input and over-the-air antenna as the other) and it was ok but a bit distracting.

At the time of my first post Amazon had the HR44 for $279.99 with free shipping but after they sold those the new price is around $295. I waited a few days too long.

What do the numbers after the HR44 mean? (HR44-200, HR44-600, etc). Different manufacturers?  

The 2 year commitment doesn't bother me. I was among the first customers when they began service (not sure what year that was) and I'm certainly not ever going back to cable.

Edited by St8kout, 19 July 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

Agree pip is not a big deal. Yes last number is the manufacture all HR44s are the same though, unlike the HR24 the design varied by producer. Check out the first looks for details
T

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,709 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Yes, manufacturers, IIRC, -200 is Samsung.

What did DIRECTV® offer you by way of a Genie? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

I used to have PiP on my tv  (directv as one input and over-the-air antenna as the other) and it was ok but a bit distracting.

At the time of my first post Amazon had the HR44 for $279.99 with free shipping but after they sold those the new price is around $295. I waited a few days too long.

What do the numbers after the HR44 mean? (HR44-200, HR44-600, etc). Different manufacturers?  

The 2 year commitment doesn't bother me. I was among the first customers when they began service (not sure what year that was) and I'm certainly not ever going back to cable.

Why not call Directv and see what they offer, generally if you let them know there are other options you are researching they will offer a reasonable or outstanding deal and free installation. This can vary per customer history and what rep you speak with. It might take more than one call. Some like to try to get to the customer retention department but that was not necessary for me. It also helps if you have the protection package as every two years you are eligible for a free upgrade.
T

#17 OFFLINE   Jmbt

Jmbt

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

I will appreciate answers to the following about the Genie and clients:

1) I currently have two HD DVRs (HD21) each receiving two coax cables from a splitter mounted on the house wall below the dish. With installation of a Genie will new cables have to be run to the Genie and to a new client or can one of the existing two cables be used at each of the two locations? Is a new splitter installed with one cable to each receiver? I really don't want to have to run new cables.

2) If I understand correctly, there is not a cable that runs directly from the Genie to the client, correct?

3) Will the Directv remotes that I use with the current HR-21 receivers work with both the Genie and the client? I don't want to have to program new receivers.

4) in my current setup I use HDMI from directv receiver to tv and a optical audio cable from the directv receiver to a home theater receiver for receiving audio into the home theater receiver. Without a optical output on the Genie can the optical coax or component cables be used to deliver audio to the home theater receiver? Which would be best, digital or component for delivering audio?

5) on the minis will both the HDMI out and the multi A/V be active so I can connect to 2 TVs - to one via the mini HDMI out and another from the mini multi A/V through a component dongle to another tv?

Any help will be appreciated.

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,709 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

1.)  Very likely no new cables will be needed/run.

2, 3) Yes

4.) I like the digital coax into my AVR, but I run it from the TV. 

5.) I think so, but I personally haven't done that, and won't. 

• Jmbt likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#19 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Without a optical output on the Genie can the optical coax or component cables be used to deliver audio to the home theater receiver?

The HR44 Genie has optical audio output; the HR34 Genie doesn't.

• Jmbt likes this

#20 OFFLINE   St8kout

St8kout

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

Why not call Directv and see what they offer, generally if you let them know there are other options you are researching they will offer a reasonable or outstanding deal and free installation. This can vary per customer history and what rep you speak with. It might take more than one call. Some like to try to get to the customer retention department but that was not necessary for me. It also helps if you have the protection package as every two years you are eligible for a free upgrade.

Well, even though I've been a life long customer, I'm only 1 year into my contract for the HR24. In the past they've refused me any free upgrades while under contract. As it is I had to wait until I was free to leave them to get a free upgrade to the HR21, my first dvr. They did however let me upgrade to the HR24 last year (for a small fee) due to a 'mover's special' when I bought a new house. How they treat you seems to depend entirely on whether or not you are still under contract.

So I might be better off adding a large external storage to my HR24 and then next year try for a free HR44 (then I can move my storage over to it).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...