Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Looking to replace HR24 with HR44. Do I need new dish/lnb's too?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   St8kout

St8kout

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

4) in my current setup I use HDMI from directv receiver to tv and a optical audio cable from the directv receiver to a home theater receiver for receiving audio into the home theater receiver. Without a optical output on the Genie can the optical coax or component cables be used to deliver audio to the home theater receiver? Which would be best, digital or component for delivering audio?

If your AV amp has HDMI in/out you don't need a separate audio cable, but yeah, the HR44 has an optical out jack. They must have had a big "oops" at the board room meeting after the HR34 was released without one.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

You can move your hard drive,but its content will not come with it to another machine.

And it still never hurts to call and see.

#23 OFFLINE   Jmbt

Jmbt

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Many thanks.

#24 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

I still recommend you call and talk with a CSR and let them know what you're interested in. If they don't offer you a 'good' deal, politely thank them and call back another day.  My best deal was two years ago. I was nine months into a 24 month commitment. They replaced two TIVO DRVs (both ended up being HR24s), upgraded us to MRV & SWM which meant a SWM16 ($279 retail in 2011), two AM21s and NFL ST. All for $0.00 plus extending my contract for 24 months. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

You also previously said that you were concerned about the size of the Genie's drive because others have reported the 1TB isn't big enough.  If you're getting by right now with a 500GB drive on your HR24, you shouldn't have any issues with a drive twice the size.

#25 OFFLINE   St8kout

St8kout

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

You also previously said that you were concerned about the size of the Genie's drive because others have reported the 1TB isn't big enough.  If you're getting by right now with a 500GB drive on your HR24, you shouldn't have any issues with a drive twice the size.

Well, for me 'getting by' means having to constantly delete content to make room for more. My drive stays around less than 4% most days and that aggravating message keeps popping up. I can see how 1 TB might not be enough as I've probably deleted that much over a year's time.

I guess I can give Directv a call in the morning but I wouldn't place any bets on getting anything with 1 year left on my contract. I've tried calling multiple CSRs before back when I wanted the HR21 and was turned down. Kind of pissed me off because I was reading on the forums how everyone else was getting free upgrades.

#26 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

You never know till you ask. Remember "you can catch more flys with honey than vinegar." Please let us know how it goes.
T

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,454 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

A side note: Running with only a small fraction of the HD free can itself cause slowness as well as the "aggravating" message. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#28 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 644 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

The HR44 Genie has optical audio output; the HR34 Genie doesn't.

this sux.....my current hr21-100 has the optical audio output....so if I end up with a hr34, then I have to go back to RCA plugs to take the sound to my JVC 6500V...?

#29 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

If your jvc doesn't have coax for audio you can be a small converter from Coax to optical at monoprice.

#30 OFFLINE   St8kout

St8kout

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

Just got off the phone with D* and they said I can upgrade to the Genie for $99 with free shipping. However, it will be either the HR34 or HR44. The can not guarantee me that it will be the 44, which is the one I want. I told them I'll think about it.

Maybe if I wait awhile they will run out of the 34s, then I'll place the order. I have no doubt they want to unload the 34s from their inventory first.

Edited by St8kout, 22 July 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#31 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

They will not run out of hr34 for likely five years. Your best shot is to get install and ask the installer if he has an hr44 If you must have a hr44

#32 OFFLINE   St8kout

St8kout

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

this sux.....my current hr21-100 has the optical audio output....so if I end up with a hr34, then I have to go back to RCA plugs to take the sound to my JVC 6500V...?

Your JVC actually has a digital coax input. It's labeled for DVD but it's probably changeable in your settings where you can choose inputs, unless of course you are already using it for a DVD player. But then maybe you can change your player to use optical instead.

In the real world though, you might not even notice the difference using RCA instead of digital audio inputs. It's not as critical for audio as it is for video.

Edited by St8kout, 22 July 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,454 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

They will not run out of hr34 for likely five years. Your best shot is to get install and ask the installer if he has an hr44 If you must have a hr44

Interesting. How did you calculate the inventory? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#34 OFFLINE   St8kout

St8kout

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yeah, but she said there's a installation fee if they do it, so it's a bit of a gamble whether or not he'll have a 44 (and if he will let me have it). I wish I knew an installer so I could consult with him before ordering, but alas......

Has anyone here received from D* a 44 upgrade (not a new customer) instead of a 34? I'm wondering if D* might have a directive to give the 44s only to new customers.

Edited by St8kout, 22 July 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

I just got a 44 last week and I've been a customer since 1998.

Installer said all they had were 44s, so no one was getting a 34 (out of his shop). All based on your location and what your installer has in stock.

There is a thread where people are posting their location if they receive a 44.  You should check it.

Also, and I don't like this as it could mess up the installer's schedule and therefore cost him money, but you can place the order. You should receive a call before they show up and you can ask them then. Reschedule if they don't have the 44s. You're not on the hook until the equipment is installed and activated.

Edited by trh, 22 July 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Your JVC actually has a digital coax input. It's labeled for DVD but it's probably changeable in your settings where you can choose inputs, unless of course you are already using it for a DVD player. But then maybe you can change your player to use optical instead.

In the real world though, you might not even notice the difference using RCA instead of digital audio inputs. It's not as critical for audio as it is for video.

Not the case.  RCA (if you are referring to the red and white cables) provide only stereo, where as optical (toslink) and digital coax provides true Dolby Digital surround sound

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#37 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,227 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

Well, for me 'getting by' means having to constantly delete content to make room for more. My drive stays around less than 4% most days and that aggravating message keeps popping up. I can see how 1 TB might not be enough as I've probably deleted that much over a year's time.

I guess I can give Directv a call in the morning but I wouldn't place any bets on getting anything with 1 year left on my contract. I've tried calling multiple CSRs before back when I wanted the HR21 and was turned down. Kind of pissed me off because I was reading on the forums how everyone else was getting free upgrades.

And nothing says you can't get the Genie and then use an external drive. The Genies can even handle 3TB drives.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#38 OFFLINE   St8kout

St8kout

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Not the case.  RCA (if you are referring to the red and white cables) provide only stereo, where as optical (toslink) and digital coax provides true Dolby Digital surround sound

Oops, forgot about that. I used to have an av amp with simulated surround from the two stereo inputs and forgot it wasn't 'real' surround. Apologies.

I have 7 channel surround now through hdmi so I haven't used optical or digital coax in awhile.

Edited by St8kout, 22 July 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#39 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Interesting. How did you calculate the inventory?

Simple, they seemed to continue to recover and refurbish the hr20-700 for about five years, I see no reason for them to not do the same with all units, nothing in any sec filings have said any different. So until they are no longer recovering and refurbish them, there will always be a chance you could get one.

#40 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

To be more specific, analogue can only supply two channels of full range sound and the others are a interpolated guess, where dd can provide far more full range Discrete channels including a specific sub channel. It's not even close with a proper surround sound system.

spam firewall