Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

night owl this 1:30am update sucks

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brownram

brownram

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

if you guys at dish read this I am up with the tv on at 1:30am and if I am not right there to stop it I have to deal with the hopper shuting down for the update wouldn't 3:30am be a better time

i love my hr20 now

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

That was one thing I really liked about my 622/722 DVR's - you could set the time that they checked for updates.  I had mine set for 5:30 so the check would happen well after I was on my way to work.

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#3 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:11 AM

You mean you can't specify the update time for the Hopper?  Another reason not to get one.  I have two 622s serving 4 TVs.  One 622 is in the bedroom.  With the fan noise during an update it would wake even sound sleepers so I set it to update at noon when no one is in the room and usually no one is watching the TV it serves in my office either.  The other 622 is away from sleeping areas and those two TVs are often on during the day so I let it update during the night.  

I'm dumbfounded that DISH would take away the ability to set update time.  How much money did that save themselves at the expense of their customers convenience?  I can't believe it was significant.

#4 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

Correct you can't specify the time.  Having had both I will still take the Hopper over my 622, some of the reasons that come to mind

• 3 tuners
  • Larger internal hard drive
  • Ability to have 2 EHD's connected.
  • QUIET - I have yet to hear the fans
  • Can backup timers and settings to the remote.

There are even some niceties,

• When viewing the recordings it will show you what % has been watched.
  • Links to my home computer's Windows Media Server so I can play videos and view pictures from my computer.

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

I think they may have taken away the time because people were trying to avoid the nightly update altogether... and then would have problems caused by not letting those updates happen... and then they had to wade through all that on a CSR call.  By not letting you change the time, it forces you to adjust to it.

It will not update if you have a timer scheduled... so the only time the update could happen without your permission is IF you weren't watching TV at the time to say "no" and put it off until later.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#6 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

Dish is working on enabling the ability to change the update time but it's not a vey high priority at this time.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#7 OFFLINE   BubbaD

BubbaD

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

I have never had a problem with the updates. If I'm watching tv I postpone. I have selected to update many times and it had never taken over 5 minutes and usually less than that.

#8 OFFLINE   Wolfpanther

Wolfpanther

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:41 AM

I think they may have taken away the time because people were trying to avoid the nightly update altogether... and then would have problems caused by not letting those updates happen... and then they had to wade through all that on a CSR call.  By not letting you change the time, it forces you to adjust to it.

It will not update if you have a timer scheduled... so the only time the update could happen without your permission is IF you weren't watching TV at the time to say "no" and put it off until later.

If does update  if you have a timer scheduled.  Two weeks in a row, it has cut off the same program and updated.

#9 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

If I were Dish software expert, I would solve this problem by giving the option of allowing the update at 1:30, 2:30 or 3:30 AM, a rotating selection which you could not get out of without selecting one of them.  I think that would make the night-owls happy.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

If does update  if you have a timer scheduled.  Two weeks in a row, it has cut off the same program and updated.

What program?  What time?

I haven't ever seen this with Dish DVRs... where it would update at night when a timer was scheduled to fire.

#11 OFFLINE   Wolfpanther

Wolfpanther

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

The Exes on TVLand at 1:30 a.m.- 2:00 a.m.  It started the program and a few minutes in the program stopped recording and I know it was because it did the update, because when I switched over to the DVR it was on the screen that comes up when it's done updating.

It's also come up and asked to update while I was transferring files between the DVR and the external hard drive and when I've been watching a recorded program.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Well... it would be on that screen after a power failure or a lockup/reboot, or pretty much any scenario that results in the receiver being in standby.

It sounds to me like you had a different problem...  perhaps the receiver locked up and rebooted or something...  which would be a problem...  but I've never heard of the nightly update interrupting a scheduled recording, and certainly not a recording in-progress.

I agree you have a problem there...  I just don't think the nightly update is it...  I think something else bad happened, so you might want to be on the watch in case it wasn't an isolated incident.

It will, however, interrupt playback of a recording and transfers to EHD.  I wish it wouldn't interrupt EHD transfers...  but I think all the ViP receivers have that particular flaw too.

#13 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

A related comment to the nightly update if I might, my teenage kids complained to me this week that our internet shuts off every morning a1:30.  Of course I'm not up then because I get up early for work, but they're teenagers on summer break and play online games half the night and sleep half the day away (what a life).  I am wondering if my 2 hoppers doing their update at 1:30 is causing our network to get strangled.  We have 512K up/ 3.0 MB down DSL (no cable or Fios options here).  Anyone else notice a network clog with the nightly update?

#14 OFFLINE   Wolfpanther

Wolfpanther

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

It sounds to me like you had a different problem...  perhaps the receiver locked up and rebooted or something...  which would be a problem...  but I've never heard of the nightly update interrupting a scheduled recording, and certainly not a recording in-progress.

I agree you have a problem there...  I just don't think the nightly update is it...  I think something else bad happened, so you might want to be on the watch in case it wasn't an isolated incident.

I'd agree except it was 2 weeks in a row at 1:30 and didn't do the update at 2:30 like it does if you skip the 1:30 update

#15 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

I understand it can be frustrating when you’re up late watching a show and the updates start. A request has been filed on your behalf to have this feature added with extended update times. All requests are considered and reviewed for approval.

Thanks

• krestakaye likes this

#16 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

A related comment to the nightly update if I might, my teenage kids complained to me this week that our internet shuts off every morning a1:30.  Of course I'm not up then because I get up early for work, but they're teenagers on summer break and play online games half the night and sleep half the day away (what a life).  I am wondering if my 2 hoppers doing their update at 1:30 is causing our network to get strangled.  We have 512K up/ 3.0 MB down DSL (no cable or Fios options here).  Anyone else notice a network clog with the nightly update?

I wouldn't think so as updates are pulled from the satalite not via the internet.  Unless your hoppers are somehow bridging your internal network to the DSL I wouldn't expect them to impact your internet connection.

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,297 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

As seen a lot of what in a stream days and nights, I would ask you, Stewart: what exactly in "the nightly update", are there specific "the nightly updates" ?

I think you knew the answer: NOTHING !

And a reason for the night REBOOT is cleanup the 'computer' memory eg DVR, because of 'memory leakage', because of bugs what accumulating data corruptions in DVR, mangled current running status flags, etc.

Because it easy to reboot, than troubleshoot, than find the bugs and fix them.

So, the fixed time of the REBOOT (not mythical "the nightly update") is just a result of someone sloppy job while porting from 622/722 code-base to 922/813/913 models .... now they don't want to spend time for review the changes because each time the fixing one bug, they MAKE another one or more.

I don't know if it coder's experience and skills or ppl in the FW dept overloaded ... we all knew , working environment in dish depts are horrible :(

Edited by P Smith, 23 July 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

I'd agree except it was 2 weeks in a row at 1:30 and didn't do the update at 2:30 like it does if you skip the 1:30 update

I hear what you are saying...  but what I'm thinking is happening...  something else is causing your receiver to reboot...  and you aren't there to see it happen... and then once that has occurred and the receiver is in standby, the 1:30am update/reboot can happen since the timer was already interrupted.

It is a chicken vs egg scenario...  but basically, if anything else crashes and screws up your recording... that leaves the receiver in a state where it can do the 1:30am update that it wanted to do.

So... I expect the receiver is just "taking advantage" of the other failure to do the update.  Rather than the update causing the timer to fail.  Basically you would have to be sitting there and watching when it happened to verify what I am saying... but I'm inclined to think it is the case.

Basically, you definitely do have a problem...  I'm just not sure it is the problem you first thought it was.  I think you have a different problem that opens the door for the update to happen on schedule.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

As seen a lot of what in a stream days and nights, I would ask you, Stewart: what exactly in "the nightly update", are there specific "the nightly updates" ?

I think you knew the answer: NOTHING !

And a reason for the night REBOOT is cleanup the 'computer' memory eg DVR, because of 'memory leakage', because of bugs what accumulating data corruptions in DVR, mangled current running status flags, etc.

Because it easy to reboot, than troubleshoot, than find the bugs and fix them.

So, the fixed time of the REBOOT (not mythical "the nightly update") is just a result of someone sloppy job while porting from 622/722 code-base to 922/813/913 models .... now they don't want to spend time for review the changes because each time the fixing one bug, they MAKE another one or more.

I don't know if it coder's experience and skills or ppl in the FW dept overloaded ... we all knew , working environment in dish depts are horrible :(

None of what you posted there is relevant, though.  Is the nightly update "necessary"?  Yes.  Does it have to be?  Probably not.  Microsoft has a history of poor "garbage collection" and if you leave your computer on for several days you kind of need a reboot to clear the pipes.... I haven't seen anything in recent years to suggest Microsoft has done a better job at that than my earliest experiences with Microsoft way back in the early 1980s.

So... the Dish nightly update... could better programming do something better and not need this?  Perhaps...  but it is a moot point because for whatever reason you might want to assign, they haven't.  Either because they can't, or because they don't prioritize it high enough...  the nightly update is a "necessary" evil.

Unless and until that changes...  it is a moot point as to why it is necessary... we have to accept that it is, and work with it the best that we can.

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,297 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

be honest, stop calling it "the nightly update"

spam firewall