Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

night owl this 1:30am update sucks

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Sorry no secret knowledge here, so I would agree that I don't see why it needs to be done each night.  Once a week or so should be fine IMHO.

2 Hoppers w/ Sling (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,189 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Again, we are getting WAY off the path here...  it doesn't matter what you call it or whether or not you think it "should be" necessary...  the fact remains that it is necessary by the current design.

If you want to have a thread to talk about whether or not it should be called "nightly update" or whether or not it is something that could be eliminated...  please feel free to start that thread!

This thread is about how to deal with the fact that it wants to do this every night, and on the Hopper it isn't something that you can alter the schedule.  Discussion over whether it is an "update" or not or why is is necessary really isn't helping anyone I don't think.

• 3HaloODST likes this

-- Friday Friday Friday... the 13th!

What I do when I'm not here

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,225 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

at least it give ppl proper understanding what is the DVR doing during night reboots and why, instead of repeating official propaganda

better be honest and name things as it is

#29 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

It is what it is, it does what it does, get over it!

Perhaps Dish WILL add the capability to adjust the nightly update time, perhaps not.

If they perceive the need it will be done.

Probably 99% of users do not need this capability, so it may not be a very high priority.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#30 OFFLINE   broeddog

broeddog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Isn't the final process of the nightly update supposed to reconfigure your home network, so your Hoppers and Joeys can access the Internet via the bridging function in one of the Hoppers.

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,225 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Isn't the final process of the nightly update supposed to reconfigure your home network, so your Hoppers and Joeys can access the Internet via the bridging function in one of the Hoppers.

per se it's not necessary, but in case of bugs ...

you see ? whole purpose of the nightly _reboots_ (there are no updates) is restart whole system and make fresh start

#32 OFFLINE   Wolfpanther

Wolfpanther

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Basically, you definitely do have a problem...  I'm just not sure it is the problem you first thought it was.  I think you have a different problem that opens the door for the update to happen on schedule.

I made sure I was done watching Netflix this week and watched.  DVR is recording the 1:30 a.m. program and the screen pops up to do the nightly update.

#33 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

If your network goes down when the Hopper is doing its updates, see if your router has a QoS (Quality of Service) setting.  If so, follow the instructions in your manual to set the Hopper to be a low priority and see if that helps.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,225 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

there are no night updates, the DVR is just rebooting

btw, all updates coming from satellite(s) !

Edited by P Smith, 27 July 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

P Smith is correct, unless Dish is pushing out a specific update to your receiver, the only thing that happens overnight is that the unit reboots which naturally results in a download of a fresh set of guide data.

The nightly reboot essentially clears all the garbage out of memory that has accrued during daily operations, a nightly trash dump, like rebooting your PC when it gets quirky after running several weeks without a shutdown or reboot.

You can cause fresh guide data download by doing a manual reboot, they go hand-in-hand.

Edited by Jim5506, 28 July 2013 - 04:27 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,225 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

the EEPG update is not happen each reboot, DVR's system checking if last download was certain hours ago, then it will do

else it will gather incremental info, as full EEPG is 120+ MB size and taking a lot of time to DL

#37 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,189 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Ok... can we please focus on the topic, which is people having trouble with when this nightly "whatever" happens?  As I said before, it doesn't matter what you want to call it...  beating that into the ground is doing zero to help the people in this thread who are having problems with timers being interrupted.  Please start another thread if you wish to continue talking about what this nightly "update" is or is not doing as it isn't relevant to the problems in this thread.

#38 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,189 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

I made sure I was done watching Netflix this week and watched.  DVR is recording the 1:30 a.m. program and the screen pops up to do the nightly update.

That is very curious...  It isn't supposed to do that... and I have never seen a receiver of mine do that... and I don't recall seeing anyone post of a Hopper doing that.  IF a recording is in progress, the receiver "knows" that and is supposed to automatically delay/defer the reboot time until later.  For yours not to be doing that is a problem.

Sometime when you aren't watching anything and aren't recording anything...  I would recommend putting it into standby and then unplugging it for a minute...  basically letting it do a "cold" restart and see if that makes any improvement.

• rtd2 likes this

#39 OFFLINE   locutus

locutus

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:52 AM

I wish I had known about this before I got my hopper. Just got it a week ago, and I'm in the middle of watching something I DVRd when it pops up and tells me it's going to shut off. I tell it no, rewind and continue watching. A while later (I did not time it), I'm still watching a movie from my DVR and it pops up again and tells me ti's going to shut off. This is ridiculous. I'm really missing my 922 right now. At least I could set a time for it to go through the update.

Does anyone know whether or not Dish is working on getting this fixed. It's annoying as hell, and now I need to check some things that I recorded overnight to make sure that they did not get interrupted.

If DISH is paying attention here - LET ME SET MY OWN TIME FOR UPDATES!

I've been a pretty happy Dish customer until now. Sheesh!

#40 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,189 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

I'll agree that it would be nice if Dish let you pick the time...  I know I have my 922 set for 7am...  but I also think there are a lot of people (my father is one of them) who likes to keep saying "no" to the prompt...  and then eventually something isn't working right because it hasn't done an update in days... and then the complaints start piling up.  So I think that's part of why they designed the Hopper this way and took away the choice of update time.

#41 OFFLINE   locutus

locutus

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

I'll agree that it would be nice if Dish let you pick the time...  I know I have my 922 set for 7am...  but I also think there are a lot of people (my father is one of them) who likes to keep saying "no" to the prompt...  and then eventually something isn't working right because it hasn't done an update in days... and then the complaints start piling up.  So I think that's part of why they designed the Hopper this way and took away the choice of update time.

The hopper still lets you say "No" to the update. It just defers to later and asks you again. Even if they don't let you set the time, why would it not see playing a recording off of the DVR as activity and automatically defer until that activity has finished? It seems to do that when the unit is recording, why do I have to put up with the interruption in the middle of playing a recording?

#42 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,189 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

I have no problem with it asking me... it waits about an hour after saying no doesn't it?  I think that's what I've seen mentioned...  That doesn't seem too bad to me... and it takes seconds to clear those popups that display like that.

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,793 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

The problem I've noted is if the popup comes while I'm out of the room. If I happen to pause TV at 1:32am to go get a snack I'll miss the 1:35am warning and return to the machine undergoing the reboot. If I'm far behind in my viewing and I'm not watching a recording I lose content - the buffer is gone.

I'm not sure DISH will ever add a "night owl" setting that would move the nightly reboot to 5:35am or some hour of the customer's choosing. If they decide to do so I would support that decision.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#44 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

Yup, that's complaint number 3 with the family. We're up all night. But the way I see it is that DISH/Echostar is in Colorado. Bars close at 2am, 1:30am is last call, so your box updates at 1:30 and is done by the time you get home from the bar. My bar closes when I stop pouring.

Mine fired off at 3:34am this morning, first request. Lately they have been all over the place, but usually 1:23 - 1:37. I have just been letting them do their thing and not have to deal with it later. Also I gage the time it takes to see if possibley I'm getting any new updates. Lately I have been a little more anxious because there are things that need to be fixed, that will calm the family, and I was told were being fixed in the next update. Finger Crossed. I've been doing a lot of that with our HwS.

#45 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'll agree that it would be nice if Dish let you pick the time... I know I have my 922 set for 7am... but I also think there are a lot of people (my father is one of them) who likes to keep saying "no" to the prompt... and then eventually something isn't working right because it hasn't done an update in days... and then the complaints start piling up. So I think that's part of why they designed the Hopper this way and took away the choice of update time.

Yeah but all you have to do is set it for a time when nobody's home/awake. This is a long overdue feature that the Hopper has had missing from day one.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by 3HaloODST, 10 November 2013 - 07:15 PM.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#46 OFFLINE   locutus

locutus

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

I have no problem with it asking me... it waits about an hour after saying no doesn't it?  I think that's what I've seen mentioned...  That doesn't seem too bad to me... and it takes seconds to clear those popups that display like that.

I'm glad that you're okay with it. I'm not. It's an avoidable inconvenience that disrupts my viewing, often at a key moment of the show. Unlike others here, I prefer to schedule technology to work around my schedule rather than the other way around - that IS the purpose of technology, isn't it? To make my life a bit easier? And apparently there's no way to accurately plan around it. I thought I had last night, making sure that my show would end prior to 1:30, but I was wrong. At 1:22am, up pops the shutdown confirmation - right over the last scene of my movie.

The simple feature of scheduling was available on the 922. And I still don't see why the unit would not be programmed to identify PLAYING a recorded program as ACTIVITY that would delay a power cycle. After all, the unit doesn't play itself. I'm not going to play a show, then just walk away from it. If I'm playing it, I'm watching it. It's difficult enough that I have to stay up late to watch a show without being interrupted by others. Do I have to be interrupted by my provider as well?

#47 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

What makes it even worse is that sometimes as late as 2:30-3am I've had one of my Hoppers off all day/night and no recordings scheduled for 12-5am yet literally ten minutes after I turn it on it prompts me to check for updates. Then, of course, if I say no I get to say no every hour after that. That is, if I'm not in the bathroom or kitchen or whatever and it reboots... Sent from my iPhone 4S using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by 3HaloODST, 11 November 2013 - 04:06 PM.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#48 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,225 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

Yup, that's complaint number 3 with the family. We're up all night. But the way I see it is that DISH/Echostar is in Colorado. Bars close at 2am, 1:30am is last call, so your box updates at 1:30 and is done by the time you get home from the bar. My bar closes when I stop pouring.

Mine fired off at 3:34am this morning, first request. Lately they have been all over the place, but usually 1:23 - 1:37. I have just been letting them do their thing and not have to deal with it later. Also I gage the time it takes to see if possibley I'm getting any new updates. Lately I have been a little more anxious because there are things that need to be fixed, that will calm the family, and I was told were being fixed in the next update. Finger Crossed. I've been doing a lot of that with our HwS.

Sorry to tell you again and again - that time DVR is not UPDATING;

it's just rebooting by prophylactic reason: to cleanup RAM, rebuild system areas/flags, eliminate memory leak created by java code and other corruptions of half-baked-half-tested software in the devices.

#49 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,793 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

Sorry to tell you again and again - that time DVR is not UPDATING;
it's just rebooting by prophylactic reason: to cleanup RAM, rebuild system areas/flags, eliminate memory leak created by java code and other corruptions of half-baked-half-tested software in the devices.

DISH network uses the time following the reboot for firmware updates (the reboot effectively turns off the receiver to where it can receive the update). The time following the reboot is also used for updating the EPG.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#50 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,225 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:02 AM

James, you should know - new FW will reboot a DVR that time when it will finish reprogramming flash memory or set all files for that part of updating.

Updating EPG (as NIT and SDT updating/reloading each four hours) is happening at least four times per 24 hrs. Well known fact - see by yourself logs of changes PID 0x300 (9 days EPG)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...