Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

night owl this 1:30am update sucks

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

None of what you posted there is relevant, though.  Is the nightly update "necessary"?  Yes.  Does it have to be?  Probably not.  Microsoft has a history of poor "garbage collection" and if you leave your computer on for several days you kind of need a reboot to clear the pipes.... I haven't seen anything in recent years to suggest Microsoft has done a better job at that than my earliest experiences with Microsoft way back in the early 1980s.

So... the Dish nightly update... could better programming do something better and not need this?  Perhaps...  but it is a moot point because for whatever reason you might want to assign, they haven't.  Either because they can't, or because they don't prioritize it high enough...  the nightly update is a "necessary" evil.

Unless and until that changes...  it is a moot point as to why it is necessary... we have to accept that it is, and work with it the best that we can.

My understanding is most of the time this is not an "update" in the computer term.  No software gets changed.  Most days it is simply and update to the guide data.  Not to say there isn't a check of the condition of the receiver or something.  I have no idea.  But even if you set a receiver never to update software it will still do an update of the guide data daily.  As the OP and I and others have pointed out 3 AM is not the most convenient time for many customers, which is why, I presume, Dish gave us the ability to set the update time on a generation of receivers.  That they dropped this feature on the Hopper seems illogical and I hope they restore it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

I wouldn't think so as updates are pulled from the satalite not via the internet.  Unless your hoppers are somehow bridging your internal network to the DSL I wouldn't expect them to impact your internet connection.

Perhaps the reboot of the Hopper system (2H/3J) is somehow rebooting my home network.  Kids say it is only a minute or two that it is down.

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Just to explain to new users who never use pre-ViP/XiP receivers/DVR - these models NEVER require reboots, nightly or daily.

Calling its "nightly update" is a lie.  It's simple REBOOTS. That's relevant and pertinent definition.

BTW, the guide updates coming 4 times per day if it's 9-days EPG, or each 4 hours if it 44-hours EPG.

Edited by P Smith, 24 July 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Just to explain to new users who never use pre-ViP/XiP receivers/DVR - these models NEVER require reboots, nightly or daily.

Calling its "nightly update" is a lie.  It's simple REBOOTS. That's relevant and pertinent definition.

BTW, the guide updates coming 4 times per day if it's 9-days EPG, or each 4 hours if it 44-hours EPG.

But it will update your software if there is a new version pending for your receiver.  Also as part of this routine it does a check of the internal HDD and at least pre S400 the EHD as well (haven't watched what happens since I got the S400 update).

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

OK, pending update (how often you getting it ? once in few months ?) would reboot your DVR regardless of the night REBOOTs, right after downloading and re-flashing;

e2fsck  and fsck ? Do you know something (bugs again !) so it needs to be done each night ?

#26 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Sorry no secret knowledge here, so I would agree that I don't see why it needs to be done each night.  Once a week or so should be fine IMHO.

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Again, we are getting WAY off the path here...  it doesn't matter what you call it or whether or not you think it "should be" necessary...  the fact remains that it is necessary by the current design.

If you want to have a thread to talk about whether or not it should be called "nightly update" or whether or not it is something that could be eliminated...  please feel free to start that thread!

This thread is about how to deal with the fact that it wants to do this every night, and on the Hopper it isn't something that you can alter the schedule.  Discussion over whether it is an "update" or not or why is is necessary really isn't helping anyone I don't think.

• 3HaloODST likes this

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

at least it give ppl proper understanding what is the DVR doing during night reboots and why, instead of repeating official propaganda

better be honest and name things as it is

#29 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

It is what it is, it does what it does, get over it!

Perhaps Dish WILL add the capability to adjust the nightly update time, perhaps not.

If they perceive the need it will be done.

Probably 99% of users do not need this capability, so it may not be a very high priority.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#30 OFFLINE   broeddog

broeddog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Isn't the final process of the nightly update supposed to reconfigure your home network, so your Hoppers and Joeys can access the Internet via the bridging function in one of the Hoppers.

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Isn't the final process of the nightly update supposed to reconfigure your home network, so your Hoppers and Joeys can access the Internet via the bridging function in one of the Hoppers.

per se it's not necessary, but in case of bugs ...

you see ? whole purpose of the nightly _reboots_ (there are no updates) is restart whole system and make fresh start

#32 OFFLINE   Wolfpanther

Wolfpanther

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Basically, you definitely do have a problem...  I'm just not sure it is the problem you first thought it was.  I think you have a different problem that opens the door for the update to happen on schedule.

I made sure I was done watching Netflix this week and watched.  DVR is recording the 1:30 a.m. program and the screen pops up to do the nightly update.

#33 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

If your network goes down when the Hopper is doing its updates, see if your router has a QoS (Quality of Service) setting.  If so, follow the instructions in your manual to set the Hopper to be a low priority and see if that helps.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

there are no night updates, the DVR is just rebooting

btw, all updates coming from satellite(s) !

Edited by P Smith, 27 July 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

P Smith is correct, unless Dish is pushing out a specific update to your receiver, the only thing that happens overnight is that the unit reboots which naturally results in a download of a fresh set of guide data.

The nightly reboot essentially clears all the garbage out of memory that has accrued during daily operations, a nightly trash dump, like rebooting your PC when it gets quirky after running several weeks without a shutdown or reboot.

You can cause fresh guide data download by doing a manual reboot, they go hand-in-hand.

Edited by Jim5506, 28 July 2013 - 04:27 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

the EEPG update is not happen each reboot, DVR's system checking if last download was certain hours ago, then it will do

else it will gather incremental info, as full EEPG is 120+ MB size and taking a lot of time to DL

#37 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Ok... can we please focus on the topic, which is people having trouble with when this nightly "whatever" happens?  As I said before, it doesn't matter what you want to call it...  beating that into the ground is doing zero to help the people in this thread who are having problems with timers being interrupted.  Please start another thread if you wish to continue talking about what this nightly "update" is or is not doing as it isn't relevant to the problems in this thread.

#38 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

I made sure I was done watching Netflix this week and watched.  DVR is recording the 1:30 a.m. program and the screen pops up to do the nightly update.

That is very curious...  It isn't supposed to do that... and I have never seen a receiver of mine do that... and I don't recall seeing anyone post of a Hopper doing that.  IF a recording is in progress, the receiver "knows" that and is supposed to automatically delay/defer the reboot time until later.  For yours not to be doing that is a problem.

Sometime when you aren't watching anything and aren't recording anything...  I would recommend putting it into standby and then unplugging it for a minute...  basically letting it do a "cold" restart and see if that makes any improvement.

• rtd2 likes this

#39 OFFLINE   locutus

locutus

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:52 AM

I wish I had known about this before I got my hopper. Just got it a week ago, and I'm in the middle of watching something I DVRd when it pops up and tells me it's going to shut off. I tell it no, rewind and continue watching. A while later (I did not time it), I'm still watching a movie from my DVR and it pops up again and tells me ti's going to shut off. This is ridiculous. I'm really missing my 922 right now. At least I could set a time for it to go through the update.

Does anyone know whether or not Dish is working on getting this fixed. It's annoying as hell, and now I need to check some things that I recorded overnight to make sure that they did not get interrupted.

If DISH is paying attention here - LET ME SET MY OWN TIME FOR UPDATES!

I've been a pretty happy Dish customer until now. Sheesh!

#40 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

I'll agree that it would be nice if Dish let you pick the time...  I know I have my 922 set for 7am...  but I also think there are a lot of people (my father is one of them) who likes to keep saying "no" to the prompt...  and then eventually something isn't working right because it hasn't done an update in days... and then the complaints start piling up.  So I think that's part of why they designed the Hopper this way and took away the choice of update time.

spam firewall