Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

night owl this 1:30am update sucks

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

The stb does look for updates every few hours, that is true. The EPG tables are rebuilt during the nightly update but the EPG fills in throughout the day.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   locutus

locutus

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

well, I've taken care of my biggest problem. Even though others here aren't bothered by the pop-up message while they're watching a program, I am. I find it extremely annoying in the middle of a good show, and it never happens at a good time. So, I figured that I might as well find the work-around (after more than 30 years of dealing with such animals I know that there is always a work-around if you look for it). Prior to watching anything that I have recorded, I set up another program to record that will last longer than the one I'm watching. At least that way the DVR will leave me alone during my movie. After I'm done I delete the other recording.

I understand that a DVR has no way of knowing whether or not someone is watching a live show. It would still be nice, though, if the Hopper would treat playback activity the same as it treats recording activity. I think it's safe to assume that if someone is playing back a recording that they are actually sitting there watching it.

This should be a fairly simple fix. (playback bit = on then reschedule update)

#63 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

I understand that a DVR has no way of knowing whether or not someone is watching a live show. It would still be nice, though, if the Hopper would treat playback activity the same as it treats recording activity. I think it's safe to assume that if someone is playing back a recording that they are actually sitting there watching it.

Normally I would agree with you... but I have lost count the number of times my father has fallen asleep during playback of a movie late at night... and he definitely wasn't watching TV even though he had intended to be watching when he first began the DVR playback.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#64 OFFLINE   Daggett

Daggett

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

It bugs me too, someone is always up at that time. I use a workaround of recording an SD channel from 1:30 AM to 4:30 AM every day with a repeating manual timer, at least then it won't ask until 4:30 or 5:30. It ties up a tuner, but I'm not recording much at that time anyway, and I can easily skip it if need be.

Really IMHO it's just a sign of poor design. There really should be no need to do this every night if it were designed correctly.

#65 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

It bugs me too, someone is always up at that time. I use a workaround of recording an SD channel from 1:30 AM to 4:30 AM every day with a repeating manual timer, at least then it won't ask until 4:30 or 5:30. It ties up a tuner, but I'm not recording much at that time anyway, and I can easily skip it if need be.

Really IMHO it's just a sign of poor design. There really should be no need to do this every night if it were designed correctly.

I do the same thing and this works perfectly. Every night before I shut the TV off I put my Hopper in sleep mode.

#66 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

Mine fired off at least four times last night. The first time I allowed it to do its thing, whatever that may be. It started at 1:23am and the last, fourth time, that I saw was at 4:38am. The three other times it did nothing. The standby screen stayed on for as long as I let it. I gave each time about 10 minutes. Could this be possession?

#67 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

are you soliciting for  a priest ? :)

Edited by P Smith, 05 February 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#68 OFFLINE   krestakaye

krestakaye

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I understand it can be frustrating when you’re up late watching a show and the updates start. A request has been filed on your behalf to have this feature added with extended update times. All requests are considered and reviewed for approval.

Thanks

#69 OFFLINE   krestakaye

krestakaye

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

I'd like this issue to be revisited and requested again. I searched the topic because I have the same problem. If I could choose the update to happen a couple hours later it would be great.

#70 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

I have a recording set for that timeframe and my receiver stays on.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#71 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

Now I receive an option to accept or decline the update option.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

#72 OFFLINE   locutus

locutus

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

Normally I would agree with you... but I have lost count the number of times my father has fallen asleep during playback of a movie late at night... and he definitely wasn't watching TV even though he had intended to be watching when he first began the DVR playback.

So what? Would it hurt for his DVR to wait until playback is over before it reset? At most it's a couple of hours. 

I find it rather curious that a couple of weeks after I posted my work-around, I received a message one morning that my Hopper had received a "software update". After that point my work-around stopped working. Even when I set a program to record, the Hopper still displays the update message and then switches to the screen-saver. It doesn't actually do an update. It continues to record. Just the display is reset, apparently in response to those of us who want to watch our program uninterrupted late at night. I tried a different ways to create a new work-around, but nothing simple, and quite frankly this issue is no longer worth the time I've spent on it. Apparently whatever you guys need to do at 1:30 is much more important than customer satisfaction. So I've decided to implement a much more severe work around. After five years of being  a loyal Dish customer, I'm switching to DirecTV. Screw you guys.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...