Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Taking the HR34 to the Internet

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 650 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

Yesterday during my attempted Genie upgrade, the installer was explaining how he could get the HR34 connected to the Internet by way of my modem or router.  Now I’m wondering if my Linksys RE-1000 would work instead.  I’m currently using the RE1000 in the same room where I hope to set the HR34/44 and it basically extends/rebroadcasts my Internet signal from my Linksys E-3000 in another room.  The RE-1000 does have an Ethernet connection.  If this would get the HR34 onto the Net, would it also bring in the mini client in the bedroom?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Looks like the RE1000 is an 802.11n bridge so it could work for you to connect the HR34 Genie to the internet through your wireless router, you just have to take into consideration the usual wireless problems and limitations including range and throughput.  Give it a try and if it works for you then great, if not then run some ethernet to the HR34's location. 

As for your mini client you didn't mention how it's connected.  Normally the installer would connect it to the coax and the HR34 would use the ethernet-over-coax connection to talk to the client. 

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#3 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Looks like the RE1000 is an 802.11n bridge so it could work for you to connect the HR34 Genie to the internet through your wireless router, you just have to take into consideration the usual wireless problems and limitations including range and throughput.  Give it a try and if it works for you then great, if not then run some ethernet to the HR34's location. 

As for your mini client you didn't mention how it's connected.  Normally the installer would connect it to the coax and the HR34 would use the ethernet-over-coax connection to talk to the client. 

Thanks for the response... 

I'll try the RE1000 later today.  Just looking for a work around from what the installer told me.  My wifi router and modem are in a room upstairs while the Genie would be in the living room down stairs and the mini in the bedroom down the hall (down stairs).  Hooking an ethernet cable directly to the Genie is not an option due to location.  The mini (although not hooked up yet) would go in the bedroom and use the current one cable coming from the wall jack.  I guess that is where the new dish/LNB would come into play. 

Based on what we're talking about and if all came together would I then almost have a HR44?

#4 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

Now that think more about the Genie (HR34) and the mini client, it’s becoming more obvious to me that I don’t have a clear understanding on how all this works.  The one difference I focused on between the HR34 and the HR44 is the fact that the HR34 has no built in wifi.  But if you are able to connect it to the Internet (wifi), either by the way the installer described or by using my RE-1000 what did I accomplish?   If you do NOT hook up the wifi, will the HR34 still be able to communication back and forth with the mini as far as recording programs?  So I guess my real question is what does bringing in the Internet to the HR34 do for you?

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

your Internet has no bearing on the operation of the Genie and Genie mini. they both communicate via the SWM network.  What the connection to the Internet will do for you is give you access to DOD, iPad app and live streaming through the app, TV apps, Pandora YouTube and access to the GenieGo if you have one

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

your Internet has no bearing on the operation of the Genie and Genie mini. they both communicate via the SWM network.  What the connection to the Internet will do for you is give you access to DOD, iPad app and live streaming through the app, TV apps, Pandora YouTube and access to the GenieGo if you have one

Thank you 

Now it's being clearer.  I used to have wifi to my hr21-100 by way of a Belkin Gaming Adapter before it crapped out.  But when it did work I was able to do much what you describe as well as view pics from my network harddrive and music.  So I'll see what I can do with the RE1000 on my current hr21-100.  If it works there, it should work with the Genie...right?

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,985 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Yes, it should. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thanks

so assuming that the RE1000 does work on the Genie (hr34) would it also support the mini in the bedroom (while being connected to the Genie) with the same wifi functions, pandora, utube, etc?

#9 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Yes, the coax then supplies the network connection to the minis.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#10 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

Yes, the coax then supplies the network connection to the minis.

Thanks

Then I would hope and assume that the RE1000 when connected to the Genie would continue to act as a range extender as before.

#11 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

Some range extenders have problems passing DHCP addresses . . . you may need to assign static addresses to anything beyond the extender.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#12 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

My experience with the RE1000 makes me really wary of connecting with it.  Even with static IPs set, that thing failed me over and over.  Plus it mucked with my devices that were connecting wirelessly.  The extra wireless hop was just too wonky and prone to disconnection.  I'd try a powerline adapter before I would rely on that thing.  YMMV. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

Do you have any receivers close to or in the same room as your router?  I will try to stay away from wireless and powerline

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Do you have any receivers close to or in the same room as your router?  I will try to stay away from wireless and powerline

the only receiver in the same room with the modem/router is the old standard receiver.  I'm not even sure it has a ethernet connection.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

the only receiver in the same room with the modem/router is the old standard receiver.  I'm not even sure it has a ethernet connection.

that is good news because you can connect an DECA BB adapter using a 2 way SWM splitter to the coax feeding the SD receiver.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

that is good news because you can connect an DECA BB adapter using a 2 way SWM splitter to the coax feeding the SD receiver.

Thanks...I feel like I'm making progress here.  What you describe I believe is what the installer was trying to explain to me.  I'm sorta confused on the difference between our normal wifi (as we discussed and know before) and what we all know as the Genie network and the way it handles the recorded programs and such. i really want to be able to record a show and watch another in the bedroom.  Something I've never been able to do since the receiver only has one line in (long story there) It sounds like what all of you have been trying to explain to me, is that's where the DECA thingy comes in...? 

As far as the wifi, i was able to bring back my Belkin gaming Adapters from the dead.  They're about 5 years old and I think they had a reset issues when i first plugged in my RE1000.  When i tried to reconfigure them on this Vista machine, the disc said no.  Thankfully I have a standyby XP machine that filled in.  I've already put one of the Belkins back on the HR21-100 in the bedroom and was able to pull pics and music from the external hardrive as before.  Nice.  One thing that does sorta concern me is that my router (Linksys E3000) has 4 ports and they are all currently being used.  If necessary I could pull free one up.  Yeah...I'm a weather nut and do a lot of data feed to weather networks (another story)

I may give Directv a call back tomorrow and ask that I put everything back on the burner, Genie/Mini and NFL ST.  Maybe I'll luck out and get a installer who is Ok with my current dish othern than the LNB.  What types of questions do you suggest I ask the follow-on installer?  What about Ms. Utility?  I heard you have to call on a workday (Monday) and it takes 2-3 days for someone to come out...?

Thanks again!

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

as far as all ports taken (router) you can get a cheap network switch from your local electronics store

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

as far as all ports taken (router) you can get a cheap network switch from your local electronics store

Thanks...nice idea.

#19 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

One other question. Once I get my genie (rescheduled for July 25) can I continue to use my belkin gaming adapter to connect to the Internet or should I use that directv cinema connection kit?

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

use the CCK, wired is preferable 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...