Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Taking the HR34 to the Internet

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

One other question. Once I get my genie (rescheduled for July 25) can I continue to use my belkin gaming adapter to connect to the Internet or should I use that directv cinema connection kit?

Let's see if we can clear some things up for you...

The Genie and the mini client communicate over the coax cables installed in your house. Internet access does not come into play here. Whole Home (or MRV) among your receivers, DVRs, Genies, and clients is all done over this coax network.

In order to get Internet to your receivers, you need a bridge from your router to the coax network. There are a multitude ways of doing this. The easiest is to plug an Ethernet cable directly into your Genie. The Genie has a bridge built-in that allows it to do this. Once this is done, all other receivers will have Internet access. If you have an HR44, it also has the ability to connect to you router via wifi to create this bridge.

You can also use a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK). The CCK is connected to a coax somewhere in your house. Generally, it is connected to a coax that is located near your router. An Ethernet cable is then run from the CCK to the router. This creates that bridge from your home network to the coax network.

Another option (and this would probably be the last option I'd try) is to use a gaming adapter or extender like you are talking about. You would first set up the adapter/extender to connect back to your wireless router. Then just connect an Ethernet cable from it to the Genie. In a way, you are basically hardwiring the Genie, but you have a wireless hop in the middle. Due to issues with how these adapters/extenders work though, I would avoid this option.

Hope that helps explain some things.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

One other question. Once I get my genie (rescheduled for July 25) can I continue to use my belkin gaming adapter to connect to the Internet or should I use that directv cinema connection kit?

Let the installer put in the CCK. If your Genie is convenient to an ethernet wire, you can use that and keep the CCK as a back up. 

[Written before seeing previous post.]

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:39 AM

Let the installer put in the CCK. If your Genie is convenient to an ethernet wire, you can use that and keep the CCK as a back up. 

[Written before seeing previous post.]

Thanks for all the help and suggestions..  In the case of the CCK, is that something the installer would have with him?  Last installer seemed to be talking about tapping into my router (upstairs) while the Genie is in the living room.  I thought the CCK was placed next to the Genie and it picked up the signal much like my gaming adapter..?  or does the CCK need a direct ethernet to the router or Internet service.

Edited by VaJim, 21 July 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

The installer will very likely have CCKs on the truck. There is a wireless CCK, but I'd avoid that. The wired CCK taps into the router, and inserts the internet signals to all connected receivers via the same coax that carries the TV signals. The Genie has all that built in, and can be used instead of the CCK; very slick. 

#25 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

The installer will very likely have CCKs on the truck. There is a wireless CCK, but I'd avoid that. The wired CCK taps into the router, and inserts the internet signals to all connected receivers via the same coax that carries the TV signals. The Genie has all that built in, and can be used instead of the CCK; very slick. 

Thanks...I think I'm getting it now.  It sounds like the CCK (wired version) pulls the Intenet connection into the Directv line.  That way you have both right there, no need for wireless....?...I will have to get a router spliter...for my 4 ports are being used.  I do have a old netgear router...I wonder if I could use...?  Probably not for it might cause interference for my current router.

#26 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Certainly simpler to use a dedicated switch.

And, I believe you have "got it"! 

#27 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Certainly simpler to use a dedicated switch.

And, I believe you have "got it"! 

Thanks again.....I appreciate everyone pitching in to help me understands the mechanics of this.  I think what I'll do to free up one of the ports from the router is take one that support my weather direct (lacrosse) and since it looks like I won't be needing my gaming adapters, well there ya go.

...now if i can get pass the dish/lnb replacment I may be home free.  Calling ms utility tomorrow and the 2nd installer is due PM on July 25th

#28 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thanks...I think I'm getting it now.  It sounds like the CCK (wired version) pulls the Intenet connection into the Directv line.  That way you have both right there, no need for wireless....?...I will have to get a router spliter...for my 4 ports are being used.  I do have a old netgear router...I wonder if I could use...?  Probably not for it might cause interference for my current router.

Yup. The CCK is just the bridge from the coax network to your router (home network). The CCK can be connected to your router (or a switch on your network) via a direct Ethernet connection or if you have the wireless CCK, it can connect back to your router via Wifi. Most techs now only have the wired CCK so the wifi option would not even be there.

As for the ports on your router being used, you can either purchase a switch that has additional ports for you or you can possibly set up the old Netgear router to act as a switch. Basically, you would turn off the DHCP server on it. Also, unless there is a setting to turn the WAN port on the Netgear into a LAN port, you would just not use the WAN port at all.

- Merg

#29 OFFLINE   dall08fan

dall08fan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

If i am reading everything correctly, i could connect a ethernet cable directly to my Genie HR44(without a deca), installer told me not to do it that way or i would not get internet. Would then my HR21 also get internet connection through the coax cable? Right now the HR21 has a deca connected to it.

#30 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,285 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

Yes you can connect direct to the genie and you will get Internet to the hr21.

#31 OFFLINE   dall08fan

dall08fan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

Do i need to keep the deca on the hr21?

#32 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Do i need to keep the deca on the hr21?

Yes. Keep the DECA attached to the HR21. The DECA there splits the Ethernet traffic out of the coax network and sends it to the HR21's Ethernet port. The HR44, for all purposes, has a CCK built into it. You can remove the CCK the installer set up and plug an Ethernet cable directly into the HR44.

With regard to what the installer stated as to why you can't do that, the HR24, which has a DECA built-in, did not have the CCK built-in. This meant that if you plugged in an Ethernet cable to the HR24, it disabled the DECA in the HR24. So, in that case, it was have the HR24 connected to the Internet or have the HR24 connected to the coax network, which meant you could have MRV.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#33 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

To be sure, you must not run the CCK and ethernet direct to the Genie at the same time; one or the other!

#34 OFFLINE   dall08fan

dall08fan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

Thanks it works perfectly. Went ahead and connected wireless through the genie and my hr21 is also getting internet.

#35 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Thanks it works perfectly. Went ahead and connected wireless through the genie and my hr21 is also getting internet.

Good to hear!

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#36 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

Pardon the continuing questions concerning the genie and access to the Internet, but I am still trying to understand as I'm now hoping for a HR44.

Once my Genie (HR44) is installed with its wireless function, which is the best way to access the Internet, through the wireless function on the genie or by using the CCK?

In my case, even though the genie is not in the same room as my router, one of my HR21 will be and I could run an Ethernet to the router.  Is that the best way to go and does it require a CCK/DECA and will doing that bring the Internet to all of my receivers?

Currently my 2 HR21’s (non-home network) are accessing the Internet by way of the gaming adapters and for the most part they work well. 

#37 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Wired is preferred over wireless. 

You should have the installer hook up the CCK in the room where one of your HR21s is, via a DECA adaptor. That will give all receivers internet access as well as networked together over the coax. It's pretty slick and my two installations have been very solid. 

#38 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

Wired is preferred over wireless. 

You should have the installer hook up the CCK in the room where one of your HR21s is, via a DECA adaptor. That will give all receivers internet access as well as networked together over the coax. It's pretty slick and my two installations have been very solid. 

Thanks....that would be the upstairs room where I plan to move one of the HR21's.  So bringing the DECA inline will also take care of the other HR21 in the bedroom which has NO DECA...?

#39 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

You'd need a DECA addon for the other HR21, as they don't have them built in as do the Genies. The coax would be carrying both the DTV feed as well as internet and connectivity to your other DVRs. But there'd be one—and only one—point of connection with your LAN.

#40 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

You'd need a DECA addon for the other HR21, as they don't have them built in as do the Genies. The coax would be carrying both the DTV feed as well as internet and connectivity to your other DVRs. But there'd be one—and only one—point of connection with your LAN.

Thanks again.....I think I need to grab a copy of CCK or DECA for Dummies.  In going with a 'hard wire' connection to the Internet with the HR44/HR21's, I understand the DECA, but if you use the CCK does that mean you're back to wireless?  The CCK I've seen on the DTV website shows the DECA and a CCK interface (looks like a modem) and then talks about making a wireless connection/setup.  I'm obviously missing something.  Keeping in mind, my HR44 will not be close to the router so it will be one of the HR21's that will bring in the Net.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...