Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie and mini genie questions

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

1. Do the mini genies have a hdd or is main genie the only one with a hdd?

2. I have Internet and Phone with cable company. Cable modem/router connects Internet. Does DTV connect 2 cables to main genie or just 1? How would they connect Internet for DTV on main genie, cable from dish?

3. Since TVs connected to mini genies can record, can you keep each units recorded shows private?

4. I assume the mini genies would be silent if they don't record, but how about the main genie, such as any noise issue?

5. I know DTV has enticing promotions now, but after one year, how much would for equipment, taxes and fees cost?

I now have cable for everything, but considering DTV for just TV.

Thanks for your responses.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

1. The mini-genies are just little boxes almost as small as a pack of cigarettes. All recording is done on the Genie.

2. I also have internet and phone with my cable company. Internet connection is done through wi-fi.

3. No, you can see the list of all recorded programs from any tv.

4. No noise that I could detect, but I don't sit with my ear against the Genie while watching tv.

5. I'm still waiting to see that one myself.

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

1. No, no drive at all.  They have nothing but the guts needed to drive the RVU client, not even a tuner.  (They use a Genie tuner)

2. They can connect your Genie to the Internet 1 of 3 ways.  They could use a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) that hooks into your DECA "cloud" and to your router.  They could also just run network cable from your Genie to your router if it's close enough.  IF your Genie is an HR44 it can be hooked up via WiFi.  The "preferred" method is using the CCK.

3. No, everything is recorded and see on the Genie.

4. The Genie Clients and Genie are completely silent.

5. Your mileage may vary.  The only way to know for sure is to call DirecTV.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Thanks guys for the information.

I could go hard-wired to the HR 44 for on demand, and wouldn't that be the best way?

I have a choice where to put the HR 44 and in my den would be easiest installation for them, but concern for noise has me thinking may be better to have it in another room. I often sit quite close to the TV in my den when on the computer. Fan noise or hdd noise is annoying. I have all SSD in my computer.

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Yes, hardwired to the '44 is "a good thing". I'm with you on fan noise, why I have a Genie client in the BR. But the Genies are much quieter than previous HDRs.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

How about loss of signal? I live in the Poconos, and winters have their share of snow. My daughter says DTV often loses signal with rain and snow, and she is afraid of losing programs to record.

The HR 44 has, I believe, a terrabyte hdd. When I had DTV in the past, I believe it was a HR 24 and it had a 500GB hdd, not sure of the model, but am sure it was 500GB. The unit was extremely quiet, so how does the HR 44 compare to that one?

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

How about loss of signal? I live in the Poconos, and winters have their share of snow. My daughter says DTV often loses signal with rain and snow, and she is afraid of losing programs to record.

The HR 44 has, I believe, a terrabyte hdd. When I had DTV in the past, I believe it was a HR 24 and it had a 500GB hdd, not sure of the model, but am sure it was 500GB. The unit was extremely quiet, so how does the HR 44 compare to that one?

You're going to get loss of signal in heavy storms, no way around that.  It generally only lasts a few minutes though.

The HR44's are silent.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

You're going to get loss of signal in heavy storms, no way around that.  It generally only lasts a few minutes though.

The HR44's are silent.

Well, silent definitely sounds good, but I think that could be a matter of perception. If you sit within three feet of the HR 44, is it silent when recording?

#9 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

One more question, if for some reason you need to do a reset or reboot, would that only be done on the main genie HR 44?

#10 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

This thing is silent, believe me. You can reboot from the Genie to reset the system, even for when the clients mess up. You can reset the clients as well, but usually any problems with the clients are caused by the Genie so you may as well reset from there.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Well, silent definitely sounds good, but I think that could be a matter of perception. If you sit within three feet of the HR 44, is it silent when recording?

Yes.  The only time I hear anything from my HR44 is when it reboots.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

One more question, if for some reason you need to do a reset or reboot, would that only be done on the main genie HR 44?

That depends on why you are rebooting, resetting.  The Genie and Genie Client are rebooted individually.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

Yes.  The only time I hear anything from my HR44 is when it reboots.

So no hdd vibration or whine from what you say, which is surprising for a unit with terabyte hdd. Have you found any difference between client (mini genie) and HR 44 when using remote function?

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

So no hdd vibration or whine from what you say, which is surprising for a unit with terabyte hdd. Have you found any difference between client (mini genie) and HR 44 when using remote function?

Again, silent... 

No difference at all.  Using a Genie MiniClient is the same as using the Genie itself.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

Again, silent... 

No difference at all.  Using a Genie MiniClient is the same as using the Genie itself.

I guess the issue was with HR 34 and it's minis. I read people comments about that mini difference on the internet.

Sounds good from what you say, especially silent and functionality.

Thanks!

#16 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

The mini has no moving parts. It's just a wireless remote control "base" for the Genie, so to speak. There is one difference between the clients and the Genie as far as the remote. You can't do PIP on the tv's that have the clients.

Edited by mystic7, 20 July 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,492 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

As for snow, you can install a dish heater to help with that.

Mine is in a location I can just brush it off.

#18 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

The mini has no moving parts. It's just a wireless remote control "base" for the Genie, so to speak. There is one difference between the clients and the Genie as far as the remote. You can't do PIP on the tv's that have the clients.

Yes, I can see why the mini would be silent, but my concern was for the HR 44, which has a fan and hdd.

I had DTV in the past and recall snow was sometimes a problem. Once we had no TV service for a day because of the snow. My dish is high up on the roof, two-story house with full basement.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,620 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

You can have your dish installed in a pole if you think weather is a concern

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

You can have your dish installed in a pole if you think weather is a concern

They would have to install a pole and not sure that is feasible. I am on an incline with lots of trees around the house, which is probably why they need to put the dish high up on the roof. I am in the Pocono Mountain area.

spam firewall