Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie and mini genie questions

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

How high up on the roof?  If it requires the installer to get off a ladder, then they probably won't install it.

You also don't want it where it can't be reached during the winter w/o a dish heater as dpeters11 mentioned.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

How high up on the roof?  If it requires the installer to get off a ladder, then they probably won't install it.

You also don't want it where it can't be reached during the winter w/o a dish heater as dpeters11 mentioned.

Yes, it does require an installer to get off a ladder. The SWIM dish was installed years ago, but I assume any new dish would either be in same location or near where present exists. I don't know about a dish heater. How much would it cost to have it installed, including purchase?

I expect them to replace present dish if necessary in same location. I mean, they wouldn't put another dish in a different location requiring me to have 2 dishes?

#23 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

OSHA requires that if the installers have to get off a ladder and the roof is higher than 6' off the ground, they have to use fall protection. Fall protection isn't something most installers are willing to do nor are they willing to risk a first-time fine of $7,000 ($70,000 if OSHA has fined the company previously for the same violation). Fall protection for dish installers didn't get a lot of visibility until recently. So yes, they may end up installing a second dish. Or they may choose to ignore federal regulations; but that isn't DirecTV's policy.

But since you live in a snow area, you should install the dish where you can reach it from a ladder to clean or service it. Your installer may go on the roof today without fall protection, but he probably won't come January when your dish needs to be realigned due to a bad storm, but you have snow on your roof.

#24 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

OSHA requires that if the installers have to get off a ladder and the roof is higher than 6' off the ground, they have to use fall protection. Fall protection isn't something most installers are willing to do nor are they willing to risk a first-time fine of $7,000 ($70,000 if OSHA has fined the company previously for the same violation). Fall protection for dish installers didn't get a lot of visibility until recently. So yes, they may end up installing a second dish. Or they may choose to ignore federal regulations; but that isn't DirecTV's policy.

But since you live in a snow area, you should install the dish where you can reach it from a ladder to clean or service it. Your installer may go on the roof today without fall protection, but he probably won't come January when your dish needs to be realigned due to a bad storm, but you have snow on your roof.

Because we have lots of tall trees where I live, I don't think what you suggest is possible. I would either have to live with the occasional loss of signal, which doesn't only happen with snow, or stay with my cable company.

#25 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,273 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

note that fall protection enforcement varies greatly by market. So while there is a policy is not "written" in stone
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#26 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

Fall protection law doesn't vary by market though.

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,273 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Fall protection law doesn't vary by market though.

and who is implying this?????

what good is a law if it does not get enforced? !rolling
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

Since my SWM dish had one coax going to the DVR, I don't need a new dish.

#29 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

and who is implying this?????
what good is a law if it does not get enforced? !rolling

Seriously?

The law was put in place to save lifes. Just because there may not be an OSHA inspector within 100 miles doesn't mean it isn't a good law and that the law should be ignored.

#30 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

Since my SWM dish had one coax going to the DVR, I don't need a new dish.

Not necessarily.

What equipment do you have now and what will you have/keep if you get a genie installed?

If you go over nine turners, your LNB might need to be changed.

Is there one coax coming off the dish to a splitter right now? Or is there four wires coming off the dish to a multi-switch?

#31 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

Not necessarily.

What equipment do you have now and what will you have/keep if you get a genie installed?

If you go over nine turners, your LNB might need to be changed.

Is there one coax coming off the dish to a splitter right now? Or is there four wires coming off the dish to a multi-switch?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't have DTV now, but the Dish is still there. As I recall, there was one coax going to a splitter and from the splitter to my basement and up to the 3 TVs. Looking at the Dish, there is still one coax coming down.

I called a DTV local installer to inquire about the HR 44. He told me they will probably have it by end of August and the C41W, and said to call back.

Edited by Cavicchi, 21 July 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   yanksno1

yanksno1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts
  • LocationBoynton Beach, FL

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Do I still need the Whole-Home DVR Service fee for just the Genie and the Genie clients? I do have 2 other DVRs, but they won't be on the whole home network.

Lets Go Yankees!!!!

#33 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Do I still need the Whole-Home DVR Service fee for just the Genie and the Genie clients? I do have 2 other DVRs, but they won't be on the whole home network.

My understanding is when having Genie and clients you get that Whole-Home DVR service fee.

#34 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Yes, otherwise the clients won't work.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#35 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,273 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Seriously?

The law was put in place to save lifes. Just because there may not be an OSHA inspector within 100 miles doesn't mean it isn't a good law and that the law should be ignored.

But....you keep missing the point.... I never said it wasn't

All I said is that this is not enforced everywhere, this is a FACT.  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#36 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

1. No, no drive at all.  They have nothing but the guts needed to drive the RVU client, not even a tuner.  (They use a Genie tuner)

2. They can connect your Genie to the Internet 1 of 3 ways.  They could use a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) that hooks into your DECA "cloud" and to your router.  They could also just run network cable from your Genie to your router if it's close enough.  IF your Genie is an HR44 it can be hooked up via WiFi.  The "preferred" method is using the CCK.

3. No, everything is recorded and see on the Genie.

4. The Genie Clients and Genie are completely silent.

5. Your mileage may vary.  The only way to know for sure is to call DirecTV.

The Clients are silent but not the Genie. There is a fan in the Genie, HR44, and it does work. I believe it was Solid Signal's review that said HR44 Genie is not as quiet as HR24.

The only silent DVR I know of is sitting in my house, 500GB hdd_with_no_fan.

#37 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

Well, silent definitely sounds good, but I think that could be a matter of perception. If you sit within three feet of the HR 44, is it silent when recording?

I can verify that the HR44 is silent.  The hard drive *shouldn't* make any noise, but it all depends on the hard drive.  Some hard drives start out silent and over time make more noise.  That's just something we will all have to live with until solid state drives are the norm.  The power supply on the HR44 is external which eliminates the need for constant fan cooling, there is a fan that does kick on if the unit gets too hot.  So if the ambient temperature in the room is high the fan may kick on to protect the system. 

Edited by inf0z, 24 July 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

I can verify that the HR44 is silent.  The hard drive *shouldn't* make any noise, but it all depends on the hard drive.  Some hard drives start out silent and over time make more noise.  That's just something we will all have to live with until solid state drives are the norm.  The power supply on the HR44 is external which eliminates the need for constant fan cooling, there is a fan that does kick on if the unit gets too hot.  So if the ambient temperature in the room is high the fan may kick on to protect the system. 

Bottom line is the HR44 is not silent. Silent is my HD DVR with no fan. You could say the HR44 is almost silent, but to say silent is not accurate.

#39 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

Bottom line is the HR44 is not silent. Silent is my HD DVR with no fan. You could say the HR44 is almost silent, but to say silent is not accurate.

The HR44 IS silent.  The fan is not on 24/7.  Only at boot time and IF it gets hot.  If you keep the HR44 in an area that has air movement the fan doesn't kick on.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#40 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

I'm sure the 44 makes some noise, but I haven't heard it. Got one installed last week.  Moved an HR24 out of the Living Room and put the 44 in it's place.  The 24 we could sometimes hear; but not never when the TV was on. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...