Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

When are you charged for a downloadable movie?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

The wife was browsing through the new releases category from the movies icon out of the main search and browse menu.  She found one and selected it, thinking it would show the description or possibly offer a trailer.  However it said "Preparing for playback" and we thought well maybe its just the trailer.  It started playing the opening, while in the lower right corner it said about the spending limit of $0.00 was reached unlock or more info.  However the video was playing even though that spending limit message was on screen.  I told her to hit stop and get out of there, were not paying $6 for this.  Later we noticed it was downloading in the playlist.  I told her to hit the red button and DELETE it.

So will we be charged $6 for watching 15 seconds of the production companies opening sequence at the start of the film, or for the fact that it was downloading to the playlist?  Seems like the spending limit is worthless,I mean i have it set to $0 to prevent accidental purchases from our baby playing with the remote... however the video was playing anyway.  I mean it would be annoying to watch a movie with that message on the screen the whole time, but still the fact is that it even started playing.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

You are not charged until you say you are buying it. If a message other than "thanks for the purchase, enjoy your movie" is on the screen, you didn't buy it and won't be charged. You typically get the first five minutes free.

Add: you can download it and watch the beginning all you want. If you don't buy it, it don't pay. And with the limit, that would require entering your code.

Edited by tonyd79, 20 July 2013 - 07:15 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Yup. Generally, you can watch the first 5 minutes of a PPV showing for free. At that point, if you haven't paid for it, it would cut off.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yup. Generally, you can watch the first 5 minutes of a PPV showing for free. At that point, if you haven't paid for it, it would cut off.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Yep, right on.  I always use this "loop hole" to test DirecTV's 1080p format on customers TVs

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

Yep, right on.  I always use this "loop hole" to test DirecTV's 1080p format on customers TVs

When you select 1080p it performs a test with the receiver for the TV to ensure it's capable.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

Good to know! Thanks everyone.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

When you select 1080p it performs a test with the receiver for the TV to ensure it's capable.

It can be misleading sometimes. I like the "real" test better
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...