Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Red Button Reset

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

My 17 month old HR34 just froze in the to do list. Couldn't even turn it off on the front of the receiver, so I did

a RBR and after a couple of pink screens it came back to life. Now I have to wait a day or two for the guide to

repopulate. While I was waiting for it to restart I wondered if it would be better to unplug it then plug it back in.

Would I still loose the guide data by unplugging it and then pugging it right back in??

Tks

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,844 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

Yes, unplugging does basically the same as the RBR, maybe a little bit more sometimes.

If you do the RBR or unplug twice in a 30 minute period it will lose ever single entry in the guide and have to rebuild from scratch and takes 2 days or more sometimes to complete. Sometimes this fixes guide data being wrong problems.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

You lose the guide data after a single RBR if the guide data is corrupt.  If the guide data were ok a single RBR wouldn't dump it.  It normally takes 2 reboots within 30 mins to dump the guide data.

Sounds like you had some corrupt data that caused the lockup and that corrupt data got dumped when you RBR'd.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Tks for the info...

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Yes, unplugging does basically the same as the RBR, maybe a little bit more sometimes.

From HW and SW points of view restart, RBR and cold reboot (cycle power off/of) are different by nature and human's design and intention.

Easy to say, cold reboot is about to bring a device to what non-volatile values dictates (say jumpers and/or pullup/pulldown pins, NVRAM settings, later, during SW bootloader time);

RBR or same RST signal sent by application (difference between the two is SW could do some actions, like flush sectors from a RAM cash to a drive) usually not going into reset each bit/flag in peripheral chips and CPU itself (actually, it's a bunch of separate parts combined on one die).

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

There are basically 3 ways to restart your receiver:

1)Thru the menu system

2)  IF your unit is not responding to remote commands, use red button reset

3)  If that method fails, pull the plug

pulling the plug should be used as a last resort.  If you want to pull the plug to kill the power to it, use methods 1 or 2 above and when all the lights go out when it is beginning its reboot cycle, then pull the plug.  Its always the safest way.

Edited by CCarncross, 22 July 2013 - 06:23 AM.

#7 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,844 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

I am aware of the software restart and prefer it any time it can be used.

In this case the TS machine was frozen and had no choice except to RBR or unplug and re-plug.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...