Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie and 4 Mini ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

I have an install coming this friday for 1 Genie and 4 mini's and reading some of the print it says that only 4 stb's can be on at one time.

Is this so,because we have a medium/large size family and most likely all 5 stb (including genie) could all be on during any given night?

A'm I reading it wrong? Could someone explain it in better detail because I just had Uverse and ATT recommended I switch to Directv as uverse could only handle 4 streams at a time and would cause alot of recording conflict with a large family.

The Genie will be set up in the living/family room next to a ATT gateway/router as I just got a bundled deal from them and the 4 mini's would be in 4 different bedrooms.

I plan to have the Genie hardwire since the router will be basically inches away from it so I can recieve Ondemand content and Pandora,Youtube apps via D* remote.

Also another question,how is the Ondemand selection ?

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

Correct only 4. The server and any of the 3 clients can watch live tv. Might as well call and cancel and reorder and get a HD ird in place of a client. And for please god sake don't buy into the line ''just tell the installer" or "we will put a note on it so the installer knows". Don't gamble just re-order and get either a another IRD (HD DVR, HD ird or STB ird) in place of that 4th client. 

The Server( Genie) connects to your home broadband and uses it to download loads shows in a faux on-demand fashion. 

Edited by Grydlok, 21 July 2013 - 02:49 PM.

Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#3 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

The Genie can only serve 3 minis at a time.  If you need all 5 active at the same time the 5th location needs to be a regular receiver or DVR. It will still be able to view recordings on the Genie and if you get a DVR you will be able to share its recordings with the rest of the house.

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

Thanks guys,so if I swapped the fourth genie mini with a HDDVR that will give me 7 tuners available to record and also all 5 stb could be on at the same time doing whatever they want (live tv,ondemand).

Also which is the best standalone hddvr.

thanks again.
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#5 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Yes, you are correct Genie, 3 minis and a DVR will give you 7 functional tuners and all 5 boxes could be on.  The HR24 is the best DVR but you have no control over what you get unless you obtain it from a reseller such as Solid Signal.  That said, from what I have read it seems all new installs are getting HR24s. The HR21 - HR23 are just being used as replacements for failed DVRs

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Thanks guys,so if I swapped the fourth genie mini with a HDDVR that will give me 7 tuners available to record and also all 5 stb could be on at the same time doing whatever they want (live tv,ondemand).

thanks again.

Yeah just swap it for an HD DVR. Probably you would get and HR-24. 

Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#7 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

One note, just FYI the DVR will not pool its tuners with the Genie.  It can record 2 shows or record one and watch one live but if one is idle it cant be used by anything else.

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thanks again guys for the undestanding I will call and exchange a mini for a HDVR.

Here's hoping for a nice clean thorough install this friday.I cant wait, as I got NFL ST MAX free for the year.
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

thanks again.

Not the case, while the 5 STB can be on at the same time, there is only one On Demand show at a time per DVR.  Since you are going to have two (Genie and HDVR) the most VOD you can do a one time is 2.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Also, the Genie can only serve three remote streams at any given time, so even if you have an HD receiver or DVR as your fifth unit, it will not be able to stream a recording from the Genie if all 3 clients are in use. It could watch live, and if it is a DVR it can pause, FF, rewind live as well as record and play it's own recordings, but it could only stream a recording from the Genie if one of the clients was not in use.

Also, the HD DVR can only do one remote stream at a time, so if you record on it, at most one other location (Genie or client) could watch a recording from that DVR at any given time.

Just want to make sure you are aware of the limitations that you will have. A Genie, 3 clients, and an HD DVR will be a solid and capable system. But it will be limited as noted here and in peds48 post above regarding on demand.

spam firewall