Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34-700 drops sound and black screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:33 AM

I have software 0x725.  Unit new in December 2012.  Have had a lot of 1-2 second freezes and jittery screens lately that I just attributed to DTV satellite or solar flare issues - now maybe not.  Now a more serious issue pops up.  Friday night I put the Genie on the Weather Channel, then pushed the remote's red button to see the local forecast.  While viewing the forecast, the sound dropped out on the inbox video of TWC.  The sound never came back while on that local forecast so I turned the unit off with the remote.  It then took 9 presses of the ON remote button to get the Genie to come back on.  When it did, there was no video or sound.  Performed a Red button reset which corrected the issue. 

While the Genie was rebooting I went upstairs to watch TV on an R22-200 where repeating the Weather channel and local forecast didn't cause the R22 to go haywire and the sound was fine.

Went back downstairs after the Genie rebooted and switched to TWC and then viewed the local forecast.  Lo and behold the sound dropped again.  Then again, after turning Genie off with the remote it took 9 presses of the ON button to get the Genie back on to again only show a black screen with no sound.  A Red button reset again fixed the issue.

Any thoughts, guys?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,360 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

Most "no sound" and "no picture" problems stem from an HDMI problem. This could be the cable, the socket it is plugged into on either end.

I would try changing the cable to another Input on the TV first. If that does not cure it, I would then switch out the cable to see if that fixes it.

Resetting the receiver is forcing the receiver and the TV to go thru a fresh HDMI handshake and reconnecting for a short time.

I have no suggestions about the unit taking 9 presses of the remote to turn it back on.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

There is a known problem with the Weather Channel causing this, something to do with the interactive content. Just to confirm, this only happens with TWC, correct?

#4 OFFLINE   wxguy

wxguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

I've got an HR22-100 that does the same thing with the weather channel. Today i tuned the weather channel and waited for the 15 second takeover that it goes through before you can do anything else. Then it beeped and displayed that there is a watch in my county. 

I changed back to the previous channel and NO SOUND. Went back to the weather channel and it had no sound. Left it on there cause I couldn't change channels while it loaded its red button data, then it beeped and the audio came on. Switched channels and no sound still. 

No audio on HDMI hookup or component source. Decided it was the Directv box that was locked up. Did a system reset and waited for the load to work. and the sound was there. Definitely not an HDMI handshake problem cause it didn't work on analog source either.

Solution for me is to block the weather channel on my lineup. Kind of a waste anyhow for me since the internet or smart phone tells me whatever I need to know without having to put up with all their non-weather junk.

#5 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,360 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

When you tried the Component hookup, did you also have the HDMI plugged into the TV ?

The HDMI should not be hooked up when using the Component cables.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

As long as the HDMI is connected to the same TV as the component cables, there should be no difference if one or both are connected.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   wxguy

wxguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

As long as the HDMI is connected to the same TV as the component cables, there should be no difference if one or both are connected.

Dunno. When I've lost handshake before, i just switched to component to watch the show til I reach a point to reset.

The weather channel also screwed up audio on my H21 upstairs so I just deselected them on all my channel lineups. Problem solved.

#8 OFFLINE   tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

There is a known problem with the Weather Channel causing this, something to do with the interactive content. Just to confirm, this only happens with TWC, correct?

Yes, this only happened with TWC.  I was suspicious that TWC might have been the issue, but was then concerned that it was my HR34 when my R22 didn't produce the problem.  Has it been a known issue for very long or only associated with the HR34 or with certain software updates?

spam firewall