Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Signal level for hd reception.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mellentown

Mellentown

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'm thinking about signing up for service again so I hooked my old DirecTivo up to the dish on the roof. The dish is the 18" model and is going on 4yrs old.

Anyhow, my look at the 101 satellite is thru a fair amount of trees so I was concerned about being able to pick up the hd bird since it in a different spot. So with the current dish and the old receiver I'm showing signal level from a low of 82 to a high of 98 with one 100( think it might be a spot beam). Those signal levels are while we have moderate rain showers moving thru.

So do you think I will get an acceptable level from the hd birds?

Thanks for looking.

Mel

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,741 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

18" Round is ONLY for SD

Edited by Drucifer, 22 July 2013 - 10:11 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

If you can get those signal levels on 101, it is likely you'd be able to get good signals from the HD sats since they're only 2* on either side. As Drucifer says that dish is for SD only, you'd need a new one. You can always sign up for Directv and they'll send someone out for an install, which would include replacing your dish. If they can't get a proper signal then you won't get charged or be held to a contract so you've nothing to lose by trying.

With the signal levels you report you aren't going through any trees, it probably just looks that way since the LNB arm is aimed below where the satellite is. It is possible they'll refuse to install even if you can get good signal, if it looks like the trees will soon grow high enough to block your signal. Alternatively, they might want to relocate the dish elsewhere to avoid that.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

... With the signal levels you report you aren't going through any trees, it probably just looks that way since the LNB arm is aimed below where the satellite is. ... 

You know I think its actually the perpendicular to dish face which is at a lower angle than it receives from by an amount of the dish offset angle. Looking carefully the LNB arm appears to have about a 23 degree upward angle equal to the offset of the dish.

Therefore I feel the arm then points to the satellite's real position, such that if you were to peer through the feed arm tube of a correctly aimed dish assembly (that is with the LNB and cables removed) it should be pointing right at the point in the sky where the satellite is on the Clarke belt,

Academic of course, but just some personal observations of interesting note here ... :)   

Edited by HoTat2, 23 July 2013 - 10:00 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

Well, all I knew was that the satellite isn't actually where the average person would think it is based on looking at the dish, so Mellentown probably isn't getting his signal through the trees like he believes :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#6 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

Here is a good image to visualize where the signal is actually coming from:

angle.gif

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   Mellentown

Mellentown

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

I guess that was my concern is the take off angle. The first tree is only 25ft or so from the dish and is taller that the house but it looks to be aimed to the right of that tree.

The other trees are probably 40ft. to 50ft away and around 30ft tall.

And I'm more used to dealing with big C-Band dishes or the 1.8 meter VSAT dishes. Figure Direct is more like VSAT.

I ran the sat signal test again last night when we had what radar showed as very dense(dark red) storm over top and extending south of us and my lowest transponder was a 65.

I'm going to have a dish installer come out and do the install. Hopefully I can still get the package pricing without the DVR service. No sense paying for something we never use. All I want is the HD service because the HD from the local cable company stinks.

Mel

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Hopefully I can still get the package pricing without the DVR service. No sense paying for something we never use. All I want is the HD service because the HD from the local cable company stinks.

If all you have are HD receivers (not DVRs), there will be no DVR or whole-home fee.  If you have a DVR, you will be charged the DVR fee (whether or not you use it).

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,200 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

I guess that was my concern is the take off angle. The first tree is only 25ft or so from the dish and is taller that the house but it looks to be aimed to the right of that tree.

The other trees are probably 40ft. to 50ft away and around 30ft tall.

And I'm more used to dealing with big C-Band dishes or the 1.8 meter VSAT dishes. Figure Direct is more like VSAT.

I ran the sat signal test again last night when we had what radar showed as very dense(dark red) storm over top and extending south of us and my lowest transponder was a 65.

I'm going to have a dish installer come out and do the install. Hopefully I can still get the package pricing without the DVR service. No sense paying for something we never use. All I want is the HD service because the HD from the local cable company stinks.

Mel

Using the DVR will change your TV habits.

I record 4 to 6 programs per night. Then I watch them the next night while the DVR is recording what I will watch the next night.

Commercials have gotten completely out of hand and the DVR is your only combat weapon.

By fast forwarding thru the 4 to 5 minute blocks of commercials every 12 to 15 minutes of a program you can easily watch 4 hours of programming in 3 hours time. 

You can ( with the HDDVR, not the Genie ) record 2 shows at one time while playing one you previously recorded. The Genie has even more capability.

You can start a show exactly when you want to watch it, pause it and pick it up at any later time, etc.

Speaking of pausing. It is incredible how often I pause live TV. yep, I watch that sometimes when I have to.

How often do you see a shot of a person looking at something written in the program and it went by too fast for you to read it ? Yep, rewind it, go back to it and hit pause. Now you have all the time you want to read it and then go forward.

When watching a race or a ball game of some kind you can go back and hold the play button down and it will shift into slow motion so you can analyze what just happened.

Edited by jimmie57, 24 July 2013 - 11:53 AM.

• scoop8 likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Using the DVR will change your TV habits.

I record 4 to 6 programs per night. Then I watch them the next night while the DVR is recording what I will watch the next night.

Commercials have gotten completely out of hand and the DVR is your only combat weapon.

By fast forwarding thru the 4 to 5 minute blocks of commercials every 12 to 15 minutes of a program you can easily watch 4 hours of programming in 3 hours time. 

You can ( with the HDDVR, not the Genie ) record 2 shows at one time while playing one you previously recorded. The Genie has even more capability.

You can start a show exactly when you want to watch it, pause it and pick it up at any later time, etc.

Speaking of pausing. It is incredible how often I pause live TV. yep, I watch that sometimes when I have to.

How often do you see a shot of a person looking at something written in the program and it went by too fast for you to read it ? Yep, rewind it, go back to it and hit pause. Now you have all the time you want to read it and then go forward.

When watching a race or a ball game of some kind you can go back and hold the play button down and it will shift into slow motion so you can analyze what just happened.

w7273l.jpg

Ad-skipping saves time.  I DVR just about everything except for sports but I'll occasionally use the double-play feature for that.

I was at my Mom's the other night and forgot she had an H23 and I kept pressing the fast-fwd button by habit.

Someone at the forum predicted months ago that the network programmers would lock out the fast-fwd option in the provider DVR's but I'm not buying that happening as yet.  I'd think there would be a huge blowback if they implemented that into DVR's.

If that happened, the mute button would get a big work-out on my Remote as I never listen to ads when I'm watching live TV.

DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#11 OFFLINE   Mellentown

Mellentown

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

So I went ahead and had my install yesterday. I got a HR34(?) for the living room and a c-31 for the bedroom.

The installer moved the dish to the shed behind my home because he was concerned about the trees. The old SD dish was looking thru a hole in the trees.

Signals are all in the 90s except for 1 at 89 so I think I will be ok.

mel

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,200 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

Excellent Choice.

I think you will love it. There is a lot to learn about these Recorders and how smart they are.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

spam firewall